Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st September 2009, 10:20 PM   #1
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Default Using Twitter And Facebook Together To Drive Sales

We've had some excellent luck using Twitter and Facebook together to drive traffic and - eventually - sales. It has been a slog, but it has been demonstrably effective and I've had a great time doing it.

I created a Facebook page for my business, and used the Wall as a blogging platform. People who are interested in my company's products tend to be interested in a short list of related topics, so I've been posting items about those topics to our Facebook Wall, usually with a joke or a snarky take, just to make it interesting or funny. I'd intersperse these posts with the rare post about our own products.

Then, I identified other Facebook pages that relate to those topics of interest, and that had a high number of Fans. I added these pages to our pages list of Favorites. I was quite selective, adding only a dozen or so high quality pages.

Meanwhile, on Twitter, I'd opened an account and Tweet shortened versions of the Facebook blog posts. I'd follow Tweeters that specialize in those same topics that appear in my Facebook Wall posts, retweet their content, and insinuate my company in a community of Twitter users that are interested in the same topics addressed on my Facebook page.

Then, I'd very occasionally Tweet about my company's products.

The event that brought it all together in the end was a promotion, a giveaway of one of my products to a random Facebook fan. To win, all you had to do was become a fan of the Facebook page. The promotion lasted one month. I tweeted about it occasionally, and my twitter network retweeted the message for me, driving more fans to our Facebook page.

We went from 26 fans to 113 in three weeks. I can directly attribute 9 sales in August to Facebook and Twitter. Not a huge number of sales, but 9 more than I had before, and our base keeps growing, and may generate more sales down the road.

I am a convert to the Church of Social Networking. Can I get Amen?

4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th September 2009, 02:57 AM   #2
IsraelExporter

Amen!

IsraelExporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 10:20 PM   #3
SBMarketingGuy

I would definitely set-up a blog as well, and consider using video in your marketing. The video can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. You should tweet about an update on your blog, on your blog you'll have a video demonstrating your product or answering commons questions about it, and then have a link to your website below the video for individuals to make an order. This combination is extremely effective for driving sales as it builds an incredible amount of trust. Don't pitch on the video, simply use the video to inform and educate. Then put a link under the video with a link to buy or find out more.

SBMarketingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 06:23 AM   #4
IsraelExporter

The more you will use these networks to market your information the more your business will grow.

IsraelExporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Jenn Korell

Send a message via Skype™ to Jenn Korell

Great story -- I love that you included specific ROI. As you said, 9 new customers are 9 new customers! I think that's awesome.

Have you had any success with (or experimented with at all) advertising your page on Facebook?

Jenn Korell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 09:49 AM   #6
small business

I am having a hard time getting retwits! How do you do that...

small business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Jenn Korell

Send a message via Skype™ to Jenn Korell

People will naturally RT items that are of interest to them. Post urls (use tiny url to make them smaller and allow for more characters) that will be helpful to people in you interest-area. Another way to grab attention and RTs is to do promotional activities via Twitter (a sale, giveaway, or coupon.)
Finally, remember that your Tweet should be 140 characters minus the amount of characters your username + RT [email protected] take up so people can RT you with ease. As an example: RT @SMMJenn is 11 characters (including the space) so my retweetable posts must be less than 121. Make sense?

Jenn Korell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 11:52 PM   #8
mybusiness

I tried twitter but I didnt have much luck there. I receive so much spam on twitter. I like using myspace and facebook. Facebook is my favorite because you can post a message and it will go to the wall of all your friends.

Anyone use Meetup.com I'm thing about join that next.

mybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 04:05 PM   #9
JenandMike

Hey 4ndr3w,

Can you give me some steps on how to set up a facebook fan page? We are very new to facebook and the internet business and we have no idea how to do it. I have been given a few "suggestions" but was wondering if you could help us out...

Jen and Mike

JenandMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 08:46 PM   #10
ngseosept

I've noticed that most companies are also into the Facebook and Twitter marketing. Both of these sites have millions of members worldwide which can help a business in getting clients. These sites are also useful for promotions like events and distributing freebies.

ngseosept is offline   Reply With Quote