Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Radio Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th August 2008, 06:16 PM   #1
BusinessBurrito

Default Why Radio Is A Great Small Business Resource.

As someone who has worked on the creative end of advertising for 24 years, I can tell you that radio is absolutely one of my favorite mediums.

Why? Because radio truly is the “theater of the mind.” Radio uses voices, music and sound effects (sfx) to create moods and images that spark the imagination in a much different way than print or television ads.

With radio, the possibilities are endless.

Advertise on radio, and you have the opportunity to deliver a powerful message to a specific group of listeners. Radio stations know exactly who their audiences are, so if know who your customers are, then radio gives you the perfect opportunity to reach them. Find the station with your demographic, get a sales rep who will partner with you, and get ready to mine for gold.

Another great thing about radio is that it’s everywhere. At home, in the car, at the office, at the ballpark…wherever your customer is, radio isn’t far behind. It is a truly mobile medium and goes where you do.

And have you ever noticed how loyal radio listeners are to their station? Seriously loyal. Bordering on fanatical loyal. Mention a popular radio station’s call letters in a group of people and you will inevitably hear someone say “Oh, I love that station! I listen to them all the time!”

Radio stations are also about community involvement. Whether it’s performing a live remote at the grand opening of the new car dealership, or sponsoring a local charity event, no other medium touches consumers quite the same way radio can.

In conclusion, here are a few quick facts about radio you can use to impress your friends and family.
• Radio’s return on investment (ROI) is much higher (some studies say as high as 49%!) than television’s ROI. Much of this can be attributed to the fact that television is much more expensive to produce and run than radio, so the money you spend to produce and run radio is much lower.
• 96% of people who drive or ride in a car use the radio.
• In-car radio listening averages two hours and 12 minutes weekdays, and two hours and five minutes on weekends.
• 43% of drivers leave their car radios set to one station.
• There are over 600 million radios in use in the U.S.
• There are 5.6 radios per U.S. household.
• There are over 13,500 registered radio stations in the U.S.

Radio is everywhere! And in my opinion, if you want the most bang for your advertising buck, radio is one of your best resources.

BusinessBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Label Printing

Radio is really best source of advertisement of small business. Local directories are also good options for that.

Label Printing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Jingles

Radio advertising is cost-effective and has proven to be the best method for delivery of ads to focused audiences. Radio advertising does have an advantage especially when targeting none-tech people. It also helps boost the branding of the business. You just need to choose the best radio station for your ad. For more info about

Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 04:15 PM   #4
denise1000

i totally disagree.
waste of time and money...

denise1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Jamie99

I think today radio advertising has lost it's appeal. I think actually small businesses are more likely to benefit from social networking

Jamie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 07:47 AM   #6
patriciakramer
VIP Contributor

I am agree with this... because i listen radio and i feel like very nice... i like very much...

patriciakramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:05 AM   #7
commsxchange

Radio advertising on popular stations can be very expensive, especially for local businesses. Radio will only work if the service/product your offering is good enough to grab the attention of listeners.

The return on investment statistics will also only apply if your advertising the right type of company on the radio. I wouldn't read this post and think radio advertising is great and go straight into it, research what type of business you're in and work out what advertising has worked for others and what is best for your business.

commsxchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 07:35 PM   #8
EasyCleanTO

For people who do radio advertising here, do you use your own voice/create it yourself? Or do you just pay for the hosts to say a blurb about you?

Old 31st July 2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Mappstream

The radio station will require you to sign a contract and you should have a simple contract drawn up as well showing your payment policy, returns policy, dispatch policy, et cetera, et cetera.

In summary, your P.I. Advertising Package should include the following: 1. a cover letter 2. a sample or product literature 3. two thirty second and two sixty second adverts 4. your P.I. advertising contract 5. a stamped, self-addressed envelope.

In conclusion, I want to suggest a few bits of advice. While you are composing your commercials, try to include a catchphrase of some kind so that you can use it in your off-air advertising to remind people that your product has been advertised on-air. Spend a lot of thought writing your commercial: radio station managers are busy, professional people and they cannot afford to waste valuable air time on failures.

If your product sells and makes money for them, you will be welcome back, otherwise you will be ostracized. Put a couple of adverts in the paper and fliers through the doors to pre-warm people to your up-and-coming radio advertising campaign.

Mappstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 02:52 AM   #10
hectorconey12

Advertising in a radio station is actually quite good. There are lots of listeners within an area. But I guess it's not that famous anymore with the emergence of social media which I think offers cheaper advertising.

hectorconey12 is offline   Reply With Quote