Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd February 2006, 01:51 AM   #1
jamestcs

Default malaysia manufacturer attitude toward website design

As a web developer, i am disappointed with the websites of many malaysian manufacturers.

Many of the websites are not updated for the past few years. Even the telepone number has been changed but in the website the number still remain the old one.

In the year 2002, the goverment agency SMIDEC has a grant for the manufacturer to build up the website. It was effective, according to a reliable data, more than 3,000 manufacturers have signed-up with the grant and they have websites that display their products.

But until now, they website still remain in the old design. Worsely, the information are not updated.

When i trying to approach them for re-design or update the website, they first response is "how much is the charge ? " when i told them the price, they want cheaper and cheaper, which i think most of the web developer cannot take the offer.

Why ? because the website was built under the government grant. It is consider a free website and the manufacturers don't need to pay any money.

And now when i ask them to pay for update/change, they are very reluctant to pay the fee.

If Malaysia manufacturer still have this kind of attitude, it is very difficult for Malaysia to compete to oversea in this Information Technology Time.

Last edited by jamestcs; 20th March 2006 at 04:50 AM.
jamestcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd February 2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

Hi James,

It is not only in Malaysia that this is a problem. There are websites all over the world with the same problem. Initially the government were at fault with their grant. Had they made it a condition that the business demonstrate potential benefit from the website, then the business owners would HAVE to have put some thought into how the site could benefit their visitors and themselves.

Getting the business owner to work out a reason for living for the website is crucial to the success of the site, and business.

Old 4th March 2006, 05:15 AM   #3
jamestcs

Hi Old Welsh Guy,

Yes, you are right, education is important. But people will never learn a lesson until they pay the price. Or, showing them the results that achieved by their competitors could be useful.

I try to educate them by showing some good examples of website who own by manufactures, and who sucessfully increase their sales to overseas by having attactive and up-to-date website.

Hope it could help

Thanks again for your comment Guy.

Last edited by jamestcs; 4th March 2006 at 05:18 AM.
jamestcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 04:46 PM   #4
funchip

The problem was also related to the way of doing business in Asia. I don't know much about Malaysia, but in China for example the majority of business deals were still done in old fashion way - eat, drink and talk. The labors are relatively cheaper so the owners could afford to hire people; for them, it's easier than to operate computers.

That leads to the situation of less relying on website for business showcases and transactions, comparing to US and Europe. But I know the hi-tech is spreading fast in Asia. The situation will change dramatically in next couple years.

funchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 01:02 AM   #5
karlahaze

Default I also have student loans to pay

Ok, I am in serious need for a way to help me finish paying for school. I have gotten way too far to just drop out, and I also have student loans to pay when I do graduate, so I am really trying to hold out until then. The only problem is I need some extra help. I am receiving financial aid, but it is not paying for my living expenses. My part time job isn't helping either. I applied for student loans in other places, but wasn't successful. Does anyone have any suggestions?

karlahaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 10:20 PM   #6
ollie22

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlahaze View Post
Ok, I am in serious need for a way to help me finish paying for school. I have gotten way too far to just drop out, and I also have student loans to pay when I do graduate, so I am really trying to hold out until then. The only problem is I need some extra help. I am receiving financial aid, but it is not paying for my living expenses. My part time job isn't helping either. I applied for student loans in other places, but wasn't successful. Does anyone have any suggestions?
how many part time jobs do you have?? you might want to get another one to help you out. this would leave you tired and exhausted but it will pay the bills.

ollie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 10:52 PM   #7
pete
VIP Contributor

I have spent some hours on a Malaysian webmaster forum. I stopped going there because the service was so slow I just did not have the patience to wait for the pages to change.

There was a lot of activity on the forum, but it was very basic. There was hardly any talk of ecommerce. Most of the talk concerning money was about how to get money from PayPal.

It seemed like many wanted to learn, but there was a lot of "the blind leading the blind" with much dis-information. Not intentional, but just plain lack of knowledge of the subject.
I spend a lot of time on forums, but that was by far the slowest and the most newbie oriented one I've been to. I believe the Internet infrastructure is pretty primitive and don't think there is much ecommerce there at all.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote