Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Default Product Websites & Rankings

Hola

We have a website (Comm Spec.com) which displays various products from Motorola - Codan - Kenwood - Barrett - Entel etc

We sell two way radios for all applications

We are now wanting to launch a .co.uk version, however, our .com contains all the products we sell, whereas the .co.uk will only be products that are available to the UK market (.com is for the rest of the World)

My question is, how are Google going to react when a new website appears with a similar name, same products, same titles and decriptions?

I have read about the canonical tag, is this what my programmer/partner should use so that Google do not penalise us for duplicates?

I would hate to now mess up what I have achieved with this website

This is a first for me, I have never had a client who has done this before and it looks like we will be doing a few more in the near future and this issue will apply there also

Thanks and I hope I have made some sense

Nutty

Old 17th May 2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Reading about the canonical tag from Matt Cutt's blog, I am not sure this is what we need

Below is what he says
Last week Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft announced support for a new link element to clean up duplicate urls on sites.

The syntax is pretty simple:

An ugly url such as

http://www.example.com/page.html?sid=asdf314159265

can specify in the HEAD part of the document the following:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://example.com/page.html"/>

That tells search engines that the preferred location of this url (the “canonical” location, in search engine speak) is http://example.com/page.html instead of http://www.example.com/page.html?sid=asdf314159265 .

Hmmm..............

Old 17th May 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
lorenzlammens

Send a message via AIM to lorenzlammens Send a message via MSN to lorenzlammens Send a message via Yahoo to lorenzlammens Send a message via Skype™ to lorenzlammens
Default Localize content

I agree that the cannonical tag won't serve you very well.

Why not hire copywriters and rewrite the content? That way, you avoid the duplicate content issue AND you can localize your content (English has different spellings, uses different vocabulary at times).

lorenzlammens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Nutty
VIP Contributor

That is a great idea, however, a Motorola GP340 is a Motorola GP340 and our product description content discusses whether it is VHF, UHF, what frequency, how many channels and what features it has - not saying this cannot be done by changing words around but that in itself would not make much difference because we have a big database behind our .com which we would want to use, which means the URLs would be the same, our product content would come from this database.

Re-writing the content would be too time consuming and costly for the company, I am hoping there is a way to inform Google we are not duplicating but serving our products to the UK market on a .co.uk and the rest of the World on a .com

Prices are different but that is all, we wanted to change the colours of the website only for the .co.uk so that our customers can recognise us

The .co.uk will be a shopping cart website whereas the .com is not and never will be

I will keep searching for answers, thanks for taking the time to respond

Nutty

Old 17th May 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Simone, you are nutty :P

You are trying to find the answer you want to find. I don't think you are going to find it, so start dealing with the realities and come up with a gameplan.

For starters, with the canonical approach. Scratch that as it does not apply when you are going from one domain to a completely different as in the case with a .com versus .co.uk.

I agree with the comments of the best solution probably is to write unique content for each domain.

In your scenario where you explain you can't ... I wouldn't accept that answer by the way - get creative .... then I would exclude any domains with content contained within your cashcow site with a robots.txt.

I don't think you can "separate" things as you intend based on what I know about search engines.

Its a great topic, and I can understand why you want to get this right. Don't do anything, until you are sure - as you don't want to impact comm-spec.com.

How can you create unique content, and then if you can't should there be robots.txt used to exclude any content that is duplicate.

I'd also start researching some uk/usa sites and seeing what others do. What does amazon do?

Old 18th May 2010, 03:49 AM   #6
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Yeah I am Nutty and I want Google to provide a way for this! LOL

What a bitch that is to re-write 100s of products, so just changing words around is going to be enough for us to not be penalised for duplicate content?

I cannot make a Motorola GP340 do something else on the .co.uk than it already does on the .com, so yeah I can get creative but the features of the product are it

I think we need to sit down and really think about this, such as not having any UK products on the .com, then we are sorted and I do not have to re-write

I am going to search this further before doing anything

**** search engines! HA

Nutty :P

Old 18th May 2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Nutty
VIP Contributor

LOL, I clicked to see the message but it has gone - don´t know what that had to do with the thread!

Good to see it removed

Old 18th May 2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Ya, I removed it as it wasn't related to this thread. I don't think it was spam, but instead something posted here intended for another thread.

Old 19th May 2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Sahan Asad

Send a message via Skype™ to Sahan Asad

I just did a quick research on Amazon on their on page SEO – comparing the USA and UK.

Cleary you can see below both are different.

The layout style is the same but the internal links name has different variation or style.

This show you will get penalised if your .co.uk is same as .com

I’m afraid you may have to do the unthinkable!

<meta name="keywords" content="Amazon, Amazon.com, Books, Online Shopping, Book Store, Magazine, Subscription, Music, CDs, DVDs, Videos, Electronics, Video Games, Computers, Cell Phones, Toys, Games, Apparel, Accessories, Shoes, Jewelry, Watches, Office Products, Sports &amp; Outdoors, Sporting Goods, Baby Products, Health, Personal Care, Beauty, Home, Garden, Bed &amp; Bath, Furniture, Tools, Hardware, Vacuums, Outdoor Living, Automotive Parts, Pet Supplies, Broadband, DSL"/>

<meta name="keywords" content="digital camera, LCD TV, books, DVD, low prices, video games, pc games, software, electronics, home, garden, video, amazon"/>

<title>Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs &amp; more</title>

<title>Amazon.co.uk: Low Prices in Electronics, Books, Sports Equipment &amp; more</title>

<meta name="description" content="Online shopping from the earth's biggest selection of books, magazines, music, DVDs, videos, electronics, computers, software, apparel &amp; accessories, shoes, jewelry, tools &amp; hardware, housewares, furniture, sporting goods, beauty &amp; personal care, broadband &amp; dsl, gourmet food &amp; just about anything else."/>

<meta name="description" content="Low prices on digital cameras, MP3, sports equipment, books, music, DVDs, video games, home &amp; garden and much more. Free UK delivery on Amazon orders."/>

Sahan Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Hola Sahan

I too looked on Amazon and noticed they were different so yeah the unthinkable is going to have to happen!

I have started that ball rolling and decided to re-write all the products in the databse first for the .co.uk before we do anything else, this is going to take the longest time but it will be worth it in the end

What a pain! Google need to change that hehehe