Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd June 2006, 12:15 AM   #1
frankw

Default What is the Best Resource to Use to Start a Blog?

Thanks for your patience all.
I am absolutely new to all this blog thing and need a place to start. What and/or where is the best way to start a blog for my new business? I would also like to incorporate an article "feed" - is that possible?
Many Questions
HELP

frankw is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd June 2006, 01:05 AM   #2
CMitchell

Frank,

Blogger.com is probably the easiest and more popular since Google owns it but WordPress is definitely funner to use You have more control over your blog, you can make it look more like a website and there's tons of support too. There is a bit of a learning curve with wordpress but if you're willing to learn then you should at least give it a shot.
There are programs out there that you can use to add feeds to your blog. There's RSStoBlog (not an affiliate link) but it's a little pricy. I've never used it but it is popular.
There's also WordPressMassInstaller (this is an affiliate link ) with this program you can create many blogs with several niches and it will add the feeds automatically, it's pretty cool and super easy to use. I've created several blogs with this already.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions feel free to pm me.

~Christine

CMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Hendry Lee

Send a message via MSN to Hendry Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Hendry Lee
Default Blogger.com, WordPress or MovableType

Frank,

That's all depends on your blogging strategy, budget and experience.

Blogger.com is free but if you don't transfer your blog to your own host, that is kind of amateurish, so to speak. If you decide to use Blogger then please move to your own domain. The benefit is, Google automatically update the software for you, you don't need to have any maintenance overhead. But this tool has its own limitation though. Currently you can't add category and it was limited as to how you can expand the feature (unlike other platform with plugins), but there exist third party services that help you accomplish that.

WordPress.org is also free software but you definitely need a hosting account. I know there is WordPress.com but for the same reason I don't recommend a business blog on free blog domain. This blogware comes with a myriad of plug-ins and themes, very powerful.

MovableType is another popular option. It is not free though, but some people prefer this to WordPress and vice versa.

All of them above supports RSS and/or Atom feed.

Other options include b2evolution, Expression Engine, Nucleus, etc. For starters, I recommend nothing but Blogger.com, WP, and MT.

Christine: I don't usually recommend people to use RSStoBlog as what the software produce is low quality or duplicate content. If you are to build a long term business, build a unique and quality page, one at a time.

Hendry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 01:17 PM   #4
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Good advice Hendry. I'm using WordPress myself and highly recommend it. It's the only blog software I've used and so have nothing to compare it to, but I've been impressed with it from the start and it's given me no reason to look elsewhere.

Frank when I was asking myself the same questions as you are now I came across this Blog Software Breakdown which helped me alot in comparing the different options.

Old 29th June 2006, 04:15 AM   #5
Cratima
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Cratima Send a message via Yahoo to Cratima

Cool

By using Blogger.com you can't have by default the new posts sent via email.

Cratima uses FeedBlitz - http://www.feedblitz.com/ -, a third-party application that integrates into your blog. It basically gets the new posts from the blog (once a day if you choose the free service) and sends a daily digest via email. It's much easier to stay in touch with what happens on the blog this way.

Happy blogging!

Old 29th June 2006, 10:26 AM   #6
MattB

Frank,

I've used many blog software programs, and I have to say that my favorite is wordpress. If there is something "extra" that you want to do with it - you can always find a plug-in the increase the capabilities.

The best bet is to find a host that offers one-click Wordpress setup. You don't have to do anything but identify where you want the blog set up (root or subdirectory) and then click - it's all done for you. A list of Wrdpress-supported hosts are at www.wordpress.org

Best of luck!

MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 10:46 PM   #7
Parker1

Thumbs up problogs.com

A great site to create a professional blog is at http://www.problogs.com. ProBlogs is easy to use and your blog can be customized so that it matches the current style of your website.

The site has a free account or you can upgrade for just a few bucks a month and get more space and no ads on your blog (more professional...)

Parker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 02:08 AM   #8
VirtualOffice

Exclamation PHP Blog Manager

We have been using PHP Blog Manager (www.phpblogmanager.com) for the same purpose and find it unbeatable - it's free (always!), no ads, hosts images for us, and is customized to match our own site(s) using their easy template engine.

I think that any site that charges for blogging or accessories these days is pushing the envelope a bit...
IMHO

VirtualOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 10:14 AM   #9
John Triscan

Definitely using wordpress.org is your best option, you really want to start your own blog on your own domain and webhost. That way you fully own it.

You can use Blogger to dip your toe in the water to test and get a feel but when you are ready to get going, do not muck around and simply run wordpress on your own site.

John Triscan is offline   Reply With Quote