Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th November 2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Transweb

Default Content Vs. Search Specific Advertising

Google Adwords allows you to place ads on AdSense modules that people place in the content of their website, and also on the ad sections of google searches.

To date, I have only targeted my PPC advertising towards the search engines. Has anyone ever had success with content-placed PPC?

I would think that in order to be listed on an AdSense module, it would have to be placed on a competitor's website. Plus I havn't seen a lot of business websites with Adsense modules in their content to begin with. Can anyone tell me the usefulness of targeting ads in other website's content?

Transweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th November 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

There are zillions of sites out there running AdSense. It's possible few of them are in your niche, or are the types of sites you regularly visit, which may be why you don't run into them that often. But trust me, there are tons and tons and tons of sites out there running AdSense, covering just about every niche and topic you could ever imagine.

Seriously. Nearly every topic.

I know some people who have had great success with the content network, and others who after trying it won't come near it again with a 10-foot pole. It depends on what you're promoting and which sites carry AdSense. I am also told a good tactic is to bid separately on the search network and the content network; it's generally considered a good idea to bid less on content network ads in order to maintain profitability in that channel.

I believe you can select specific AdSense-carrying sites to target your ads to, if you don't want to simply allow any contextually-related page to display your ad. I don't know if you on the advertiser side can block sites from carrying your ads (I would hope you could), but I know for sure on the publisher side you can block ads from your competitors from displaying on your site. (I mean, if your ad shows up on a competitor's site, and one of your competitor's potential customers clicks through to your site instead, that doesn't seem to me like such a bad thing for you -- not so good for them, though -- so the motivation might be more for them as a publisher to block the ads than for you as an advertiser. )

Generally speaking, though, the sites that carry AdSense aren't going to be selling sites, so they won't be your direct competitors. Selling sites don't want to take a chance on a customer seeing something interesting in the AdSense ad and clicking away (thereby making the site a few cents in revenue) when they could stick around and buy something (almost certainly making them more than just a few pennies).

Generally, AdSense carrying sites are going to be informational sites like blogs and forums and such. The usefulness is that potential customers of yours will go to these sites seeking information, and they'll see your ad, offering some product or service that's targeted to the topic of the page of information they've just read.

Some percentage of them will think, "hey, that looks like something I could use!" and they'll click through to your site. Some percentage of those people will, with any luck, purchase something.

So you end up making more sales. And if you've bid correctly on the content network, you'll make enough profit on the sale to more than cover the cost of the clicks.

--Torka

Old 22nd November 2008, 10:21 AM   #3
jen.bas

Thumbs up

I agree with the above post and Based on the seo guides that i've read, it's pretty much good to create context ads on targeted sites related to your niche.

jen.bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 11:04 PM   #4
johnnylj

ive seen success with the content network, cheaper clicks, lower quality, but the overall conversion rate may be better than search.

johnnylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Bridges Limo

Default Content search is impulse clicks.

Like Torka said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Some percentage of them will think, "hey, that looks like something I could use!" and they'll click through to your site. Some percentage of those people will, with any luck, purchase something.
Content search is a lot of what I call impulse clicks. Most Adwords advertisers I know have worse luck with content search. Although most of them limo companies which are high dollar purchases.

You should definitely always always adjust your content bids lower than your search bids and see how that works for you.

I believe cheap inexpensive products affordable to the masses (senors, adults, teens, and kids) probably do well on content search.

Bridges Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Yaeger4

Send a message via MSN to Yaeger4

I 100% agree with Limo, content has a lower conversion rate, and what is better than a Google Search where a customer is looking for you? Nothing.... if the CPC is affordable. It not, then you have to get creative with content. I have one client that hates content and another that loves it, it's up to the business owners overall goals.

Yaeger4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 12:09 PM   #7
openeye

Send a message via Skype™ to openeye

Hi,

Content advertising can work very well as for many industries Google in particular has very good content network partners. Content traffic is usually alot cheaper than search traffic too so although conversion rates may be lower via content cost per conversion can be better.

openeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 02:31 AM   #8
jenno

Here's a simple way to tell the two apart.

The search network is like a person who goes into Modell's knowing they need a baseball glove. They want it, they know where to get it... So if a person is searching for something, they know where to go (Google) and what keywords to use, generally.

The content network is a lot like someone who's come to browse the mall but was tempted by the smell of a nearby Mrs. Field's cookies. So what does he do? Plops down $6.27 on some yummy baked treats and a drink. Was this a planned purchase? No. But they got him anyway! So if you advertise in the content network, you must get their attention in some way. Lure them in.

You MUST separate campaigns for content and search. Why? Because each camp has very, very different rules. For example, did you know that the search network will heavily penalize you for many things such as: not using the keyword in your ad, not having keywords in your domain, having long copy / a confusing landing page, etc... If you do this, expect your CPC to rise drastically and your quality score to lower.

But in content network ads, you pretty much have free rein to do whatever you want. None of your keywords have to be in the ad. You can be pretty outrageous and get people's attention by calling them out with, "Hey, Lard Butt" or "Sup, Ashtray-Breath?".

Test it out but from what I hear, the content network, worked right, is worth 3x as much as search. Lower CPC, easier sells (the viewer won't be reviewing your competition like they would be in search), less stringent ad rules. Try both and let me know how it works out for you.

jenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Jynell

I have found content ads to be the best avenue. There are too many sites out there with too much noise as to the advertising side. Although the content side has a lower conversion rate, it seems to weed out a lot of dead space.

Jynell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 01:39 AM   #10
itzpaul

Send a message via AIM to itzpaul

There are tons of traffic and money to be made through the content network. If you aren't using it you should.

It's much cheaper and converts better I heard. There more likely to buy at that time because they are reading something related to what you are selling.

itzpaul is offline   Reply With Quote