Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th October 2010, 10:14 AM   #1
luxuria

Default How Long Did It Take?

For those of you with substantial email lists, how long did it take you to grow them?

My initial business plan projected much more rapid growth than I'm getting.

I started at 0 in September and am up to about 240. But I figure I need to add a zero to that for my business to really gain much traction.

I'm adding a few a day, but was hoping there is some magic number where it gets exponential.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

luxuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th October 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Asim

Send a message via MSN to Asim Send a message via Skype™ to Asim

How did you manage to get 240 since September? My email list has taken a lot longer to grow.
Do you have any tips?

Old 26th October 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
luxuria

I ran a contest that helped a lot by getting people to bring me new people.

You can see details here:
http://www.makeupdealoftheday.com/Ma...t_ep_44-1.html

And:
http://www.makeupdealoftheday.com/Ma...est_ep_42.html

I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but let me know if you have questions.

I will say that if I were to do it again, I'd use a lesser prize.

Also, if I do it again, I'm going to try to find co-sponsors with other ecommerce sites to chip in for prizes and to also draw from their existing mailing list.

Lastly, I work twitter to drive mailing list adds.

But I really expected to have at least 500 by now.

luxuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Asim

Send a message via MSN to Asim Send a message via Skype™ to Asim

That looks like a good idea, I might try something similar for my site, running a contest.

Old 14th November 2010, 03:05 PM   #5
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I think 240 since September is pretty good. The best advice I can give you is that you should sell your freebie (or whatever you are using to attract visitors to sign up with you) harder than you are selling your product.

After all, when they are on your list, you then have the opportunity to take several 'hits' at them.

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 09:33 PM   #6
BusinessZen

I started an email list in April of this year (on one of my largest sites) and have 3,182 subscribers today (15 November).

However, the blog had a large following to start with - averaging over 50,000 unique visits per month.

Obviously if you have a much smaller site you are not going to build as fast.

Also I provide a lot of great content on the email list (in fact most of it is articles I wrote over the years in my niche), and very little advertising. I used a lot of the older content from my blog as most people reading now were not reading several years ago. This keeps people around so I can get a good response rate when I have something important to announce.

Focus on great content and building backlinks - once your site has traffic the subscribers will follow.

Brad

BusinessZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 08:12 AM   #7
awkwardgenius

Over 3k subscribers? That's awesome. I hope I can build my list that fast. I am starting with a landing page offering a free video report, and I plan on setting up a blog where I can give away more solid content. I also plan on putting up some helpful Youtube vids and trying to connect with people via facebook.

I'd also initially planned on sending traffic directly to my landing page via PPC.

awkwardgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 11:20 AM   #8
phanio
VIP Contributor

Looks like you are doing all the right things. 240 in a short period is great - took me much longer.
Maybe it is not your rate of signup that is wrong but your expectations. Keep working at it - also go out and see what others are doing to spur signups - then see if that will work for you.

Old 17th November 2010, 09:27 AM   #9
BusinessZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardgenius View Post
Over 3k subscribers? That's awesome. I hope I can build my list that fast.

I'd also initially planned on sending traffic directly to my landing page via PPC.
Overall I would say the blog is most important - a stream of steady content will really help draw people in if you are willing to stick with it. However you need to commit at least 6-9 months to it as you probably won't see much for the first few months. Mix in a bit of video or screencasting to spice it up.

I also podcast (running 2 now), but believe its best to build a following of a few thousand before you launch the podcast.

I'm not a big fan of PPC, but I have been playing with highly targeted PPC (very long tail words) that send people to specific articles on my blog that have very low bounce rates. The technique costs me very little as these long tail words are cheap, but when I do get a click-through they will likely stay around. I've also noticed a secondary effect of receiving some additional (free) search traffic around those keywords that I'm targeting.

Cheers,
Brad

BusinessZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 04:16 AM   #10
Lou

Are you guys referring to an emailing list put together by yourself, or are you speaking of a list gather as a result of an opt-in feature? Or am I way off track?