Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th August 2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Spider
VIP Contributor

I write HTML in Notepad. The only way to have complete control over the code!

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th August 2011, 02:41 PM   #12
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

AUGUST 29, 2011

Quote:
I write HTML in Notepad
Wow... I haven't heard of anyone doing that for a LONG TIME! I used to play with it... but I kept missing the little things that caused errors.

Logan, just to confirm, I am using our proprietary CMS and Shopping Cart. Sorry, I should have made that a little clearer.

SOFT LAUNCH:
To date, I have all the basics of the site up and running. Although right now, the home page needs a little more content, it provides the basic details.

I used by Google Webmaster account to 'add' the site. I used the <meta> option where I was able to paste the one line of code (provided by Google) into the <head> section of the page, and then asked Google to verify. (Actually, that happened on Saturday, August 27th.)

Today, the site is indexed in Google. Well, that doesn't mean it's going to start to appear in the SERP's just yet, but at least they know about it, and that's about as much as you can ask for when you're working with a TOTALLY NEW SITE AND DOMAIN NAME.

STILL WORKING ON...
-Finishing content for downloads when visitors subscribe. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I am (sort of) going overboard here. It's my 'over-deliver' concept. Just looking around, the site is going to be in a competitive field, so going the extra distance is one way to improve registrations.

-Starting the series of Auto Responder messages. That's pretty quick work, but each one will include links and just need to be sure they are all correct. (Although I say it's quick work, part of that is because I have always maintained lists for sites that I have operated. So maybe it's easier for me. However, this is (what I think) a critical part to the long term success of any website. It's all about staying in touch with visitors. I didn't say hammering them to sell them all the time... no! It's about building a relationship. So it is important to hold their attention and continue to deliver good content. That means good subject lines on messages; short messages so they actually get read and not ditched... and all of that stuff! Just wanted to be clear!)

That's it for now. We're pretty much still on target for the launch at the end of this month... or maybe over this long weekend (so I can work while everyone else is out there playing!)

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Sanity Check

I'm curious to know if you plan to continue posting new textual content to the site after you "finish" the site by this weekend?

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 09:38 AM   #14
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi Sanity Check! Hope all is well at your end.

I certainly will be adding new content and it will probably continue for several months.

When I said 'finish' the site, what I really meant was to get the site to the point where everything is working properly and the AR series of messages and downloads are complete.

I also need to optimize some of the content (because I write first and then optimize) and complete the on-site links.

Old 31st August 2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
Hi Sanity Check! Hope all is well at your end.

I certainly will be adding new content and it will probably continue for several months.

When I said 'finish' the site, what I really meant was to get the site to the point where everything is working properly and the AR series of messages and downloads are complete.

I also need to optimize some of the content (because I write first and then optimize) and complete the on-site links.
I'm busy but doing well, BeTheBest. Hope you are, too. I didn't really think you weren't going to add more content, but as this is a follow-me project, I thought it would be good for you to clarify that point.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 10:13 AM   #16
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
My business model is to create affordable eBooks that will provide sensible and targeted information on a variety of topics that are all related to setting up and building your website or improving an existing one.
Quote:
I am looking to attract visitors that need help with their websites.
I'm trying to understand and maybe this is something you are planning on sharing down the road, but what is your revenue model? Are you selling ebooks, making money with advertising on the site, selling web development services of your own? All the above?

Quote:
I write HTML in Notepad. The only way to have complete control over the code!
Good to hear! For others Topstyle is a little easier on my eyes, programs like it have advanced settings where you can click off the options that change any code. Best of both worlds for me.

Old 1st September 2011, 06:07 PM   #17
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi Logan!
Sorry to take so long to get back here. It's been a little busy! The revenue model pretty is simple and one that I have used before. It's based on a real low price to 'try' my information. The eBook information (that will be sold) is targeted information and sells at (what I consider very affordable) prices.

Borrowing this model from a site that I set up in 2004, I have found that people will 'risk' a small amount to see what you offer. If they like it, they return. (I see repeat sales constantly on my other sites... where visitors spend $9.95 to 'try' and then return spending several times that when they return)

The model is pretty simple.. and sort of an 'old fashioned' way of doing things, considering that all the gurus out there want to slap you with a crazy course or offering before you even know if you can trust the validity of their information.

There are other products I am developing now that go way beyond the basics. When I can show you a simple system about how to write great content for a site, one simple trick to eliminate writer's block forever, how to craft headlines that attract eyeballs and then give you several different methods to optimize that content... well that's a little more then a simple eBook. But I know that program won't sell unless buyers find value in my information.

So the short answer is this:
1) To start, I am doing nothing more then driving traffic to my free info; As I stated earlier, I have gone way overboard on this.

