Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Hardware
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th February 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
proprint1

Default Mac Or PC?

Being in printing business, you hear from MAC users the benefits of having MAC as your design computer, but we have been PC users for many years. Anyone had the experience of switching from one platform to the other who is willing to share their experiences & give some advice?

proprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th February 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
StupidScript
Administrator

Yes.

Both platforms are computers which do things that computers do.

Both have many years of development behind them, and operate with very few problems.

Both are subject to all of the problems computers have, such as virus, bad programming, expensive software, snotty tech support and iffy hardware.

Neither is "better" than the other.
Neither is "more intuitive" than the other.

Either can do exactly the same tasks requiring the exact same level of expertise to accomplish them.

Some tasks are more swiftly completed by a Mac, such as doing many of the things required by the multimedia and publishing industries. Some tasks are more swiftly completed by a Windows system, such as doing many of the things required by the scientific and networking industries.

Some things you can ONLY do on a Mac ... like writing applications for the iPhone and ... well ... that's the only thing, so far.

Personally, I use Linux systems for all of my Internet applications (websites, calendaring, email servers, etc.). I also use Linux systems for all of my professional duties (developing and managing said Internet applications and much more.) I use Windows at home for running some of the weird applications that do not have a Linux counterpart (like certain games). I use Macintosh at home for developing iPhone applications and formatting thumb drives so they run Mac applications when inserted into a Mac and PC applications when inserted into a PC. (I can do that with my Linux systems, too, but formatting Mac partitions FROM a Mac is a teensy bit easier than FROM Linux.)

Are you sensing the bottom line, here?

Use what you are comfortable with, and what does the job for YOU. Nobody else has to go through the aggravation you will go through when you try to "love" a Mac or PC that is simply the wrong tool for the job at hand, just because someone you know got all up in your grill about which computer operating system was the "best". They don't do your work for you, so they don't get to choose your tools.

All by yourself, with no assistance from anyone, go to a big computer store with both Macs and PCs and try out both with tasks that you would do frequently. Surf the web. Find out where the applications are run from. (See if they will let you test-install a program!) Try to do some art. Try to send some mail. Try to do something your friends told you about.

WITHOUT ANYONE HELPING YOU. It's too easy if someone is standing beside you telling you what to push and where to type. If you can't figure it out by yourself in a store, then you'll be up a creek without a paddle when you try it all by yourself at home after spending who-knows-how-much money on a system you may not even LIKE, in the end.

My 2 cents.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

I wouldn't recommend connecting a windows computer to the internet, however.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 01:11 PM   #4
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidScript View Post
Use what you are comfortable with, and what does the job for YOU.
And there it is!

David Jackson

Old 19th February 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
proprint1

Default Thanks

This information is very helpful.

thanks to all

proprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 06:44 AM   #6
bizcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
I wouldn't recommend connecting a windows computer to the internet, however.
Why not? Although Microsoft has many holes in their operating system, thats why great security software exist. Anyway, more and more designers and print company are switching to Mac.

bizcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 03:56 AM   #7
Elizabeth01

Quote:
Both platforms are computers which do things that computers do.
I Agree with you. I am using LG Flatron, never thought of changing my PC.One should always go with the one in which they fill comfort and does good and job for you.

Elizabeth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 12:20 AM   #8
geeksonrepair

PC is better than mac
1) It provide best security
2) Window has better games or features as compare to mac.
3) PC support many software and you can download free many software.
4) PC is less expensive as compare to mac.

geeksonrepair is offline   Reply With Quote