Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do Directories really improve rank?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2008, 12:57 AM   #1
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

Default Do Directories Really Improve Rank?

Do Directories really improve rank? or are they considered link farms and bad neighborhoods by google?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st July 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
roof cleaning

I thin if they are relevant, have high enough page rank, and are OLD, they help.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebizseo.com View Post
Do Directories really improve rank? or are they considered link farms and bad neighborhoods by google?
It depends on a variety of factors. Not the least of which is the quality of the directory itself, the age of the website, the quality of the website, and the quality and quantity of inbound links.

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

When you consider a directory like odp, i'd even say you could take that a step farther dale and say the age of the link and the continuity of the domain ownership and content that it is associated with. 60 days after submitting to a bunch of new directories alone, isn't going to carry much weight by anyone including the engines. imo.

Old 2nd July 2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Absolutely.

Dale King

Old 3rd July 2008, 03:37 AM   #6
puti1

Default The answer could be a yes or a no...here are my thoughts

1) If you are thinking of getting traffics from the Directories itself, chances are very very low...a lot of them are slowly dying and not many pp use them nowadays.
2) If you are planning to get a link from directories for the purpose of passin pageranks and getting a 'vote' for your site. Then you need to check whether the page that you put your link is indexed by SE and if there are any PR on the directory page itself.

Saying that, i do think that if the efforts is low and does not take a lot of your time to list them. Why not go ahead ? but using them as a primary strategy is bad move....hope this helps!

puti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:28 AM   #7
chesa7

Default Do directories really improve rank?

If the directories do not meet all the criteria you've noted, is there a chance that there can be a negative effect?

Laura

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

re: negative effect

Hi Laura, typically I wouldn't be considered with a 'negative' impact from the search engines. As a rule of thumb, if someone else can do something else to your site (i.e. include your site in directory xyz) then the search engines won't apply a negative impact but instead just ignore it. The theory being that anyone could sabotage anyone else's site if that was not the case.

That said, a negative effect of submitting your site to directories that don't help is the waste of time. Thus, it is best to try and focus on those that you do think will help the most. I also wouldn't just go submit willy-nilly as I tend to think that sends a "signal" to the search engines that is not positive.

Old 4th July 2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Dale King
VIP Contributor

I think a big part of the problem is unscrupulous marketers offering to submit people's websites to thousands of directories for X amount of dollars. Newbies see these ads and think they've hit the proverbial link jackpot. They don't realize that there are really only a handful of directories out there (give or take a few) that are respected enough by the search engines to significantly impact your website's ranking. And that includes Yahoo and DMOZ, plus a few specialty directories. And even those directories won't help your ranking much if the rest of your house isn't in order.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 4th July 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 4th July 2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I don't think you can make blanket statements about directories and have the comment carry for the entire community. Each directory is marketed and constructed differently making it an unique property and unique in it's contribution to your website.

Inbound links and the effect they have on your webPAGE/site is an algorithmic function, search engines don't care if they eminate from a directory, a blog or an ecommerce webPAGE. Their "weight" or their influence is directly related to the PAGE they sit on (which includes what sits on it) and the anchor text you use.

If the directory PAGE the link sits on is indexed and free of exclusions it's going to pass along some link popularity. The more outbound links on a page, the less link popularity each link is able to pass. But each does pass some.

The "age of domain" criteria is not an absolute, we think older pages pass along more link popularity through their outbound links, it makes sense that they do but we're not 100% sure. No search engine has presented this in writing as an absolute.

Patent applications are not absolutes. What we think we see in search engine results and backlinks are not absolutes. It's what the engines want us to see.

And while a domain may be "old", the page your link sits on might be new... in that case the page will not automatically be considered old and enjoy the same relevance and influence. Search bots take note of what they find and when, it's all considered. Which is not to say a new page sitting on an older site wouldn't accumulate trust more quickly but it's not an automatic grandfather clause.

Having said all that, I'll also say this: I am, and always have been a supporter of the editor run directories. I feel their presence on the Web is a bonus given the way they determine inclusion to their properties.

And IMO, this is where a lot of the "trust" issues come into play when talking about what direoctories the search engines trust. Here's a direct quote from Google Engineer Matt Cutts on this issue:

Quote:
If there is a fee, what’s the purpose of the fee? For a high-quality directory, the fee is primarily for the time/effort for someone to do a genuine evaluation of a url or site.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

My short answer to the original questions:

Quote:
Do Directories really improve rank?
Yes, they do becuase a link from an indexed page will pass along some link pop and all link pop helps.

Quote:
or are they considered link farms and bad neighborhoods by google?
No they aren't if they're editor run and avoid things like sitewides links or other linking tactics where the sole purpose of the link is to manipulate search engine ranking. Perception is 9/10th's of the law in link building these days.

Last edited by Debra; 4th July 2008 at 11:11 AM.
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote