Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th August 2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Kkmedia

Default Disposable Coffee Cup Advertising

Hello, I would like to start a business that sells ad space on disposable paper coffee cups. I would offer these cups to smaller cafe's around the city for free, saving them money and giving me the coverage I need to sell ad space to larger companies who would run month long campaigns (ideally).
I am currently looking for manufacturers.
What do you think about this idea?

Kkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hey! I really like it! I always thought similar ideas (like desk top appointment pads with ads around the edge) and other things like this have great potential.

Here's where I see a problem. I decide to buy into your program. How many locations will use them?? That would be important to me. If you're going to have my cups at 3 cafe's, I can do better by hiring a kid with a colored clown wig and a sign. If you're going to put it in 50 locations... then I am in. Matter of fact... I may even want to be in right now! We can talk about that.

Then there is the issue of 'how long'. Some places will use them a lot and go thru (let's say 1,000 cups) in a week. Other places may not use 100 cups in a week.

I can see the benefit. Also, will the coffee shops use YOUR cups?? Because they only cost (and I am guessing....) a couple of cents each, they really are not a huge expense. So you're going to save them $20.00 a week to promote your ads?? Not sure if that's going to fly.

The biggest problem you have is playing the matchmaker. Get the right company with ad spots on the cups at stores that want to use them.

Hope this helps! Post back and let me know how this goes. I am really curious because I think you've got something.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 08:33 PM   #3
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

I like your idea. The key will be to get critical mass to sign up. There is somewhat similar concept to yours call coffee menu I believe they have a franchise too, at least in Michigan. They produce a 3-4 page newsletter with interesting articles, fun trivia, etc. they provide to small businesses to put in the waiting area for the customers. The newsletter is provided free of charge to the shops. They make money by selling ad space against it. You might want to check it out.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
There is somewhat similar concept to yours call coffee menu
Now that's an even better idea. It could start small and grow as needed. I also like the idea where you handle many smaller clients. That way you're not hanging on to that 'one big one' that can make or break you.

Hmmm... now you're starting to make me think about stuff like this! Ha!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 10:57 AM   #5
KennethLee

Just wanted to share something from the Singaporean advertiser's perspective. It may or may not be applicable to where you are.

Down here we have dozens of these so called 'peripheral' ad spaces, e.g. table tops, tissue packs, even straws.

The 2 biggest challenges in getting brands here to advertise would be 1) Ad size, i.e. you can't say very much on a coffee cup 2) Association with a medium like a coffee cup, not very sexy.

I suppose you guys have a very different ad environment / culture over there, but just thought it'd be interesting to compare.

KennethLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 12:12 AM   #6
NVISIONtradesho

I like the idea as well. It is like connectivision but for coffee shops. Connectivision gives the doctor a free 32" tv, but they display their ads on it as well as 10 minutes per hour of your own content.

If you could find someone coffee shops trust (abc company) and have them say we will give you free coffee cups through your company as an extra benefit to being a customer of (abc company). This way you can piggyback off their connections but gain more exposure quicker.

NVISIONtradesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 01:34 AM   #7
ossgraphics

Idea is utterly fantastic. The first and foremost advantage of using coffee cups advertising is that it is cost effective. You can easily capture your targeted market through such sort of advertising.

ossgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote