Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th June 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
ChrisLeads

Default Blog Commenting Still Work For Traffic?

Is blog commenting still effective considering that a lot of strategies are keep on popping up after the updates?

ChrisLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th June 2012, 06:33 AM   #2
M.Rebecca

Blog commenting was always and is still an excellent SEO technique if done properly i.e. commenting intelligently (adding value) on niche related blogs....No matter how many new techniques spring up...

While commenting on a no-follow blog might get you streams of referral traffic, commenting on a do-follow blog brings you backlinking credit (And Google does give importance to such links :] ).

The technique works great with me, I use Keyword Country to find traffic-pulling, high authority, related blogs to comment on...I am all for it!

Old 7th June 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

Quote:
While commenting on a no-follow blog might get you streams of referral traffic, commenting on a do-follow blog brings you backlinking credit (And Google does give importance to such links :] ).
After a lot of research, I am convinced that just because a link is a "nofollow" link on a blog, it may or may not be given "link credit" from Google. I am increasingly seeing nofollow links actually "count" as a link.

I agree, commenting on blog posts (and doing it naturally rather than inserting anchor text into the link) using your real name can actually help--if there is traffic to the blog and if you can get your comment on the blog post fairly quickly.

Old 7th June 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
mackyanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLeads View Post
Is blog commenting still effective considering that a lot of strategies are keep on popping up after the updates?

Blog commenting is still effective, the thing about it is just you must consider some factors in blog commenting so that it will be much more effective. Of course the integrity of the site, Page rank, Page Authority etc.

mackyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 01:29 PM   #5
garrett123

i've been getting sales from some blog commenting i've been doing. Just research your keywords and see if there are any blog that might be appropriate to drop some comments on.
If its a good relevant blog that can bring sales, you might even consider paying to have it approved.

garrett123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 03:40 PM   #6
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

Quote:
paying to have it approved
Wouldn't that be a paid link, which does not comply with Google's guidelines?

Old 7th June 2012, 09:41 PM   #7
ChrisLeads

Thank you all for your suggestions, Is it really effective if I use my real name? Because I am using my keywords as a name.

Thanks

ChrisLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 10:54 AM   #8
StaceyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Rebecca View Post
Blog commenting was always and is still an excellent SEO technique if done properly i.e. commenting intelligently (adding value) on niche related blogs....No matter how many new techniques spring up...

The technique works great with me, I use Keyword Country to find traffic-pulling, high authority, related blogs to comment on...I am all for it!
Is there an easy way to tell if a blog is no follow or do follow?

StaceyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 12:12 PM   #9
ReganP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyG View Post
Is there an easy way to tell if a blog is no follow or do follow?
Sure just download a nofollow link extension on your browser. You can either search through the tools/extensions/plugins section of your browser or just Google it and then install. They usually turn all nofollow links pink.

Old 12th June 2012, 12:23 PM   #10
StaceyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReganP View Post
Sure just download a nofollow link extension on your browser. You can either search through the tools/extensions/plugins section of your browser or just Google it and then install. They usually turn all nofollow links pink.
Downloaded and done. Thanks for the info, ReganP! This will be helpful.

StaceyG is offline   Reply With Quote