Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th August 2007, 01:40 PM   #1
harrisguide

Default Small Retailers Moving To The Web

Here's a cool article to give some motivation to small retailers on the Web.

"Statistics show that small retailers account for more than 40% of online retail sales figures (at least during the big Holiday season)."

Take a look at: blog.dmnews.com/2005/12/19/forrester-says-small-retailers-getting-more-online-sales/

harrisguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th August 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
insight7

Default Informative

Hey thanks for the link that is good information to know. I am about to venture into retail sales

insight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 01:23 AM   #3
JC1227

Being in the E-Commerce world for long enough, I have more than enough to say. You have to be aware of the fact that although putting products online is kind of rosy business - server runs and cash register sings. However, the marketing of the site could exhaust you totally.

You either have to pay for google ppc, or spend even more money of SEO.

Be prepared to be in the red for at least 2 years before you could even break even.

Old 26th August 2007, 09:22 PM   #4
rcroome

Yep, runnng an Internet business is the same as running any other business, a 365 day a year job.

rcroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 01:12 PM   #5
hyJim

Send a message via MSN to hyJim

I think this is bigger than most people realise - a matter of survival. Can you imagine running a business without a phone and being competitive? That's where the net is headed.
Local busines will need it too - check the new google maps.

cheers

Jim

Last edited by hyJim; 27th August 2007 at 01:19 PM.
hyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 07:18 PM   #6
CreativelyBelle

It's taken me some time to build the internet marketing side of my online store up and now I'm getting on track with it all it's liberating. Like many retailers I'm looking at my online income as supplementing on local income with the view of it over taking it.

I now find myself feeling sorry for small business owners who can't see how they can add an online income channel to their business. I was working at a cafe last Friday afternoon and the cafe owner could only complain about quiet weeks (thankful for busy weekends as long as it didn't rain out his customers) and how hard it is to manage cashflow. It was easy enough to sympathise with him but I couldn't say to him he had to change his view of things so to include other sources of income - I didn't want to be rude and I don't think he was ready to hear it.

I really can't think of a product related online website income for a cafe (maybe a limit on my imagination) but I could see how he could have another business online that brought in money all year round to supplement their incomes - affiliate marketing could be a start.

For many small retailers I think an online income is vital for success and prosperity. The bricks and mortor shop might provide for daily life costs while the online income brings the extra income for wealth and lifestyle savings?

All the best with whatever you choose to do!

CreativelyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 03:45 PM   #7
Kodiak

Default New online

We just went online about two weeks ago although we have been in business for twenty years in an actual store. Can't believe we waited this long to do it and see how hard it is going to be to fully develop it.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 06:54 AM   #8
carlar9

That is encouraging for us small business online retailers. But it is very exhausting and time consuming to keep up with. I love it!

carlar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 09:34 AM   #9
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Two comments as a CPA who serves a variety of retailers... and as a ecommerce/ebook publisher who sells downloadable do-it-yourself incorporation kits...

1. I think the web obviously works for small retailers. You can make a good living even off just a niche-y site as long as you do it right. And an experienced retailer really has an advantage as compared to people who have no merchandising experience (people like me, i.e.)

2. The landscape is very fluid however... The PPC and organic SEO techniques that work today to drive reasonable traffic to your site may not work in two years.

Old 5th November 2007, 04:47 AM   #10
harrisguide

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great follow-ups. It's very interesting to see everyone's point-of-view relating to retail business online. Actually, I was quite surpised at the somewhat high (40%) percentage of small retail sales in the market. It's nice to know that the big corporations have not (and probably never will) completely take over the online retail sector.

I think the key to being successful (besides effective marketing) online is to be different and establish a niche market the bigger companies can't or don't service.

Briteguy - Yes, it does take lots of time and effort to market online and establish a clientele.

Kodiak - Congrats on finally establishing your online presence.

Seattle - Great point about marketing techniques. They are always changing and you should be on top of trends and keep your marketing campaigns up-to-date.

harrisguide is offline   Reply With Quote