Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th July 2005, 05:27 PM   #1
yellowwing
VIP Contributor

Default What BLOG application is recommended?

I noticed that the SBIF blog articles are categorized using Movable Type. That interests me very much. It would seem more readable that a linear journal.

Is there any other blog application that uses the same category themes? How technical is it to set up these apps?

yellowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th July 2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I like Movable Type also. Here is setup instructions for a windows server to give you a feel for what is involved.

http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/docs/windows

Old 30th July 2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
How technical is it to set up these apps?
Set up for Movable Type is not too bad.

It is an excellent program that is really very flexible once you get used to it. It's easy to use as a content management system or a standard blog.

For me, one of the strongest selling points is the large user/developer base and the huge number of posts in their forums. 9 times out of 10 I can do a search at their forum and come up with an answer to any questions I have.

Old 31st July 2005, 08:25 AM   #4
gilmorejay
VIP Contributor

You may also want to check out Wordpress. It is easy to set up and has a great management interface. In addition, there are many themes that you can use if you are not into HTML editing.

Regards,

Jay
Developer/Consultant

Old 31st July 2005, 08:46 AM   #5
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

I use Serendipity on my own web host for a domain level URL. However, it is a little more tricky to set up than many of the large services.

Michele

Old 31st July 2005, 10:00 AM   #6
Anita

Send a message via AIM to Anita Send a message via Yahoo to Anita Send a message via Skype™ to Anita
Wink Movable Type Lets You Post in Advance

I use several different blogging platforms (Blogger, Movable Type, WordPress and TypePad). Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
  • One thing I especially like about Movable Type is that it allows you to do future posts (if set up properly on the server). On one of my blogs I create posts that automatically get posted a little after 6:00 AM each morning during the week. That single act of posting early in the morning increased my traffic by 10%, because you can catch the European readers and the American readers -- both -- with fresh content, and you can even catch the evening surfers on the same day in places like Australia.
  • WordPress in my opinion offers a nice blend of user friendliness and search engine friendliness. The latest version (1.5.1...) has a lot more features that make it easier to maintain the blog. I wish it had a better "preview this post" feature so that I could see what a post looks like before posting it.
  • Blogger at one time was good, and it is cheap (free) and easy for someone non-technical to get started. But Blogger hasn't kept up with the improvements of the other platforms. And with its lack of categories, search, trackbacks, etc., it is ill-suited to business blogging, the kind of blogging that I do, without a lot of expensive add-ons and manual tasks.
  • TypePad is what I recommend to business executives who want to get into blogging with the least amount of hassle. It is a hosted solution. TypePad is not as flexible as some of the other platforms and tends to follow much more of a set look and feel, and set functionality. However, I have had clients' Web designers add in some additional navigation and tailor the look to fit their corporate website (by downloading one of the standard templates and adjusting it to fit the corporate Web design elements). With a little extra work a TypePad blog can be integrated into an overall corporate Web presence.

Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 12:04 AM   #7
JayVilla

Send a message via Yahoo to JayVilla

What do I have to do to get started with a blog? Where do I install it? Do I need to own a server?

JayVilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 02:19 PM   #8
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVilla
What do I have to do to get started with a blog? Where do I install it? Do I need to own a server?
You only need access to a server (and sometimes, not even that). For example, at my full-time job, I have implemented Movable Type on a UNIX server on the other side of the country. My company leases space on that server for e-mail and web hosting. I am using MT as a content management system for a "hosted intranet", if you follow my meaning. I am in the process of moving a bunch of our Human Resources self-serve content to it. We're a very small biotechnology company (14 employees), so this suits us well.

If you already have a web site, check with your web hosting company to see what operating system their server is on, and what (if any) flavor of SQL (a database server program) they are using. You'll need to know this so you can obtain the right version of Movable Type. Get a copy of MT from sixapart.com, and install it to the server (or pay a little extra for MT to install it for you).

If you don't already have a web site, and if your web site is just going to be the blog itself, sixapart will provide the hosting for you for a monthly fee, with their TypePad product. It's very nice, and you don't have to be very technically inclined to use it.

Good luck!

4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 09:05 AM   #9
Anita

Send a message via AIM to Anita Send a message via Yahoo to Anita Send a message via Skype™ to Anita
Wink

I might add this to the conversation: sometimes people new to blogging will start with a hosted application, just to try it out and see if they like blogging. Then when they get the hang of it, they install a blog on their domain and/or server.

A lot of newbies start with Blogger (www.blogger.com), using Blogger's own hosting, blogspot.com.

Or you could start with TypePad (www.typepad.com), also hosted.

My advice, however, is that if your blog starts to take off and you absolutely KNOW you are going to be serious about blogging regularly, then migrate rather quickly to your own domain and upgrade to one of the other solutions like Movable Type or WordPress.

I've learned the hard way that the longer you wait, the harder it becomes to move to your own domain and a better blogging package. Over time you accumulate inbound links, the site gets bigger, etc. And migrating then becomes a major big deal.

Hope this helps,

Anita

Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 09:49 PM   #10
HomeOfficeVoice

I'm one for WordPress - it's extremely user-friendly, has lots of free add-ons (plugins in WP speak) and is very customizable.

I first started with Blogger (although on my own webhost) but soon found out that it doesn't even come close to the others (WP and MT).

I made the move early on so there was no migration issues with regards to links/posts that developed.

And of course, WP is free and there is a very large community around for support.

Cheers,
Martin

HomeOfficeVoice is offline   Reply With Quote