Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2009, 07:22 AM   #1
coca12

Default Looking For Time Tracking Tools

Can anyone recommend me an alternative to ordinary time sheets?

coca12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th January 2009, 02:26 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

As it happens, I work in the time and attendance industry.

Your alternatives depend on what your needs are. For instance: whether you're tracking time just for yourself or for employees, how many employees you have, what type of business you have, what your budget is, and why you're tracking time.

For instance, if you're tracking time for the purpose of preparing payroll for your employees, there are all sorts of software-based solutions. You have your choice of software installed on your computer or hosted on the service provider's computer. You can pick input options ranging from punching in at your computer to terminals (keypad, badge or biometric) to telephony. Most of these will export employee hours worked to your payroll software or service bureau to save payroll prep time and eliminate clerical errors.

Especially if you're outside the United States, or if you're in one of the states like California that have their own quirky wage and hour rules, you'll want to make sure the software you're contemplating can accommodate your local regulations.

Costs can range from a one-time purchase of less than $100 to thousands of dollars, depending on the sophistication of the software and the number of employees you need to track.

If for some reason software doesn't work for you, you can always rely on the old faithful punch clock. There are newer electronic models that will automatically total employees' hours, so they offer some of the time-saving and accuracy-enhancing benefits of software. But you still have to key the time in to your payroll software or service bureau, so the potential for keying errors is still there.

For software, the 900-pound gorilla in the market is Kronos. But their packages might be overkill for most entrepreneurial and micro sized businesses. There are a zillion others, many of which specialize in web-based products: Tsheets, Time America, TimeTECH, TimeTrex, TimeForce, etc. Just do a search on "time and attendance software" to find a whole pile of companies.

There are several companies that offer both software and traditional punch clocks: Acroprint Time Recorder, Amano Cincinnati, Icon Time, Lathem Time, Pyramid Technologies, etc. You can buy their products directly from most of these, as well as from networks of local dealers and from retailers such as Staples, Office Max and Office Depot.

If you're tracking time for salaried exempt professionals for the purpose of billing clients for the time they've spent, there are also numerous software solutions. One I'm personally familiar with is the time tracking feature in Freshbooks. It isn't intended to track work time for payroll purposes, but it will do a good job of tracking time spend on different projects for billing purposes. It's particularly well-suited for solo practitioners and small teams.

Bottom line: there are all sorts of alternatives to ordinary time sheets.

--Torka

Old 13th February 2009, 07:09 AM   #3
gliwork

Default Life-log.com - nice time sheet (and result tracking) online tool

Try Life-log.com - this tool uses chess clock approach, plus statistics plus possibility to track any data/parameters. And it is free so far.

gliwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Lizapotter

Your question is not complete but still i would like to suggest you 2 softwares that you can use :

1. First one is Replicon . It is the world leader in web-based time and expense management solutions like:

* Easy and accurate time tracking using web based timesheets
* Track time & expense towards projects, clients or any entity your business requires
* Easily track billable and non-billable time
* Choose an approval path that fits your needs
* Smart e-mail notifications for timely timesheet
submissions/approvals

2. TimePanic is an award-winning application for tracking time spent at the computer.TimePanic is the ideal solution for:

* Improve your efficiency at work.
* Keep on top of all your projects.
* Keep an overview of all your priorities.
* See where the time is going in your day.
* See which projects/clients consume the most time.

Lizapotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Anelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coca12 View Post
Can anyone recommend me an alternative to ordinary time sheets?
It might help you to take a look at the links in my signature. I work for a software company that develops employee monitoring software in case this is what you are looking for.

Anelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 04:55 PM   #6
LeanRevolution

I researched this quite thoroughly last year for our software development company (20 people). I ended up choosing Replicon. I'm happy with the decision. They provide excellent product support and continuous improvement of the product.

LeanRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 09:17 AM   #7
adert

I like using http://www.e-tim.org its simple and free

adert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Vlam1989

Send a message via ICQ to Vlam1989 Send a message via Yahoo to Vlam1989 Send a message via Skype™ to Vlam1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanRevolution View Post
I researched this quite thoroughly last year for our software development company (20 people). I ended up choosing Replicon. I'm happy with the decision. They provide excellent product support and continuous improvement of the product.
I agree with you. Replicon is one of the best time tracking software this time..

Vlam1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 07:12 AM   #9
lisaniel

yeah Replicon is also the best one.

lisaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:42 PM   #10
selfemployedcaf

I use 1 time tracking, quite cool web based time tracker. It has a free plan to try and in fact that's the one I use.

http://1timetracking.com/

selfemployedcaf is offline   Reply With Quote