Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th February 2011, 01:47 AM   #1
2Curious

Default What Can I Do???

I have a social media website targeting married couples and individuals in relationships. I've tried Twitter and even hired an individual through Elance to assist with getting fans on a Facebook page. I did gain followers and fans BUT they didn't result in the increase in participation on the site I anticipated. They would comment on the respective sites but then not select the links to my site. Does anyone have any expertise in this area and have any suggestions on how I can really jumpstart the participation/traffic from this particular target group? Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.

2Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th November 2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

You need to post content on your FB page that will engage fans in a conversation. Post things that will garner attention, use captivating headlines, and pose questions that will create a response.

Old 8th November 2011, 05:45 AM   #3
Russell Allert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Curious View Post
I have a social media website targeting married couples and individuals in relationships. I've tried Twitter and even hired an individual through Elance to assist with getting fans on a Facebook page. I did gain followers and fans BUT they didn't result in the increase in participation on the site I anticipated. They would comment on the respective sites but then not select the links to my site. Does anyone have any expertise in this area and have any suggestions on how I can really jumpstart the participation/traffic from this particular target group? Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.
You need to consistently post great content, while at the same time really engaging people. Gaining traffic the way you did through Elance is a poor way to get traffic in my opinion as what happens is exactly what you have described - the numbers but without any substance.

You need to come up with a posting strategy. Figure out what you can write about, what questions you can ask, what images you can post, and what video would be beneficial to your audience (also, know who your audience is so that you can target them specifically). Once you have this figured out, start writing some blog posts that you can feed into Facebook & Twitter.

These posts need to solve your potential customers problems and issues, overcome any "pain-points" and really help them out.

Social media is a long-term strategy that will take 18-24 months to really show some amazing results. You will gain traction throughout this time but to really dominate your niche this is a reasonable timeframe.

On Twitter, be yourself. Use your real name (or close to it) and engage the followers you have one-by-one. Search for keywords so you can really connect with people with some of the problems you are trying to fix. Read my post on starting out with Twitter here.

Hope that helps you. Any further questions please let me know.

Russell Allert

Old 8th November 2011, 06:32 PM   #4
AvidTexting

The reason behind it is simple. Those fans and followers are usually not targeted people who are interested in your business or are simply accounts that the person you hired on elance owns himself. It's really quite simple to have several thousand twitter, youtube or fb accounts and have them all follow, befriend or subscribe to an account or page.

It's not that the guy on elance ripped you off or scammed you, that's just how the selling fans/subscribers/friends business goes on the internet. You either get random people who'll just add/follow anyone or fake accounts made just for subscribing.

Of course, this does help increase the reputation of your fan page.

AvidTexting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 12:40 PM   #5
daveb1
VIP Contributor

I know this is not an ideal method of building the popularity of your site out but if you truly just need more content and participation on your actual physical site you may want to consider starting a "micro worker" campaign. While of course you are paying these people to use your site so they are not "truly" interested in your product it does help to make the site look busy, lets you test systems and features, you gain content and you never know who might stumble upon your site that actual likes and tells some of there friends. Micro worker programs when run correctly are a very inexpensive way to get website up and going quickly with new users and content.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
donovanjames786
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Curious View Post
Try to post useful content which can impress your targeted audience. Such tactics are always useful, so try this.

Old 8th August 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Could you share with us some links so we can see what you're already doing? Then we might be able to offer some insight.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 07:04 AM   #8
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

1. Identify your target audience.
2. Identify the appropriate mediums to reach out to your target audience.
3. Introduce your website's benefits (limit to 3) on these mediums to your target audience.
4. Entice them to become members (eg. early bird benefits, referral system)

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
peachrose

Did you try using YouTube? I mean posting videos in youtube that is relevant to your niche is a good strategy that may help you increase your youtube views thus increases your traffic and etc.

peachrose is offline   Reply With Quote