Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2009, 10:35 PM   #1
ChristineG

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristineG

Default Twitter Power! A Fan Gets To Work With A Fave Author

Wanted to share a cool story about Twitter and the connections it can help facilitate. I wrote a blog post about it here, but long story short:

I connected with one of my favorite authors on Twitter a few months back and exchanged some messages with her about some everyday, random things here and there...she also would often re-tweet the info and links I provided related to growing a business with social media. She ended up contacting me to speak by phone about an idea she had for working together. We chatted, and I am now going to be presenting a teleclass for her and her (large and devoted!) community this month. I thought that was pretty cool.

As I mentioned in my post, itís a great example of how sites like Twitter can 1) connect you with with great people you admire and can learn from 2) expose you to new communities that you may be able to help 3) build relationships that lead to opportunities and partnerships in your business or career and 4) cause you to do a happy dance because you get to work with a kick-butt author and all-around cool person.

Thought it would be good to share because so often I am asked how sites like Twitter could ever benefit someone's business...and I think examples like this can really help people understand what cultivating relationships through social media can do.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th August 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Congratulations Christine!

That's a perfect example of the "return on investment" one can achieve with social media. It's not a quick results type of endeavor but rather a slow build ... like so many other things in business of course

I too have gotten to know some very interesting and inspiring people on twitter, relationships and connections I might otherwise not have been able to cultivate as easily or naturally.

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 01:17 AM   #3
MRchamps

It is very clear that more and more businesses are keeping up with their customers using social networks.I happened to know about a pizza business that engages its local community with Twitter in a profitable way.It is effectively using Twitter for communications, customer service and most importantly, new sales.There are many applications that use twitter as backbone for their business.

Old 15th August 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
ChristineG

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristineG

Thanks Karri, I agree!

I enjoy your posts on Search Engine Guide--I can see you and I have a very similar way of seeing social media and the real benefits it can provide!

Old 17th August 2009, 06:20 PM   #5
montgomj

Thanks for sharing your story Christine. Congratulations too! I think it's good for people to write about these types of experiences, to let people know more about opportunities on the web.

I was approached by a company in my niche that wanted me to do a product review for them, in exchange for offering something free to my followers. That type of "deal"/"exchange" wouldn't make sense out of Twitter, but it can have a positive impact on my future business.

montgomj is offline   Reply With Quote