Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th September 2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Casteel521

Default Looking Business Ideas

Hey my name is Jake and I have been in production all my adult life. I now have a schedule that allows me to be off 2-3 days a week. So I'm looking to start a business for my spare time. I like to start something where it's just me doing the work, I don't want employees. I have a 1500 square foot shop at my house that I can virtually do anything out of. I have been researching businesses for about a year now and I still can't find something that is fitting for me. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty but them again would love to be behind a computer making things happen. The only two ideas I'm still
Pondering are powdercoating/sandblasting or making faux stone for constuction. I'm not looking to be a millionaire, I just would like to be proud of something. Thanks

Casteel521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
gotlivechat

What's the competition like for "powdercoating/sandblasting or making faux stone for construction"? It sounds like something you enjoy, but you'll want to get an idea how many other ppl offer the same services, especially before investing significant funds for equipment.

Old 23rd September 2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Casteel521

To my knowledge there is only one company here that does powdercoating, but the startup cost will be very high. I would like something I could start small then invest all my profit into growing. As far as the faux rock goes, no one within 150 miles produces here. I know little about the process but it sounds interesting and I could start very small and cheap. If anyone has more info on either of these options please inform me. I also would like to hear any other opportunities as well. Thanks

Casteel521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 10:00 AM   #4
davyre

Default Looking Business Ideas

Hi casteel521,
I ran my own powder coating and painting company back in the 90s, even then it was very expensive for plant and electro static guns, not to mention finding premises large enough to handle the work, I am not saying its a bad idea but I found that more and more companies started to do inhouse powder coating, It was also very competitive, so you will need to do as much research as possible to establish if there is a market for this service, Either way I wish you every success and feel free to ask me any questions you may have, take care.

davyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 05:09 PM   #5
executivecoach

Default How About Being A Consultant Or Coach?

Before I became an executive coach I ran my own company for 20 years. Then I realized there are so many new businesses that could benefit from my experience. I realized I could save so many in my industry headaches and money with my experience. Since you have so much maybe there are people out there ready to pay you for it? The great thing is that you set your own schedule and do it by phone or IM. Anyhow, I don't know your industry but could be worth a look.

Good Luck!

Sam

executivecoach is offline   Reply With Quote