Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th September 2012, 01:23 AM   #1
borgninestallon
VIP Contributor

Default Directory Submission Will Be Helpful In Today's SEO Trends?

Hi, do you think that in today's SEO industry directory submission will help anymore in ranking a site in search engines.

Actually directory submission is the oldest method in ranking a site. But after the recent Google penguin update will doing directory helps in ranking a site or keywords. Also, we would not get instant approval from the directories and also if we get instant approval, the category page you were given backlinks will not cached or indexed means, what is use in submitting in those directories?

Old 20th September 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgninestallon View Post
Will directory submission will help anymore in ranking a site in search engines.

what is use in submitting in those directories?
It is questionable.

Sometimes you might find it more worthwhile submitting to an expensive, advertised directory for natural traffic.

Have a look at this thread http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=52785 for more commentary

Last edited by Hampers; 20th September 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 05:56 AM   #3
JessicaJohn

Definitely directories submission is still effective source to get do-follow, good page rank backlinks which can help you a lot to get good figure of traffic and fast indexing.

JessicaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
WebEminence

I would typically do directory submissions once for a new website and then not do it any more unless I find high traffic and relevant directories that are usually paid directories. I think this is a pretty natural thing to do. I can definitely say the paid relevant directories produce traffic and probably help rankings but I can't say for sure for the directory submissions.

Old 20th September 2012, 04:12 PM   #5
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Human edited directories are the best, but directories have been devalued of late. Make sure the directory is high quality and don't overuse the technique, or you could bring a penalty upon yourself.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 01:40 AM   #6
nehadas87

Directory submissions are still effective but don't go for bulk submissions. Submit your website only on those directory which is indexed by Google.

Old 21st September 2012, 03:23 AM   #7
borgninestallon
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehadas87 View Post
Directory submissions are still effective but don't go for bulk submissions. Submit your website only on those directory which is indexed by Google.
I agree with you. But it is very much hard to find the category page in each directory and check whether it is indexed or not indexed by Google.

Old 26th September 2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Matt121

Directory submission is good. However, I noticed that the quality of backlinks from directories decline after a few months after you've posted the link. I guess we should refresh the link with a new one from time to time.

Old 26th September 2012, 04:06 PM   #9
HireLogoDesign

Lol
Quote:
I agree with you. But it is very much hard to find the category page in each directory and check whether it is indexed or not indexed by Google.
It is tough sometimes to even find the category. As others have stated quality is better. This doesn't mean you have to always use paid directories. It varies between niche so I'm not sure where you will be able to go. As with anything else keep it at a moderate pace as to not flood with new links. Even if they are natural you may get penalized by google or worse! I'm building right now and though it is slow at first it will speed up naturally soon enough.

Old 27th September 2012, 01:07 PM   #10
AlbertMora

Zero in on manual directory submission to reputed directories and directories related to your business.

AlbertMora is offline   Reply With Quote