Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th September 2004, 06:23 PM   #1
Karen

Default Adding a blog to your business website

I have a small blog on livejournal that I use to review books. I would find it too restrictive for a business blog, though. I am very interested in the idea of having a blog connected to my business site.
1. I'd like to look at a site that already does that. Can someone point me to a business site that has a blog?
2. How would I attach (or whatever the right word is) a blog to my website? Can someone point out a free (if there is one) option for that?
Thanks in advance,
Karen

Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th September 2004, 12:31 AM   #2
wayne h

Hi Karen,

Here is some help with one part of question.

You were searching for some good free blogging platforms.

Here are two good ones to get you started.

I use Blogger. It's free and easy to use. A blog can be up and operational in onl minutes. While Blogger has some limitations, ease of use isn't one of them. It even contains a non-html option, for those who prefer to avoiding any coding at all. It lets you post either as a free standing blog, or to send posts to your own website.

Another good free on is WordPress. WordPress is very easy to use, without requiring workarounds. In fact, I have posted at a few group blogs, where many people posted.I ad never used the system before, yet I had zero problems starting right in and posting.

WordPress has one very powerful feature, missing from many free blogging tools. It has capacity for categories and sub-categories for posts, which aids your blog navigation for your visitors. You can even create password protected posts, in case you want a restricted member only area. I think I would try WordPress if I were setting up a beginning blog.

Those two should get you on your way to blogging happiness.

Happy blogging.

Wayne Hurlbert

wayne h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 05:30 PM   #3
StupidScript
Administrator

Good tip, Wayne!

I had set up MoveableType on one of my sites, and thought I'd give WordPress a try on another. Mighty fine! Easy install, and after a few tweaks, it's fully operational.

(There's a small code addition that needs to be made to one file, and a "Category" needs at least one post in order to be displayed.)

Nice reference. Thanks!

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Karen

Wayne,
I tried WordPress first, because of what you said about categories. However, my host doesn't support the Apache requirement.
So I went to Blogger. I find it not quite intuitive, but much less cluttered than livejournal. So, thanks for the recommendation!
Karen

Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2004, 06:30 AM   #5
wayne h

Hi Karen.

LiveJournal is better suited to the "personal life" type blog than to the needs of the business blogger.

I have no problems recommending Blogger, and I have used it through several remodellings and design changes of their system too.

It's great to see that you have added a blog component to your website. A business blog will enhance your visitor stats, as many people will return daily to read your posts.

You will get a boost in the search engines, as a direct result of the continually fresh keyword rich content. Since your posts will play off the themes of your site, you will get extra punch in the search rankings. The added keywords will go far in getting your site ranked for minor, but still helpful and profitable searches.

The added links, from other bloggers, will also help in the search engines. Since most incoming blog links arrive, from bloggers with similar themes to yours, they will help you rank well through relevance.

Happy blogging.

Wayne Hurlbert

Old 16th September 2004, 06:34 AM   #6
wayne h

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidScript
Good tip, Wayne!

I had set up MoveableType on one of my sites, and thought I'd give WordPress a try on another. Mighty fine! Easy install, and after a few tweaks, it's fully operational.

(There's a small code addition that needs to be made to one file, and a "Category" needs at least one post in order to be displayed.)

Nice reference. Thanks!
Yes, there are some minor adjustments, but generally, WordPress is a very good and easy to use blogging system.

The Apache requirement does preclude its use for some people.

No system is perfect. I always recommend about three options to most people. That way you can find the blogging platform that is right for you and for your needs.

There is no "ideal" blogging tool that works for everyone all of the time.

I'm always happy to see that someone has got a blog, however!

Wayne Hurlbert

Old 16th September 2004, 09:31 PM   #7
Lynn Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
1. I'd like to look at a site that already does that. Can someone point me to a business site that has a blog?
Hi Karen,

I just started blogging a couple of weeks ago and have tied it into my online business site. You can see that here: http://clicknewz.blogspot.com . As you can tell by the number of comments, it's been a fun spot with a 'looser' atmosphere than site, newsletter or forum - an opportunity for us to network a bit as 'real people'

Best of success to you!

Lynn Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 12:09 AM   #8
StupidScript
Administrator

Wayne, the WordPress installation was pretty much the most trouble-free I've experienced.

Due to the nature of web software and its individuality, it's a little uncommon to find a complex program like this that integrates so easily with existing systems. I almost forgot that web applications are in their Cro-Magnon stage (compared to desktop applications)!

The subdirectory-style format is very useful, too. I've set up several personal blogs within the "Personal" category and password-protected them, while maintaining several public blogs in several other categories. Nice.

It's especially valuable to note that WordPress installs with an RSS feed up and running. This is one of the primary reasons a blog would be useful to a business site, as it attracts search engine spiders which give the blog content extra weight. Just register the blog URL or wait for a spider to come along, and you'll most likely see a jump in PageRank and better "natural" positioning, among other benefits.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 07:29 PM   #9
susannad

Wordpress says it uses PHP and MySql .. does this mean I would have to install it ?

susannad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 08:02 PM   #10
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannad
Wordpress says it uses PHP and MySql .. does this mean I would have to install it ?
It is very likely that your hosting company already has PHP and MySql installed on their servers. Just contact tech support or check the host company's web site.

Oh, and if your hosting company provides cpanel (a web hosting control panel), you can check there as well.