Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2011, 07:42 AM   #11
Spradle

Magento, i think it has the most versatility.

Old 10th February 2011, 08:51 AM   #12
BSI

Thumbs up Wordpress

For my sites I use wordpress, wordpress themes, and plugins. With this a lot of custom changes you can do yourself depending on the theme you choose. There are free themes, premium themes (ones you pay for) and then you can have custom ones developed for you. I use both free and premium themes. If your willing to learn a little php and tinker with editing the php files in a theme you can customize it yourself even if the theme does not offer a GUI to make these custom changes. Most premium themes have easier ways of making these custom changes than do free themes. Also, I like it because I can use wordpress for a static website as well as a blog. This way I can use it for both without having to develop a website and a blog.

BSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 04:55 PM   #13
gregdbowen

I would look into Wordpress. It is the clear leader in CMS, and has millions of user and plugins. It is really easy to set up, and has a plugin for just about anything. Get a good theme and you have a stable website that you can rely on. You will probably need someone to tweak the graphics, but you can edit pages, post to the blog and tweak your menu all from a web based interface.

gregdbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 08:46 PM   #14
mbreezy

Notepad & Wordpad. I make a change, ctrl+s to save, upload via FTP, refresh the page to see the changes. If I don't like it, I do it again.

Hot keys and repetitiveness actually made this very efficient for me.

mbreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 03:57 AM   #15
rakesh

Send a message via Skype™ to rakesh
Default The big picture

Have been going through, some very interesting replies to this question. Have seen answers ranging from notepad, dreamviewer, ruby on rails, magento and so on.

There are softwares and there are tools. While notepad, dreamviewer, editplus are tools, html, php, mysql, ruby, magento and so on are softwares.

Here is an example

Lets say you are into the business of selling paper and you want to build a website that gives information to the users. You will have pages such as home page, contact us, about us, prices and so on. Here user can only read and do nothing else. For this the only software you will use is html and the tool to build this html will be either notepad, dreamviewer and so on.

Next say you want to display a form where interested users can fill in their details and it will be emailed to you. Also you want to provide an utility where users can select quality of paper, color and quantity. On selection they will be shown the price for their selections. To achieve this you will need php in addition to html. Here you can again use notepad or dreamviewer or go for specialized IDE (Integrated development environment) like eclipse or aptana.

Next, you want to sell your paper online. Here you will need a shopping cart or e-commerce software. It can be magento, oscommerce, zen-cart, virtue mart or any of the several others available.

Finally, if your content is likely to change frequently ie. the number and type of pages vary then you should go for a content management system like joomla, drupal, wordpress and so on. Though I personally feel Joomla is the best.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rakesh

rakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 01:31 AM   #16
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

I think that using of some sound software in web site developing is not necessary. As for me the main features of any site are its structure and 'light' design. So all of this can be reached in the very beginning of site creation, for example due to Dreamweaver or even free themes by Joomla and Wordpress.

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 12:07 PM   #17
cyberjunkie

Hello

If you don't have much web design experience, then the Wordpress CMS is one of the easiest and quickest to learn. You can put a professional website together in a very short time. Even experienced web designers often use wordpress.
1) There is a very large wordpress community online that are very willing to offer advice and support. There are also endless tutorials and help pages.
2) There are thousands and thousands of free & paid themes to suit your needs.
3) There are plenty of plugins for all sorts of functions
4) Wordpress is Search engine friendly (SEO plugins, automatic pingomatic, etc.)
5) You can make changes to your site or add new content, click update, and your website shows the changes.
6) Once you learn a little html and CSS, then you can customise nearly anything.
7) Wordpress is free (your costs: domain name and hosting, paid themes if you so wish)
8) You can do a website with static pages and a blog.
9) You can easily create password protected pages.
10) Is a powerful social tool (there are over 250 plugins that you can use to add social functions to your website).
...and many more. With wordpress, the only limits are your imagination.

With wordpress you can design your pages without using html, notepad, or dreamweaver. There are plugins that makes it very easy to install contact forms. It is easy to add shopping carts to your site and to take payments from your site. Paypal is great for taking payments. etc...

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 12th April 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: want to add signature
cyberjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 09:39 AM   #18
computerfoxdesn

notepad, text editor, or at most dreamweaver.

I hate generators or visual-based programs because it kindda takes out the purpose of my job as a web developer if I have a program doing it. Yes, I do hard coding and I'm very good at it

PS-Not to mention, since the generators and other programs are "automatic" when trying to validate them, they fail and if they don't validate, Google will have trouble crawling that page for links and other useful text.

computerfoxdesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 10:58 AM   #19
steveblake

I've been using Dreamweaver it helps a lo it make your work much easier and enjoyable. You just set up the out come of your website and the software it self will generate the codes.

steveblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 01:36 PM   #20
CodyLoco

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Joomla?! I build almost all my sites with joomla, to me it has more flexibility than WP in terms of content handling but then again I haven't honestly worked much with WP other than for my own personal blog...

CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote