Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2005, 02:55 PM   #1
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Default Using blogging software for a standard site

I'm considering starting a new information-based website. Would it be feasible/desirable to use WordPress (I like it, and use it already on my other site ) as the way of adding content to the site?

I'm envisioning writing articles, posting reviews, etc. But I don't really want people to think it's a blog - i.e. I would remove the dates maybe...

My concern: do the SEs respect blog content just as much as regular static pages? When I do searches in Google for instance, I rarely find a blog as the location of a high-ranking SERP. Have others experienced this?

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th August 2005, 05:44 PM   #2
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

bump

Old 7th September 2005, 03:39 PM   #3
StupidScript
Administrator

Hi Jesse,

What is it about WordPress that you favor for whole-site deployment?

There are many, many open source "CMS" (Content Managment System) programs out there that are at least as easy to install as WordPress and offer much more flexibility with regard to layout, security and other web page stuff.

Don't get me wrong ... WordPress works very well as blog software, but I'm thinking you need something more robust to do "real" site development.

See OpenSourceCMS.com for a bunch of open source CMS programs that you can check out before you install one.

Regarding search engines and blogs ... while evidence is anecdotal at best, it seems that the particular blog feature that SEs appreciate the most is the RSS feeds most blogs are syndicated in. Whether the content of the blog is relevant to a search is up to the writer. Since most blogs are a bit pedantic (!), they may not be as visible in a generalized search result as pages dedicated to information about the search topic.

You can easily create an RSS feed for any website, and include it in your site code to tempt the spiders, just like blogs do. I'll make a little thread with those instructions.

Hope that's helpful to you!

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 04:48 AM   #4
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidScript
Hi Jesse,

What is it about WordPress that you favor for whole-site deployment?

There are many, many open source "CMS" (Content Managment System) programs out there that are at least as easy to install as WordPress and offer much more flexibility with regard to layout, security and other web page stuff.
Great advice StupidScript! That was my first thought as well. I have discovered that Blogger and others offer a "FTP publish" option that will actually update your website automatically. I tested Blogger and it really works.

Bottom line, instead of StupidScript.blogspot.com, you can have StupidScript.com and tell Blogger to publish your articles to the default page of your domain. With Blogger anyway, it will even publish your static pages and archives, offer rss/atom feeds and even redirect misguided surfers from blogspot to your spot.

Not a correction of your advice I assure you... just another option.

Oh... FTR: I'm not affiliated with Blogger or Google in any way.

SoKyBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjj215
I'm considering starting a new information-based website. Would it be feasible/desirable to use WordPress (I like it, and use it already on my other site ) as the way of adding content to the site?
I'm not familiar with WordPress, but I can tell you that we use MovableType as a poor man's CMS and I personally love it.

Quote:
I'm envisioning writing articles, posting reviews, etc. But I don't really want people to think it's a blog - i.e. I would remove the dates maybe...
Not being familiar with WordPress, I can't say for sure, but if it is similar to Movabletype, all of that will be possible.

Quote:
My concern: do the SEs respect blog content just as much as regular static pages?
James hit the nail on the head when he said the problems with many blogs will be the content, not necessarily the fact that they use blog software. As long as the content is relevant and search engine friendly, the search engines will respect it just as much as if you wrote it in notepad and ftp'd it.

I do recommend that you look at the CMS site James mentioned because there may be features of a particular CMS that you just gotta' have.

A big factor that has kept me using MovableType is the huge user base. I've yet to have a question that I couldn't find answered at MovableType's forums. At times, the answer is no, but there are some really creative people that come up with wonderful workarounds.

Finally, if you plan to use blogging software as CMS, you will have to use workarounds and make concessions. I've been willing to live with that so far.

Old 8th September 2005, 05:02 PM   #6
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Thanks for your replies. I'll definitely check out that site that SS supplied. I don't get the whole rss feed thing. I need to study up on the basics I guess.

Old 10th October 2005, 02:10 PM   #7
esearing
VIP Contributor

Word press gets my vote. MovableType is ok too.

To really customize wordpress you have to know a little PHP. However there are templates you can download. Or you can just swap out the heading image of the default theme and change the colors on the STYLE.CSS file.

You can also blend the blog and regular website pages too as we have done.

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 04:41 PM   #8
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

I've spent the past little while getting wordpress to be pretty much the backend of my site and I think it'll work fairly well. I want my site to have a bit of a blog feel to it, so I can actively update and provide more content to my readers.

the nice things I've found about having a database hold all the faqs and articles is that I can query them in useful ways in other places and don't have to worry about gonig back, changing links, etc.

Updating the site is much more inviting now too b/c I can just login to the back end and write what I need to write - don't have to worry about uploading, adding links, etc.

I think in the end these 10 hours I've spent migrating it over will pay for itself in saved time again and again and again.

Old 9th November 2005, 05:12 PM   #9
V75 GURU

Default how I do

I think that I use a blog (click the horse and check my "website") as You ask?

More blog traffic exchanges refuse it and say, that it isn't a blog, but I can show it on blogclickers and blogazoo + all the normal traffic exchanges

A blog is very easy to edit ... I do it several times a day ... and it load very quick, which is important using traffic exchanges.

I use it as a "news splashsite"

P.S. Yahoo is said to list blogs this month?

Last edited by V75 GURU; 9th November 2005 at 05:16 PM.
V75 GURU is offline   Reply With Quote