Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th March 2010, 06:34 AM   #1
1Social Media

Default Facebook Vs LinkedIN

Atleast one way, early social networks are like a high school party Ė when parents get home the fun stops and everybody leaves. But as social elements become the driving force behind many of the webís most popular sites, an increasing number of consumers young and old are finding casual online conversation crucial in maintaining and expanding business relationships. The argument over whether Facebook should be used for business will rumble on with strong views on both sides. Itís irrelevant really, because itís going to be used for business anyway. Itís also good to see that LinkedIn is finally sharpening up its act Ė because until very recently many people didnít feel that it was a social network at all.

So my question is very simple Facebook Vs LinkedIn. Which one is the best right now?

1Social Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th March 2010, 01:37 PM   #2
ecommerceguru

I think the decision should be based on your target market. Traditionally Linkedin is much more conservative and professional, where as facebook draws a much wider, diverse crowd. I don't have the demographics in front of me, but they are different, distinct channels - so as in most cases, it depends on the business and your branding strategy.

ecommerceguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 05:51 PM   #3
deniseoberry

Send a message via Skype™ to deniseoberry

Facebook and LinkedIn are both good channels for small business owners to connect with others and grow their network. You need to decide what your goals are for reaching out to other people and "be where they are." For some that will be FB and others LI. FB is a bit more casual than LI, but they both can offer benefit to you.

deniseoberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 11:05 AM   #4
janicejan

For me both are great, but the reason why facebook has more users than linkedin is, almost everyone can use it and it offers a lot of applications, games and also easy connection with other users over the network. and this what makes people stay longer on the site. While linkedin is specially made for professionals which makes it harder for a 16 year old teen to use it.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I don't think you can directly compare Linkedin and Facebook, yes they come under the bracket of social media, however, Linkedin is for professionals and essentially it is your CV, whereas Facebook is and was designed for fun, where you share applications, virtually poke people, update your status and share photos

The two are completely different in those respects, however, they are social so I guess they are related because of that factor

I update my Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin Status from one application

I have groups on both Linkedin and Facebook but FB wins hands down on that score, I have not had much success with Linkedin groups, I find them a bit boring to use and not very user friendly as an experience

Simone

Old 31st March 2010, 12:32 AM   #6
JC1227

It seems to me, LinkedIn profile is more SEO friendly and could be good inbound link to your site/business. Since LinkedIn is social network for professionals. So, I guess the weight Google has for LinkedIn is probably heavier. Just my 2 cents.

Old 31st March 2010, 08:11 AM   #7
brain

Both are a good means of marketing your business. Face book is more of a networking portal so there your marketing plan will be different and linkedin is a professional portal so there activities would be different.

brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 07:13 PM   #8
GT3 Digital

Send a message via Skype™ to GT3 Digital

A lot of good advice above but I would like to add one more bit of detail and that is that facebook allows consumers and customers to actually interact with your brand. Applications, Video, Images, wall postings etc. all mean that your 'fans' can actually engage with you in a rich way that linkedin doesn't offer at this time. I don't think that it makes Facebook better, just different; a point that has been made in several posts already. All of the social media tools have things that they do well so rather than thinking either or, you should approach them as different tools in the toolbox.

Best,
g.

GT3 Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 05:01 AM   #9
geyser

although facebook and linkedin fall under the same bracket as social media sites, there are big difference between their concept so they are not really comparable. Although we all know that if we compare traffic and activities, facebook wins hands down on it.

geyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:31 AM   #10
joshua99
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain View Post
Both are a good means of marketing your business. Face book is more of a networking portal so there your marketing plan will be different and linkedin is a professional portal so there activities would be different.
You are spot on. In fact it will all depend on your niche and your marketing strategy.
In my opinion you should use both

joshua99 is offline   Reply With Quote