Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th October 2005, 02:41 PM   #1
esearing
VIP Contributor

Default Blogs using others content

I've noticed a trend amoung bloggers lately. It seems they find an article that matches their topic(s) and basically write a small paragraph about the article then link to the article, or worse, reproduce it.

Now in my mind that is lazy, and possibly violating copyright laws. I understand why they do it, especially if they utilize google ads or other content ads.

Or is this just smart blog business, and I'm too stupid to see it?

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th October 2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

i'm not sure if you are missing anything - but you might be if you are not considering the audience that is written for. I'm not sure many blogs consider their audience, so maybe it isn't relevant to many but a blog written for a specific audience can be a powerful medium of communication for marketing ... to the right audience. many/most may not qualify.

the common formula for a post is often ...

1) overview/intro paragraph
2) quote from source
3) opinion

... and the beat goes on ...

Old 1st November 2005, 12:23 PM   #3
synergy

Default It's not bad blogging IMO

Quote:
It seems they find an article that matches their topic(s) and basically write a small paragraph about the article then link to the article ...
I do this very thing in my blog. I update the blog once a day five times a week by linking to and commenting on (and occasionally quoting) articles I find on the web that contain exceptional information or may be of good use to my audience. Understand that I'm a new blogger, and I've noticed that in just a few months time I am relying on quoted content less and less in my posts.

Quote:
Now in my mind that is lazy
I disagree. I spend up to two hours each morning researching a topic that may be of interest to my audience (and to me). I seek out 3-4 articles that relate to the topic I choose and select one to quote and/or comment on. The other 2-3 are linked to in a recommended reading section at the bottom of the post.

Quote:
... and possibly violating copyright laws.
Good point but I honestly doubt that the people who's articles I am quoting (and linking to) mind because my visitors are clicking the links to read the full article. Isn't that the purpose of articles... to distribute and inform? The linkback is the key here.

If copyright and quoting the source was a hard issue, how would a typical college student be able to write a term paper without being able to quote authority sources they used to develop the paper?

Quote:
I understand why they do it, especially if they utilize google ads or other content ads.
I use neither but I do understand your point.

Quote:
... is this just smart blog business, and I'm too stupid to see it?
I don't think you are stupid for questioning motives but I do think it is smart blogging (if done ethically)... the purpose of a blog is to give your own POV on topics of the world around us. Not only am I educating my readers, I'm also educating myself.

Last edited by synergy; 1st November 2005 at 12:51 PM.
synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 05:40 PM   #4
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Quote:
or worse, reproduce it
While I haven't seen the full-blown article, I have seen large "snippets" taken out. (as in > 500 words per snippet). This does not lead the reader to the article, because the blogger has included pretty much the whole article.

I find that practice almost spam.

Quoting and linking to an article is perfectly okay by me. Just as long as you don't "quote" virtually the entire article.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 06:06 PM   #5
synergy

jm: I agree with that. Only a few lines should be quoted and at the absolute most a paragraph.

Old 2nd November 2005, 10:18 AM   #6
vicci3450

I too, do a lot of research to find information that is relevant to my blog -- that means spending many hours reading to determine if the articles are relevant and informative enough for my readers. I try to give my view and then present the article.

For me informative means, educating the reader, as well as, myself. If I achieve both, then I know I have succeeded in achieving my goal.

vicci3450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:01 PM   #7
esearing
VIP Contributor

Thanks all for replying. My concern was with blogs that never write thier own stuff or express themselves in any way. The rely totally on external sources, as a means to drive revenue. It's not illegal, not necessarily immoral, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I can only hope readers leave the original compiled source and find other sources of real info.

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 12:39 PM   #8
synergy

Quote:
It's not illegal, not necessarily immoral
but it is unethical