Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th August 2006, 01:26 PM   #11
Noble

Default Btw

Good idea I think. BTW I've found an interesting application of this idea.

In November, 2004, Jeremy Wright, a Canadian blogger and technology writer, put himself up for auction on eBay as a blogger to rent. He auctioned himself for $3,350.

So 2 years ago that idea was brilliant but it still looks attractive.

Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st August 2006, 02:47 PM   #12
Logan
Administrator

Welp, I've posted a blogger for hire request within the exchange. There is a budget and it is for a broad topic - computer. So we'll see if there is any interest. I agree regarding screening, but that's a given to me since we are on the 'net ... but will there being any interest? I've dangled the carrot out with legit ongoing pay for a blogger on a common topic for a successful site - so we'll see how many and what quality of response I get back. I'll keep you posted here and let you know how it turns out. I'm gauging by two things I guess. The level of response, and whether I am able to succesfully fill the need. Since its a legit paying opportunity, I think it will be a fair test. Time will tell, for now.

Old 21st August 2006, 11:32 PM   #13
hotwebideas

I would love to write for someone's blog and have them write for mine. A true barter. No money exchanges hands and you get several writing styles to boot.

People love to write for free and show everyone what they know. You don't have to pay anyone to write on your blog, in my opinion.

hotwebideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 10:52 PM   #14
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm not one to exchange posts, mostly because I barely have time (or enough thought processes) to write for my own blog. But that's not to say that's not a bad idea. Aside from an exchange, I'm willing to let others contribute to my own blog for the exposure and the link, provided the content is good.

Old 2nd October 2006, 12:00 PM   #15
Mousee

Send a message via Skype™ to Mousee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwebideas View Post
I would love to write for someone's blog and have them write for mine. A true barter. No money exchanges hands and you get several writing styles to boot.
I don't understand why this can help. If it's your blog you share you personal or professional thoughts. How can the other person write instead of you? If someone has the opposite opinion he or she can comment you posts and the readers will hear different points of view.... Everybody will benefit.

Mousee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:28 AM   #16
TheIntroducer

Some interesting points on here.

Does anyone know of any successful blogs where they are updated by more than one person? I originally set up my blog to have a couple of people updating it and contributing, but I didn't think it worked quite as well as "one voice"

TheIntroducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:23 AM   #17
TMCG

this is very interesting to me. i've been trying desperately to take on a partner for helping me make contacts, posting in forums, and possibly blogging.

i'd say the problem with just hiring a blogger is that to me, it seems to lack a sense of genuineness (is that a word?)...

anyhow, to me, this online experience can be draining, spiritually. sitting behind a computer, typing all day or doing it as a means for ends meat, just seems like the person would naturally somehow, get lost.

and hiring someone to blog - to me it just doesn't seem genuine. so much of what you read online lacks something i just can't put my finger on. i don't care how nice the site is and how great the product is - the bottom line is there is a disconnect there, almost like a void.

however, if there's a sense of strong genuine caring and appreciation for the reader/user/customer, etc. then the content, i think, will ultimately be ten-times better in quality. to write well, like that, the writer must really genuinely care about who will read it, who they're writing it for, how it reads, and they'll take the time to marvel at the content, change it as many times as it takes, to make it "the nutz". unless they are a PROFESSIONAL, who loves writing, the content will ultimately be substandard. secondly, this PROFESSIONAL, needs to know the market they're writing for and understand the business your company is in.

i don't really know where i'm going with this, but that's just my thoughts right now and thoughts are always sub2 change.

TMCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:26 AM   #18
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

There are a number of SEO blogs that have multiple contributors. The problem I have with those is they sometimes generate 10-15 posts a day. That's too much for me to keep up with.

Old 3rd October 2006, 11:56 AM   #19
Logan
Administrator

A couple thoughts after going thru the spin cycle of the blog exchange... I understand the comments about paying for others to blog.

Hiring a professional writer to blog for your site? The following is just a hypothetical example of what it 'might' cost to hire a professional writer to blog for an initial trial period.

For starters, you are looking to incorporate a new 'voice' within your blog. This takes an evalutation time in my opinion. The best/right approach for the blogger and the blog imo is to consider them joining in as a 'guest blogger' for an initial time period. For our example, lets say 3 months. How many posts? As stoney said, there is a balance and you won't want to flood your blog typically so readers can't keep up. For this example, lets say 3 times a week. So regarding quantity a scenario might be 3 times a week for 3 months. This would be a ballpark of 36 posts for an initial 'guest blogger' trial. Then there is the factor that different writers will write in different styles - long vs short posts. How many hours per each post? Its going to vary, but lets say 2-1/12 hours per post will be taken by a serious/professional writer. That adds up in our example to 90 hours.

How much does a professional writer charge? Well, again this is going to vary. But for our example lets say $60 per hour. Of course, this is going to depend on the writer and the profile of client (i.e. joe's shop VS dell). So fto hire a professional blogger for an initial trial based on the hypothetical example above someone might be looking at $5400.

That's the professional writer side. there are obviously professional writers that would be interested. And perhaps, for the right high profile site/client it may be of interest.

But not practical for many by any means, and the exchange is a free place where offers are being made based on many non monetary transactions and a lot less money than described above.

Regarding the whole 'lack of ownership' from the guest blogger, I didn't get the sense that was going to be an issue. I think because there is 'ownership' with what anyone writes. For example, how many publish articles thru other distribution points (i.e. this site for example) with great pride.

I did get interest/responses from what I did post there, so there are bloggers interested out there. And they were very experienced with the topic I posted. Really, it wasn't hard to find other 'experts' on a topic out there. Its just finding the right 'exchange' from your side, although I doubt many would find hiring the 'professional' writer the right fit - taking it from there with your own circumstances and making adjustments might spark something for some.

Quote:
unless they are a PROFESSIONAL, who loves writing, the content will ultimately be substandard. secondly, this PROFESSIONAL, needs to know the market they're writing for and understand the business your company is in.
I thought the same going into the process, but after talking to others my mind changed to the possibility that this could be a serious way to really get a competitive advantage. I found experts in the area i was looking at that would have increased the 'profile' of the site beyond my own capabilities because of the expert type past experiences they brought to the table. Flip your thinking around, and I think it could actually be a potent competitive advantage within your business/niche.... if you do find the 'right' person who can bring past experiences/resume to your business profile.

Quote:

People love to write for free and show everyone what they know. You don't have to pay anyone to write on your blog, in my opinion.
And that sort of exchange is going on there. Without doubt, the exception is those that 'pay' someone to write/blog. But professional writers are hired every day for every sort of writing imagineable.... and many write for free everyday as well without payment. There is a difference when it comes to a professional/paid writer.

Old 7th October 2006, 06:50 AM   #20
rangan

Default I think there is a future for pro bloggers.

I have been getting paid to blog about various clients.
Of late I am also hired as a ghost writer ( should I say ghost blogger?)

I know there are about 6 companies that hire bloggers with blogs that have a PR3 and above.

rangan is offline   Reply With Quote