Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Just for Fun > Chat
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th July 2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Do You Work With Family Members?

For years, I resisted hiring family members to work in my various businesses, because I'd heard the horror stories about working with your family.

Well last year, I finally gave in and hired my sister to do my books, and I couldn't be happier. She's a conscientious and hard worker and we get along beautifully.

What about you? Do you or have you ever worked with members of your family? How did it work out?

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th July 2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Denise

I've heard the horror stories too, but 6 months ago I decided to invite my mom to be my business partner on a new venture.

So far, it's gone very well. We both have different interests and strengths, so we each take on the work that we're good at, and leave the other to hers. We're very different, but we do think the same way about a lot of things, so making decisions together has been very easy for us.

Old 16th July 2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Denise wrote:

I've heard the horror stories too, but 6 months ago I decided to invite my mom to be my business partner on a new venture.

So far, it's gone very well. We both have different interests and strengths, so we each take on the work that we're good at, and leave the other to hers. We're very different, but we do think the same way about a lot of things, so making decisions together has been very easy for us.
Same here, Denise.

My sister and I have always been very close, even as children, so our business collaboration has been seamless.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 17th July 2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 16th July 2007, 08:54 PM   #4
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

No problem as long as we know how to deal with it. We should understand that work is work and we should stick with the company rules and all. No favoritism, no special treatment.

Outside the office or the company, we do things as we used to do with a family member.

Old 17th July 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
Outside the office or the company, we do things as we used to do with a family member.
Us too. And no work-related talk allowed when we get together for family things.

Old 17th July 2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Many years ago I worked with my Dad for about 3 to 4 years. I think there is the added dynamic of family to deal with, but in the end a lot of the 'horror stories' don't necessarily reflect all situations. If you think about it, there are just as many horror stories of non-family members working together. The added dynamic of family can cause a lot of difficulty if things do not go well, but I also think the opposite can apply. Since there is a close relationship, when things do go well - the benefits can be even greater versus traditional roles. I learned more about business during those years than I ever did during college or with other jobs - there was a level of trust and a relationship in place from day one that couldn't compare to other 'jobs'. To me in comes down to the individuals, and that applies whether family or not.

Old 19th July 2007, 08:03 AM   #7
market queen

Default No horror hear

My sister and I live in different states and started in business together. We wanted to really start a business to include our nephew. He's 22, and his mother (our sister) had unexpectedly passed away. I think the business has brought the three of us much closer together. We share ideas, successes and work. The business is doing fantastic! We couldn't be happier. My nephew who was drifting along in life without a purpose now is excited about the growth of the business, and we couldn't have asked for better results.

Working with family is the best! I would strongly encourage it.

market queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 03:14 PM   #8
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

My wife is also my business partner and I couldn't be happier with the relationship. We also had my father working for us for a couple of years. That worked very well.

My neighbor however went through a nightmare with his family business... was essentially ousted and had to start over.

I guess it really depends on what state your family is in.

Old 19th July 2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Dale King
VIP Contributor

These are great, everyone!

Keep 'em coming!

Dale King