Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th February 2010, 04:35 AM   #1
georgechapman

Default How To Deal With A Semi-racist Boss

Hey guys, an asian friend of mind has this boss who frequently makes backhanded racist comments against him. Although my friend shrugs them off as "jokes," I personally think that some of them are a little below the belt. Comments like: "I should hide the dogs from you." or "Mr. Ching Chong"

Should I tell my friend to quit his job or something? Any opinions?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:35 PM   #2
TattooDan

ultimately its up to your friend to decide what he can or cannot tolerate for the sake of a paycheck. if he decides he cannot, he needs to make the issue known to his boss. the boss can either cut out the jokes or cut out your friend. either way it leaves your buddy in a better position than just quitting, at least this way he'll have options, legal or otherwise

TattooDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Lex87

Ummmm "Mr. Ching Chong" that's not backhanded, that's pretty blatant. I would tell him to talk to his boss. If he does it in a way that's more to the effect of giving him advice to save the boss future legal troubles. Other ethnic employees might not take it so well. Put that way I'm sure the guy will get the point.

Lex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 09:44 PM   #4
icondosmanila

Your friend was hiding what his real feeling was. You should tell him to quit as soon as possible. If all of what his saying are below the belt, or considerably like that. He'll probably grew frustrated and stressed if he continues working there. Didn't he asked or argued with his boss about that? He should frankly tell his boss about that. If his boss doesn't know if about his racist comments, but if he really meant that, your friend should make his decision now.

icondosmanila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Busycashflow

Cool It is not yet personal

People can make comments that may not be received as being personal. Tell your friend to speak up if he believes the comment is personal and harassing. Only a person knows what is considered personal and harassing to them based on their experience. Minorities and discriminated persons know when it is necessary. There is ignorance everywhere. He seems pretty comfortable in his skin. It's not what you are called, but what you answer to. If his boss is speaking, he may not be saying anything which warrants a response no matter how bad it sounds to the majority.

Busycashflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 02:46 PM   #6
KMDAS

The question to be looked at is if the boss is doing this to be rude or is just ignorant. If he is trying to be rude then your friend might want to quit to avoid the hassle. If he is just ignorant to its offensiveness then I would just leave it alone. Aside from this it is a matter for HR and honestly the boss could be fired over it or your friend could sue. The major question is if your friend likes his job or doesn't.