Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th February 2016, 04:41 AM   #1
ProfilExpress

Default Black Hat Questions

Hey!

So, a friend of mine had signed a service deal with an "SEO firm" for a year, now as he was about to renew the deal he came to me and i checked out what they had done for his business. It turns out all they had done was spam links to his site about 4000 times on a low-level referal network, which to me seems pretty black hat?
My question is, since sometimes our site gets a ton of links from chinese sites, whats the best practice here? His site did actually improve its rankings quite well during the time he used them, but even the company said it could change in a day or 2.

ProfilExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th February 2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

The best practice is to build links naturally, I'm not clear what your question is.

Old 29th February 2016, 10:43 AM   #3
ProfilExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The best practice is to build links naturally, I'm not clear what your question is.
Yeah i was more interested in what to do about these shady links, like for example in Google Analytics i can see we get 13 percent of our total trafic from chinese users, there really shouldnt be any interest in china for our stuff haha. When i check the referals its allways some shady long URLS. How to deal with that in a good manner?

Edit: edited chinese sites to users, the sites themselves are any number of domains.

Last edited by ProfilExpress; 29th February 2016 at 10:50 AM.
ProfilExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Gotcha, hmm. Eventually you have to make a decision how you are going to proceed with the "paid" campaign. Regarding the traffic, that is not relevant since they are not qualified. It sounds like it helps with rankings based on your comments. So how do you proceed? Personally, I'd work on building things naturally over time to replace the paid services provided. When you are satisfied that you are far enough along, pull the plug. That's the tough part about links you are paying for ... what happens when you stop paying ....

Old 1st March 2016, 08:23 AM   #5
HCFGrizzly

Send a message via Skype™ to HCFGrizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfilExpress View Post
Hey!

So, a friend of mine had signed a service deal with an "SEO firm" for a year, now as he was about to renew the deal he came to me and i checked out what they had done for his business. It turns out all they had done was spam links to his site about 4000 times on a low-level referal network, which to me seems pretty black hat?
My question is, since sometimes our site gets a ton of links from chinese sites, whats the best practice here? His site did actually improve its rankings quite well during the time he used them, but even the company said it could change in a day or 2.
The problem with these firms is that they are using methods that were working 5 years ago, but will not work in 2016.
You need links from websites related to your niche if you want targeted traffic. Targeted traffic is the one who brings you money. What is the point of having a link to your website from a grocery website if your page sells cars?
Don`t give money to people who are spamming links because you will not see any benefit and after a while you might get your site penalized by Google.

Old 3rd March 2016, 10:38 AM   #6
patco

I would say stay away from Black Hat!

Old 4th March 2016, 02:41 AM   #7
chrisjohn93
VIP Contributor

Try to find all the bad links coming from low quality website either it is from any country or language. Try to find them and remove your back links or disallow to domain.

In 2016 you have to focus on quality content and natural link building...

chrisjohn93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 12:00 AM   #8
williamjohn01

Build backlink in organic way like following white hat seo.

williamjohn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 06:13 PM   #9
NoteBuyer

What is the difference between hats? If you try to influence SERPs by building a link it is blackhat.

So, my Facebook profile has a link. Is this grey?

NoteBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 04:37 AM   #10
jackluter
VIP Contributor

The back links you are generated to the website should be from your same business related which safe protect your website for a long time period from updates.

jackluter is offline   Reply With Quote