Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Insurance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th April 2007, 08:18 AM   #1
stagecoach

Default Affordable and Alternative Health Insurance

I thought I may be introduced to some options here as to what some of you are doing for affordable/ alternative health insurance.

stagecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th April 2007, 02:53 PM   #2
psalese

Affordable health care for a small LLC or Sole Proprietor? Try Denmark because I can't find anything here in the US. My husband & I run ahoycaptain.com and we're paying $1200/month for healthcare - up 30% from last year.

psalese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I just buy insurance for myself/sole prop, last couple years was from 130 to 150/month - but recently moved to new state (colo) and need to figure out again.

You should check first, but I believe if you are purchasing for yourself/business it can be considered a business expense on your tax filings in US - so might as well benefit there if you can if paying yourself (just as an employer pays for health insurance).

Old 17th April 2007, 11:13 AM   #4
amichalski

It might depend a lot on where you live. Here in Virginia, I had a rotten time finding any decent coverage (nothing other than catastrophic covered) without paying at least ten times what I can afford. I finally ended up having my husband add me to his employer's plan instead.

amichalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 10:13 PM   #5
ravenofmany

Smile Affordable health insurance solutions

As a health and life insurance agent/agency in the state of Montana, we have been able to lower client's cost of health insurance by offering options of having a higher annual major medical deductible (i.e. for anything catastrophic), combined with 1st $ coverage to "cover the gap" for items such as accidents, preventative care and dental. A lot of the higher deductible plans additionally offer tax incentives by way of adding optional funds into a Health Savings Account. I am told that on average, every $70 a person sets into an HSA yields $100 back on taxes= a 30% savings. Additionally, 100% of insurance premiums are tax deductible. This combination has provided a winning situation for a lot of people, whereas it keeps the premiums affordable, while offering benefits that give value with the first dollar benefits. Certain companies also have up to a 36 month rate guarantee with discounts for not exceeding the annual deductible for up to six years into the future. This is an exciting development for the health insurance industry, as this is what aggrevates most people that I visit with, is why their rates go up so much each year more than home or auto insurance.

New programs have also been developed, with unlimited inpatient benefits (to the plan's lifetime maximum) yet with outpatient benefits "capped" to offer yet another affordable alternative.

The most progressive health insurer for the features mentioned above, from my experience, is Assurant Health - nationally see assuranthealth.com for further information for your state.

ravenofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Kybizlady

Default Finally something I know a little about!

I have followed the seo information here for months, hoping to absorb as I can, as seo's in our area are non-existant.

In regard to health insurance, that is my vocation. As my Montana collegue commented, Assurant Health is one of the easiest user friendly of the online insurance vendors. Another option for business folks, is HSA's. (Health Savings Accounts)

Don't be afraid to contact a local health insurance agent directly. Each state has their own guidelines, and a local agent with experience is going to be move savvy and take more time to get you attuned to the local business environment. In Kentucky, some small businesses qualify for assistance with health insurance costs.

Like SEO, health insurance is all about having knowledge. Do your research, then contact a expert, then make educated and informed decisions.

Kybizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 10:55 AM   #7
mmis

I was able to set up a PPO plan through Aetna...group plan. There are 5 members altogether and we pay $1200 a month. The plan we have pays for 90% in network and is a $250ind./$750family.

I went through ehealthinsurance.com. I had nothing but the greatest experience in working with my broker. If anyone would like a name for contact just send me a pm.

mmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 04:00 AM   #8
ideas2earn

The quotes here seem to be very high, I guess it is to do with US medical practices? I pay about $600 a year for my international plan but am based in Asia where medical care is a lot cheaper. If anyone wants the name of my broker you can PM me and I'll pass it on....could be worth a look.

ideas2earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 05:21 PM   #9
JackieHFS

Default Health insurance

Something I can help with.

First be wary of those special cheap health insurance banners you may see driving around. I have worked with employee benefits for 15 years and remember if its too good to be true it probably is. I was a licensed insurance producer for 4 years prior to working for the company my husband and I started in 2001.

Many gave you great ideas already. Is you are typically healthly, try a high deductible plan through your business so you can get those tax breaks. Than you can set up a health savings account (HSA) and put some additional dollars in their toward a deductible our any out of pocket medical (non cosmetic) expenses. In the past these plans were use it or lose it but now they can roll over into the next year. Additionally, group plans offer more comphrensive coverages and typically don't have lifetime maximums to worry about for the most part but read all the small print!

Good luck and make sure the broker you work with details the plan.

Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 01:20 PM   #10
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenofmany View Post
The most progressive health insurer for the features mentioned above, from my experience, is Assurant Health - nationally see assuranthealth.com for further information for your state.
I haven't found Time/Fortis/Assurant/Time to be very competitive in very many states, or situations. There are much better alternatives.

What do you base your opinion on?

El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote