Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
EricB
VIP Contributor

Default LinkedIn For Your Business

Hi Everyone,

I know a lot of people have LinkedIn on this site. My question is for people who have a full time day job, but are also starting their own business. I want to start a LinkedIn page for my start up business, but don't really want my current employee to know about it. How have you handled this in the past? Do you set up an alias LinkedIn or just not have one?

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th August 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Be very careful with being "anonymous" on Linkedin, thats not what Linkedin is all about, if you don't want to be found then I would stay away from it, Linkedin is your CV and people searching for employers would avoid a person who didn't have a good profile, filled in and completed which includes an image

I would not talk with anyone who social media who didn't want to share information about themselves and certainly never with someone who didn't have an image, on Linkedin, you ideally use a head and shoulders shot for your profile

On a good note, it is a great place to meet new people and network with companies

Simone

Old 20th August 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
EricB
VIP Contributor

Thanks for your input! Has anyone been in my situation before?

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
MikeRoncone

Send a message via Skype™ to MikeRoncone
Default Yes, I have been in this situation

Howdy Eric,

I have been in your situation before, and I know that it can be a very tough decision to make. The way I see it, you have three options, I'll you your options before I tell you what I would do:

Option 1: You go ahead and say screw it and make your profile reflect your new business. This way, you can be completely honest and open with everyone and make it a little easier to gain their trust.

Option 2: You leave your personal linkedin profile the way it is, not reflecting your new business. However, what you CAN do is make a business page that has many of the same capabilities of a regular profile. You can post updates and articles from the business site and just SHARE them with your regular profile. The downside is that people get confused as to who is behind the business, since you don't display it.

Option 3: You get someone like a partner that would serve as the "face" behind your business profile for anyone that looks. This would have to be a VERY trustworthy person that would not try to take all of the credit away from you. This isn't a really good option, it is your work, your business, and your pride. But, it is an option if absolutely necessary.

Personally, what I would do, and DID do, is go ahead and reflect my new business in my LinkedIn profile. My employers know that I run a business on the side and don't care as long as it does not interfere with my job with them. In fact, I have actually gotten quite a few referrals from my coworkers so it has worked out very well.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and you will have to make it work no matter what you decide. It's definitely possible to have both sides of the coin here, but option one is still the most effective for your business, though might not be the most beneficial for your current employer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
-Mike

MikeRoncone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Bo_Manry

Yea, if you make a profile it will be found. LinkedIn is used so much these days for recruiters and people searching for jobs. It's probably best to stay away from it.

Bo_Manry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 01:24 AM   #6
eastvantage

Every detail of my Linkedin profile is accurate, except for my first and last name. Would that be ok?

Old 19th September 2012, 04:02 AM   #7
Annabelle1
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Annabelle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvantage View Post
Every detail of my Linkedin profile is accurate, except for my first and last name. Would that be ok?
I think it is not ok, (I don't think the others) because linkedIn for professional network where you can find your job, businesses, and other related sources from other people's background.

Annabelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
donovanjames786
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
Hi Everyone,

I know a lot of people have LinkedIn on this site. My question is for people who have a full time day job, but are also starting their own business. I want to start a LinkedIn page for my start up business, but don't really want my current employee to know about it. How have you handled this in the past? Do you set up an alias LinkedIn or just not have one?
I don't know this completely but I think this can be customized in settings option. Try doing this may be you can get any help their.

Old 5th November 2012, 11:16 PM   #9
D_Kotian

I have seen many companies use linkedin to promote their business but we would not gain popularity like facebook and twitter.

Old 6th November 2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Toshiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
Hi Everyone,

Eric, I have to agree mostly with what Mike said, I was in this situation just a few months ago, I was working a job & I wanted to create myself a facebook page but at the same time I didn't want anyone at my job I had back then to see it especially any supervisors. Well after debating on this month after month I felt exactly like Mike explained I said Screw It!

I had honestly gotten to the point of where I didn't really care anymore because I was working on building my business on a part time basis back then & facebook was part of my strategy, therefore may be as mentioned you can put it under another name or something or make it private (if you can) but this can be worked out somehow.

Think about it like this would it jeopardize your job or business if someone that you didn't want to find it did? What would be the repercussions of them seeing this or shall I say how would it affect you?

If the circumstances aren't to bad then I'd go for it.

Keep us updated & good luck to you!

Toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote