Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th December 2010, 07:33 PM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Default Software To Use In Developing Website?

What do you guys use to build/develop your website?

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:47 AM   #2
zomex

Hello,

When I was on Windows I used Notepad++ and since moved to Mac I've been missing it greatly and now use Dreamweaver.

There's many different options available. If you're using for software let us know your situation and I'm sure we'll be able to recommend something that suits your needs.

Jack

zomex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 10:57 AM   #3
feshusband

Default Dreamweaver

We primarily use Dreamweaver

feshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Jax4fun

I use SBI! although they are more than a website builder. They work to help build the site from a business perspective. So it would include- brainstorming, keywords, how to organize your page for seo and visitors, newsletters and rss feeds, a helpful forum, how to monetize your site, and more.

It may be more than your looking for, but it's a great company. Check out my inspirational quotes website to see what a basic site looks like and how it functions.

Old 14th December 2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Timothy Scotch

We use Visual studio in conjunction with Umbraco CMS, and 960grid system for pretty much all our sites.

In the past I have used UltraEdit for PHP based stuff which I think is pretty good. Aptana is another one to look at that I think is probably going places.

We do everything by hand, as its the quickest best way to write clean code, haven't used Dreamweaver for about 10 years.

What you use depends on what kind of site you are developing, along with your knowledge and skills, there is not enough information in the original post to provide any useful response unfortunately.

Old 17th December 2010, 01:00 AM   #6
ezyebusiness

I have for a number of years used 'Dreamweaver' but for the past 3 years have been using JOOMLA Content management system.

ezyebusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 04:58 PM   #7
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Which software is user-friendly?

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 07:38 PM   #8
habeeb24

Hi,

I use Joomla CMS tool for developing my websites and i'm successful with Joomla. I believe Joomla is the best and more user friendly software to develop websites.

habeeb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:30 AM   #9
robertl

We use Ruby on Rails 3.0, Node.js, CSS, MySQL, MongoDB, and stuff like that. Do all our hosting on Heroku now. Incredible cloud hosting service it is.

robertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:33 AM   #10
robertl

Depends on how good your user skills are. I think Ruby on Rails 3.0 is one of the easier development frameworks to figure out but the big thing is that it's all written in Ruby and ruby is 100% object oriented. What that means is all the objects and classes are reusable and when you reuse them in your applications they tend to work in a reliable manner.

robertl is offline   Reply With Quote