Visual Or Audio
There are 2 ways to get a message across using a print ad. Visual or audio. Sight comprises 80% of the data which reaches a brain. The other senses send merely 20% combined.
Most advertisers think that since we are advertising in print, the method an ad is reaching the TA is visual. Not so. The use of words in print is sending an audio message to our decision making part of brain. Thats because we tend to READ the message in our mind before its sent for processing.
Use of typography makes a headline visual as well as audio. Because the words are treated as images while the reading bit converts them to audio.
Having said that, utilizing just one aspect (visual or audio) will keep a few prospects from registering your print ad. Thats because though sight contributes 80% to the data, it need not be the predominant way data is processed. This factor of priorotising important data (visual/audio) varies from person to person.
The exclusion of other senses (tactile, olefactory, taste) is intentional. For now the only taste or smell option available to an advertiser are those of newsprint. But if there is one media which might hope to change that, its definitely print.
Until then, all the best with the 2 options available.