Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th April 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
CindyYoung

Default Keyword <meta> Tags

Do search engines even pay attention to the keywords meta tag anymore? I heard that they don't. Should I use the meta tags or is a waste of time?

I also heard that if I do use the keyword meta tag, I can only use a particular word three times in that tag otherwise it is considered spamming. So I could use "understanding men", "about men", "men behavior", but I could not add "all about men" because the word "men" would be repeated more than three times. Is this true?

Thanks for your input!

CindyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Ok, you may be confused and I hope I can help.

META Keywords, usually word, word, word, are not typically used. Now, just because Nobody really, really knows, I will always add 3-4 keywords to that list. I don't go crazy.

META DESCRIPTION IS Important. Some will tell you that it's not, but I have proof. I write articles on a site that is indexed very quicly by Google. The article distribution site provides tools for me to see how my articles were found.

One example was where My title was:

Marketing Online Required Good Copy - Here is a Trick That the Gurus Will Not Tell You.

In the meta description, the term 'list of product benefits' was used.

When a person typed 'list of product benefits' in the Google search, my article came up #2. That was ONLY because of the meta description.
That's important.

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Tiggerito

Google does not look at keywords, but other search engines may. Infacts "Google AdWords" may look at it for extra hints on what adverts to display!

At the moment, most advice is to keep your keywords to less than 10 and repetition is a waste.

Meta description is still often used by Google as the summary for your entry in search results, so its a good way to promote your page.

My article called How to add a Page Descriptions should help some more.

Tiggerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 10:41 AM   #4
joshua99
VIP Contributor

Google does not use it anymore but this does not mean that the other search engines do not use it. To be on the safe side I will advise you to place it on your site.

Old 14th April 2010, 10:55 AM   #5
CindyYoung

Default Thanks for the advice

I will keep using the meta tag, keywords, and thanks again for your advice. I wasn't aware that some search engines still use it or that Google uses it for certain things.

CindyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 11:29 AM   #6
businessinfo10

I personally haven't noticed a difference in my pages in terms of search engine traffic between the pages that use the meta tags, and those that don't. I would say, if you put that time into doing something else like article marketing, or blog commenting, you will make better use of that time.

I.E. Don't sweat over it, or spend more than 1 minute on it.

Just my opinion.

good luck!

-B.

businessinfo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 09:11 PM   #7
kenny1703

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyYoung View Post
Do search engines even pay attention to the keywords meta tag anymore? I heard that they don't. Should I use the meta tags or is a waste of time?

I also heard that if I do use the keyword meta tag, I can only use a particular word three times in that tag otherwise it is considered spamming. So I could use "understanding men", "about men", "men behavior", but I could not add "all about men" because the word "men" would be repeated more than three times. Is this true?

Thanks for your input!
as many SEOer suggested, Keywords meta tag has not been useful any more. however, this one is not harmful to your site also. So, you may use it. however, in my point of view, you should not used too much keyword on the meta tags, just use some target keyword, that's enough. the word "men repeated more than 3 time is okie...don't have bad effect to your site. however, in your body text will be have effect.

kenny1703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 09:51 PM   #8
ZackHanebrink

Both meta keywords and meta description are both pretty pointless now, more of a best practice that you just do. However, I still do both. Meta description is good to optimize for humans and sneak in one keyword or so with it. Most search engines do not put much if any weight into meta keywords or meta description. Gone are the good ol days of keyword stuffing for results.

ZackHanebrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 10:04 AM   #9
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
meta keywords and meta description are both pretty pointless now
I disagree. If my attachment worked, you will see a screen shot of a google search. I write for ezinearticles.com and this article (as shown in the attachment) ranked No. 2 on the first page of google, but ONLY because of the phrase in the meta description.

I do agree that keywords are not important. I still will insert 2-3 because you're there... it will not hurt, but the desciption... I take time to assure it includes keyword phrases. No... not stuffing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleMAR-5rev.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	103  
BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 02:02 PM   #10
kevin44

it good to have keywords in your tag and also your description. Even if it don't matter to Google you might just cash in on other search engines.