Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th May 2010, 07:57 PM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Blogs VS Webs

How many of you think blogs are dominating websites lately? Can it be that blogs are much easier to setup and use?

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th May 2010, 08:37 AM   #2
joshua99
VIP Contributor

The advantage of blogs in my opinion lies in the fact that it is easier to update and maintain than a website

Old 6th May 2010, 12:04 PM   #3
SmallBizShift

I'd suggest that in a lot of instances the line between a blog and a website is blurring, as blogs become more substantial.

Either way, as Joshua mentioned - blog software makes it very easy, which is one big piece.

I think the other is that search engines have become increasingly aware of how much stale material there is on the web, and the fact that much of this is no longer worthwhile. This has caused them to show a preference for constantly updated sites - which often means blogs.

Old 6th May 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

You guys are absolutely right... updating is much easier and faster on blogs. PLUS - they are sooo easy to maintain. I just love blogs!

Blogs rule! Webs make you a fool!

Old 7th May 2010, 12:59 AM   #5
joshua99
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallBizShift View Post
I'd suggest that in a lot of instances the line between a blog and a website is blurring, as blogs become more substantial.

Either way, as Joshua mentioned - blog software makes it very easy, which is one big piece.

I think the other is that search engines have become increasingly aware of how much stale material there is on the web, and the fact that much of this is no longer worthwhile. This has caused them to show a preference for constantly updated sites - which often means blogs.
That's true. On one side we have many people that are using Wordpress to create their website and on the other side we have more and more blogs that are attached to the website.
I think it will not be long before blog = website

Old 7th May 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua99 View Post
I think it will not be long before blog = website
I second that!

Old 10th May 2010, 01:26 PM   #7
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

Blogs already function as websites across the web, many "web designers" out there are simply clever manipulators of blog software. It's convinient to use blogging software for updates, and they do rank higher in search engines due to their frequently updated content anyway, generally speaking.

Anyway my site is an example of a blog that looks like a normal website, albeit laid-out in blog format...I've had several looks to my site in the past both in HTML and PHP, but using wordpress, while I may still change the look of it again in the future, is definitely my favorite so far.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 07:38 PM   #8
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

true, true.... many blogs look very much like websites, it's hard to distinguish them also at times.

Old 17th May 2010, 08:24 PM   #9
cabdziner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarpet View Post
Blogs already function as websites across the web, many "web designers" out there are simply clever manipulators of blog software. It's convinient to use blogging software for updates, and they do rank higher in search engines due to their frequently updated content anyway, generally speaking.

Anyway my site is an example of a blog that looks like a normal website, albeit laid-out in blog format...I've had several looks to my site in the past both in HTML and PHP, but using wordpress, while I may still change the look of it again in the future, is definitely my favorite so far.
Well said. A blog IS a website.

The main advantage to blogs, especially self-hosted Wordpress, is that they are viral right out of the box.

Easy maintenance and set up are a plus but you must realize that if you update your traditional website with an article, it could take months to be recognized as quickly as the same article posted on a WP blog.

Set up correctly, your posts and pages are immediately "pinged" to distribution sites, updated through XML sitemaps to major SE's, and submitted to Social Networks when published. This can easily be accomplished with a few free plugins.

Your Titles, descriptions, H1 and H2 tags, permalinks, and content structure are already set in your admin panel (or they should be).

With a traditional website, you need to work all this out using a editor of some sort, usually.

99% of the time... a well set up WP blog is your best business tool.

cabdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 09:30 PM   #10
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabdziner View Post
Well said. A blog IS a website.

The main advantage to blogs, especially self-hosted Wordpress, is that they are viral right out of the box.

Easy maintenance and set up are a plus but you must realize that if you update your traditional website with an article, it could take months to be recognized as quickly as the same article posted on a WP blog.

Set up correctly, your posts and pages are immediately "pinged" to distribution sites, updated through XML sitemaps to major SE's, and submitted to Social Networks when published. This can easily be accomplished with a few free plugins.

Your Titles, descriptions, H1 and H2 tags, permalinks, and content structure are already set in your admin panel (or they should be).

With a traditional website, you need to work all this out using a editor of some sort, usually.

99% of the time... a well set up WP blog is your best business tool.
Interesting to read your post... you must know some of what your are writing about I bet.