Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th June 2012, 02:12 AM   #1
rachelmorgan

Smile Web Directory Submission

Hi All,

Does web directory submission danger?

Thanks

Old 4th June 2012, 08:46 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I assume you're asking from an SEO point of view?

It doesn't pose a particular danger if you're careful which directories you submit to. For instance, steer clear of phony "directories" that have no editorial review and that require a link back from your site.

On the other hand, submitting to directories isn't going to do you a lot of good, either. The links from most of them aren't particularly valuable, and many of the larger ones designate their links as "nofollow" or run links through JavaScript or another redirect that renders them worthless for link-building.

--Torka

Old 4th June 2012, 11:36 AM   #3
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

It's useful to submit to directories--but only the trusted, authority type directories that require some sort of editorial review. I prefer dmoz.org, botw.org, and Yahoo! Directory. There are others, and you can find them by searching Google for "best directories" or another similar keyword phrase.

When submitting to directories, think of the fact that Google likes what's "natural", and it's natural for your site to be listed in some of the trusted directories--and it's not natural for your site to suddenly get thousands or hundreds of links from low quality directories.

Old 4th June 2012, 06:31 PM   #4
GMT

dmoz is the top of the top for web directories but all submissions are manually approve(most don't make it) and it can take years...so probably not worth the effort. In terms of other web directories I'd stay away from the far less know ones, they can seen as link farms and since they're not ranked on google very well anyway and as such they won't add much link juice. The idea is no longer about quantity but quality, find the best and post there, and you'll do far better than posting 1000's to crappy sites.

GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Kevin Smtih

After the researched by SEOmoz.They come on one point that Google banned and penalized around 2000 directories.Which is not sufficient and effective for website due its quality and reputation.I would recommend that use those websites which have good reputation and domain authority.

Kevin Smtih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 02:21 AM   #6
rachelmorgan

Smile

Thanks friends. So we need to check the Page Authority and domain authority of every directory before posting. As far as directories being penalized, Penguin hit an all encompassing variety of sites - not just directories.

Old 5th June 2012, 06:28 AM   #7
gab

Default dmoz.org

Is it still possible to become listed on dmoz.org - and if so does anyone have any tips on how to achieve it? Thanks

gab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 12:30 PM   #8
garrett123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
Is it still possible to become listed on dmoz.org - and if so does anyone have any tips on how to achieve it? Thanks
Ive been trying to get a listing in DMOZ since 2006, when i started online. I've never been able to.
You have to be an editor or pay an editor to get in. I think there are alot better ways to get links these days. Its not worth the headache.

garrett123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 03:09 PM   #9
mackyanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett123 View Post
Ive been trying to get a listing in DMOZ since 2006, when i started online. I've never been able to.
You have to be an editor or pay an editor to get in. I think there are alot better ways to get links these days. Its not worth the headache.

Agree, as I read some news about DMOZ that it is not really accepting links unless you've do something for them. I think that makes DMOZ not a legitimate site to submit to. As you browse some of the list of them, you can see that it's not really that sharp list of site. There are so many people that hates DMOZ for what they are doing.

mackyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 10:12 PM   #10
ChrisLeads

Nice question, I am doing Directory submission and I have no idea that there's a lot of directory sites that are banned or penalized.

Thanks for the post.

ChrisLeads is offline   Reply With Quote