Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th March 2009, 10:19 AM   #1
isiginamo

Send a message via AIM to isiginamo
Arrow Mentally Prepared To Start Part Time Business... Need Your Help!

Hello to everyone here at the Small Business Forums! As I stated in my title, I have been mentally preparing myself for starting a business for years! This is not something I want to throw myself into, it is something that I have been contemplating and researching for quite sometime. I have been in sales for 8 years now, starting as a telemarketer selling coupon books around the country, then into car sales where I soared in the beginning but fell victim to my conscious as I didn't want the persona of ripping people off and to be honest sometimes I was doing just that, and the last 2 years I have been an inside sales rep for a radiation oncology company. I love sales, probably becasue I get to help someone find something that creates a solution for their problem... whether it be they need a bigger car... or a doctor needing a better device to treat cancer. To me it's the big picture... I don't get too excited about the sale, it's all about knowing I impacted someone. My biggest hobby is researching, I know it's funny, but I like to get the full picture before making decisions, and I use this as a sales technique to show someone why my solution is better. I also like fixing things, I am very mechanical, I took auto mechanics when I was younger, and I worked construction for a couple years, and last I like numbers! When I mean numbers I don't mean complex math problems, but when it comes to money and explaining it to people, the numbers leap off the page! I was explaining mortgages, rates, programs for first time buyers to my loan officer, becasue I knew more than her, mainly because I did my research before I made a decision.... Anyway... I don't know what kind of business to start. I would like to start something that can start small and grow as I am able to devote more time. I have about $8-10k to start something, but would prefer to use less to start. It would have to be something that can start part time, and then something that will still allow me to spend plenty of time with my family! I am not out to make it rich, just support my family. Thank you for any and all ideas. -- Joe

Last edited by isiginamo; 26th March 2009 at 10:33 AM.
isiginamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th March 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
isiginamo

Send a message via AIM to isiginamo
Default in addition

The town I live in is pretty small, population of about 10000. If I could start a small business here that would be great, but it has quite a few limitations as the population is so small. I would prefer something that can start or be expanded to reach more people. If I am able to start a business that creates enough cashflow for me to leave my current job, I was thinking about starting part time in real estate to help supplement my families income while the business is evolving into something more profitable and stable. OK... now shoot with ideas~!!!

Thanks!

isiginamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 09:31 PM   #3
bookworm

Did you think about technology sales opportunities? Perhaps you can try yourself as a software reseller. From what you describe you are good at learning new things, and with software most of the time you can work from your home office on the phone and doing demos through screen sharing solutions.

bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote