Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st December 2013, 05:44 AM   #1
mhasan

Send a message via Skype™ to mhasan
Default Keyword Research

My competitors take on page rank 2,4,5,2,1.3,2,1,1.0 . But none of them go with the keyword into title tag as well as header tag. If i use that keyword into my title and header tag so therefore is it possible to outrank my competitors only for that keyword? Please i am expecting sincere answer.

mhasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st December 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Google has changed greatly over the past year or so. What used to work, does not work anymore.

If the sites you mention don't use that variable, then that is not why they are ranking where they are. You could always try adding that element to your page, but if it doesn't work, then there's something else going on.

There is a lot of focus being put on visitor behavior and what a visitor considers good. Put yourself in their shoes and view those pages from that angle. That may give you a better insight on what to do.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 09:16 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

PageRank has nothing to do with keywords. It's about links only. Whether your competitors use a specific keyword in their title tag of a page on their site has nothing to do with that page's PageRank.

Beyond that, Google doesn't use Toolbar PageRank (the PageRank we mere mortals can see) for anything. They do use "real" PageRank as part of their ranking algorithm, but "real" PageRank is not at all the same thing as the little green bar, or the numbers that PageRank scrapers show you. No matter what various "SEO" sites might tell you, no one outside the Googleplex has access to "real" PageRank.

Toolbar PageRank is merely an infrequently-updated, very (very) rough approximation of what "real" PageRank was, some number of months ago. Toolbar PageRank has no effect whatsoever on the rankings that show up in search results. So in terms of predicting whether you can outrank them, their Toolbar PageRank doesn't tell us (or you) anything useful at all.

Further, simply adding a keyword to your title tag and/or header may or may not have any effect at all, and it might not be the effect you'd like. It might help... on the other hand, it might hurt. (Google has been known to frown on pages that appear to be "over optimized.") Most likely, it will have very little effect... or at least, not as much as you think/hope it will.

And finally, with the new Hummingbird algorithm it's less important to locate a specific keyword in "all the right places." Google is now working to better approximate user intent rather than simply responding to the exact words they typed in the search box. These days they're looking for pages that are written in natural language -- for instance, using synonyms and equivalent phrases -- rather than pages written according to the old "rules," with one specific keyword precisely placed throughout.

Nobody can predict how Google will respond to a change you make on your page. Try it and see. Give it some time (a couple of months, maybe) to see what happens. If it helps, that's great. If it doesn't, then you can always change it back, or try something else.

--Torka

Old 1st January 2014, 05:11 PM   #4
mhasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
PageRank has nothing to do with keywords. It's about links only. Whether your competitors use a specific keyword in their title tag of a page on their site has nothing to do with that page's PageRank.

Beyond that, Google doesn't use Toolbar PageRank (the PageRank we mere mortals can see) for anything. They do use "real" PageRank as part of their ranking algorithm, but "real" PageRank is not at all the same thing as the little green bar, or the numbers that PageRank scrapers show you. No matter what various "SEO" sites might tell you, no one outside the Googleplex has access to "real" PageRank.

Toolbar PageRank is merely an infrequently-updated, very (very) rough approximation of what "real" PageRank was, some number of months ago. Toolbar PageRank has no effect whatsoever on the rankings that show up in search results. So in terms of predicting whether you can outrank them, their Toolbar PageRank doesn't tell us (or you) anything useful at all.

Further, simply adding a keyword to your title tag and/or header may or may not have any effect at all, and it might not be the effect you'd like. It might help... on the other hand, it might hurt. (Google has been known to frown on pages that appear to be "over optimized.") Most likely, it will have very little effect... or at least, not as much as you think/hope it will.

And finally, with the new Hummingbird algorithm it's less important to locate a specific keyword in "all the right places." Google is now working to better approximate user intent rather than simply responding to the exact words they typed in the search box. These days they're looking for pages that are written in natural language -- for instance, using synonyms and equivalent phrases -- rather than pages written according to the old "rules," with one specific keyword precisely placed throughout.

Nobody can predict how Google will respond to a change you make on your page. Try it and see. Give it some time (a couple of months, maybe) to see what happens. If it helps, that's great. If it doesn't, then you can always change it back, or try something else.

--Torka
Hello Torka,
Lot of thanks. I am becoming your fan!!! Now I am going through a little ground work with a purpose to determine the worthwhile keywords for my affiliate site. As i have analyzed those key words with respect to relevance, commerciality, traffic and levels of competition. Besides that i looked into my competitors sites for back links, domain authority, page authority, Dmoz directory listing as well as yahoo directory listing . Are there anything essential facts dropped out of that i am missing. I know content come first. Which factors usually i take into consideration to determine long tail keywords? Just to illustrate i have picked those keywords which are receiving 50 to 100 searches on daily basis. So am i heading in the right direction?

Last edited by mhasan; 2nd January 2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 1st January 2014, 05:14 PM   #5
mhasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseTaylor View Post
Google has changed greatly over the past year or so. What used to work, does not work anymore.

If the sites you mention don't use that variable, then that is not why they are ranking where they are. You could always try adding that element to your page, but if it doesn't work, then there's something else going on.

There is a lot of focus being put on visitor behavior and what a visitor considers good. Put yourself in their shoes and view those pages from that angle. That may give you a better insight on what to do.
I have to love your answer. Thanks for such a sincere help.

Old 5th January 2014, 11:20 PM   #6
abhirampathak3

Default Keyword Research

adwords.google. com/ko/KeywordPlanner/Home?__u=4213626442&__c=8641169242

Please visit here for Keyword Research.

Old 6th January 2014, 07:18 AM   #7
mhasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhirampathak3 View Post
adwords.google. com/ko/KeywordPlanner/Home?__u=4213626442&__c=8641169242

Please visit here for Keyword Research.
Thanks for your help. But i am looking for more specific suggestion as mentioned to my post.

Old 6th January 2014, 02:27 PM   #8
amita.harij

You may think you know what keyword you want to target, but fact check your instincts as well. Use several keyword tools to get a sense of the search volume for the keyword as well as the competition before you finalize your keyword choice. PageRank has nothing to do with keywords. Try targeting less competitive keywords until you’ve built up more authority.

amita.harij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 06:22 PM   #9
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post

--Torka

Agree, Definitely the best way to say it. As Google warns everyone to get rid of having a lot of keyword in every page we have on our site, much better to put your efforts in building great title and snippets for your pages.

Old 10th January 2014, 07:51 AM   #10
lessbrokerage

Hi,

I need Keywords Traffic Analysis Tool. Please Give me your Suggestions?

lessbrokerage is offline   Reply With Quote