Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th June 2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Zafar Ahmed

Default Blog Commenting

I have seen that many people use blog commenting. I just wonder if it really works. I dont think its a good idea to get some traffic to your site.

Zafar Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Yes, many people "use" blog commenting, and you're right, it's not a good idea.

Comment on a blog if you have something to say that will truly add to the conversation. Ask a question. Answer a question. Respond to something the blogger wrote. Respond to something another commenter wrote. Offer a new perspective. All those things are acceptable uses of blog comments.

If a blogger allows anyone who wants to, to come along and drop a spammy link to his or her own website with nothing more than a mindless "me too!" response... well, those blogs don't get a lot of subscribers. And if they don't have readers to start with, then how can they possibly serve as a source of traffic for somebody else's site?

The thing is, when you comment for the right reasons, and in the right way, in the long run it can serve as a good source of additional traffic. People see your thoughtful intelligent comments and want to find out more about the person or company behind them, and come to your site for information.

Using blog comments to troll for traffic? Not effective.

Making thoughtful intelligent comments because you have something worthwhile to say -- and considering any traffic you get as a nice bonus? That's the way to go, IMO.

--Torka

Old 11th June 2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

I agree - and I think the same can be said for any "tactic" used to increase page rank, key word content, etc. If it's done for the pure purpose of increasing traffic or rank, it probably will not work nearly as well as if it were done for a "purer" benefit.

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 04:09 PM   #4
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

Just to complicate the issue though, there's the issue of NOFOLLOW and DOFOLLOW etc. to give an inbound link that Google recognises. I admit that I feel if people take the time to make a worthwhile comment on my blog they deserve a little reward for it and I don't mind them benefitting from commenting.... the key there is tha the comment must be worthwhile, obviously!

Who decides it's worthwhile? I do - it's my blog after all!

S

Old 13th June 2008, 07:44 AM   #5
sdk1988
VIP Contributor

It really is how much you put into it, as in any of the social network sites. I have gained several readers through comments, but again, they are not just the I agree.. and great post.

Finding blogs that are within your niche is great, I have also found several of them that are just about things I like, and not related to my niche, commenting back and forth, interjecting experiences on those has proved to be valuable as well.

The traffic is not outstanding, but it does come in from comments from time to time, and it's really all about building your network. Like that old commercial that said..

and so on, and so on..and so on! Word of mouth.

sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 01:26 AM   #6
danzel27

For me it's a great help for all the bloggers to have some comment sometimes. Telling their opinions will help your works improve.

danzel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Ryan

I'm a little confused what you mean by "using" blog comments. By using do you just mean little short "me too" or "I agree" posts? In that case, yes, I think you're spot on. But leaving worthwhile comments on blogs can be beneficial, both for your site and for the blog you're leaving a comment on.

Quote:
I feel if people take the time to make a worthwhile comment on my blog they deserve a little reward for it and I don't mind them benefitting from commenting.... the key there is tha the comment must be worthwhile, obviously!
If you're using WordPress you might want to look for a plugin called Link Love. It removes the nofollow link from any comments from a user that's made more than 10 comments.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Kurt Henninger

Personally, I have seen good traffic come from blog commenting, particularly with my own blog. What helps a lot with driving traffic to your blog is having an unusual name or blog name.

As long as your comment is relevant and contributes to the blog, many people will click on your link out of curiosity anyway. From then on, its a matter of how well designed your blog is.

Kurt Henninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:57 AM   #9
akhanna18

Default re:blog commenting

blog commenting an prove to be a good idea and a way to increas the trrefic . provided the commenting should be relevent and appealing.

Last edited by akhanna18; 24th June 2008 at 07:06 AM.
akhanna18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 11:40 AM   #10
ultim8frizB

I think blog commenting is only good if you write a well written response. If you write a good comment, then it is likely that the blog owner will go back to your blog. Also, if you write a great comment, readers of the post may visit your blog. Who knows?

ultim8frizB is offline   Reply With Quote