2) Release solid information in low cost eBooks

3) Host Webinars/Teleseminars to share a lot of information (and build my list)

4) Continue to build higher priced products that reveal all the tricks I have developed over my career.

Hope this answers your question!

Old 8th September 2011, 03:40 PM   #18
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

SEPTEMBER 8

Three weeks into this project. I must tell you that this site is not my primary focus throughout the day. I do most of the work during the 'off' hours. But still, 3 weeks isn't bad.

LAUNCHED
I have officially launched the new site, HowToBeTheBestOnline.com. Its focus is to help people develop a new website or improve an existing one.

The areas of primary focus for the site will be on best strategies for website layout, design, navigation and usability (I find a lot of people forget about usability! – Making it easy for your visitors to find what they are looking for) Also covering SEO strategies, Online marketing and e-mail marketing, Testimonials and Copywriting (coming soon)

FIST THINGS FIRST
I am focused on quality content. I will be adding more content on a regular basis. The other important factor is that I guarantee you will not find any pop-ups on the site. That should pretty much speak volumes itself!

As an example of content, the first article was posted earlier about creating great landing pages.

SEARCH ENGINES
I don’t expect a lot from the search engines as it is a brand new domain. It will probably be between 6-8 months until it starts to appear in SERPs, but that’s fine.

To start, I used my Google Webmaster Account and ‘added the site’ to my list. In order to verify the site, I used the META description option. Google provided a line of code to enter in the <head> section of the page. After uploading the revised page, I simply clicked the ‘confirm’ button. The site was confirmed instantly.

There are other options that can be used if the meta tag is not convenient. You can also upload a page that google provides to the ‘root’ directory for your site.

Once that was complete, I checked google with the ‘site:domainname.com’ search the next day. Google has indexed the entire site. Although at the start, it’s not totally accurate (because it indexes ‘tell a friend’ pages that are actually dynamic pages) but from experience, I know that will settle down over time.

YAHOO – BING
Since being indexed in Google, other search engines have picked up the site as well. Just to prove that submitting to search engines is a waste of time (and worse, a waste of money if you pay to have it done)

PRIMARY FOCUS
At the time of writing, the site does not sell anything. My entire focus is on generating a list of people that I can help with a wide variety of information.

To do that, I am using what the industry calls 'Lead Generation Magnets'. That is just another name for something to give away to people who are interested in what I am doing. To do that, I am giving away 2 eBooks that I have authored; “SEO-PRO! The Black Belt Tactics SEO Pros Live By!” And ‘Turn your Website into a Selling Machine!” Not to sound cliché-ish, I have to say… But wait! Yes.. there are more freebies (if you recall, I said in earlier posts that I was utilizing an ‘over-deliver’ strategy here) I am also offering over 30 Website Improvement Workbooks. Starting from what you should do first and covering everything else from Setting up your home page, Flash animation, Deadly Sins, Writing Content, Squeeze Pages, E-Mail Marketing and general Online Marketing strategies, there promises to be something for everyone.

Other bonuses include the complete Page Peel (sometimes called ‘Corner Peel’ details) which lets you add a page peel to any website.

Additionally, I am offering 90 days UNLIMITED e-mail support to subscribers! Yes, you read that correctly. You will get my personal e-mail address to ask for help with any issues of your website. It’s all free.

To grab all these freebies, simply visit my subscription page

SQUEEZE PAGE:
Currently, I do not operate a separate 'Squeeze Page'. That's really because search engines don't index them (lack of content) and the site is more about the content (that will be added over the next 30 days). Although the subscription page 'acts' like a squeeze page, it's really not the same.

Typically, I will use a squeeze page as a link when submitting articles to directories. That will start after I get the site content going. I still have to add categories for the other content.

OTHER IMPORTANT ISSUES:
Like any online business, it’s important that your visitors know who you are and that they can trust you. That meant I had to create an ‘About’ page; Also the ‘Guarantee’ page, even though there is nothing for sale at this time; and a page of ‘What People are Saying’, which includes testimonials.

All of those pages are available through links on the site, so I am not going to post individual links here.

I will detail a little more on my keywords in the next post. Question? Don’t be shy!

As always, I hope this helps! Good luck with your website!

Last edited by BeTheBest; 8th September 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 26th September 2012, 04:56 PM   #19
HireLogoDesign

spider I'm with you. I create all code in notepad now and allow a CMS to do the organization.

I'm not sure about this whole post. Curious to see where you take it. Is this a sales pitch? Some information I simply don't agree with.

Old 23rd October 2013, 08:46 AM   #20
VishalBhatt123

Now, you not update your post because we eagerly wait your post updation. From that we get your experience for developing better site and we design best site for our.
Thanks for sharing your valuable ides..... Keep post some information for us....