Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th October 2006, 11:30 AM   #1
willscott

Send a message via AIM to willscott Send a message via MSN to willscott Send a message via Skype™ to willscott
Lightbulb Sites For Free Online Advertising - Help Me Help You

This is a call to arms for the cheapskate, the spendthrift, the miser...
the online entrepreneur.
In another thread started by Johnny Lew, we've been talking about some very low-cost website promotion ideas and Chris Logan came up with the idea to build a list of criteria for what are 'okay' sites on which to advertise.

From that, we give you: the Top Ten Sites for Free Online Advertising -- Plus: The Top Ten Criteria for Judging All the Others

Please, pitch in with your recommendations!

Let's try to assemble a monster list (top 10 be darned) and then pare it down to something reasonable.

The two topics are:
  • "Top 10 Sites for Free Online Advertising"
  • "The Top Ten Criteria for Judging All the Others"

I'll kick it off with:
Sites:
  • ezinearticles.com
  • craigslist.org
  • DMOZ (yes, yes, I know - too slow)
  • Google Base
Criteria:
  • Links don't include rel="nofollow"
  • no email spamming
  • a *reasonable* level of advertising

And the bonus -- Local, Local, Local:
Finally, I realize my recommendations above may be a little weak - I'm sure some of you guys have WAY more knowledge in this arena.

And to that I say: "Bring on the cage match". Let's get a little contentious here -- all in good fun of course, but -- be opinionated, tell me my ideas are doo doo. I don't care, and neither should any of you.

Just give your best ideas, let's fight about it and at the end of the day we'll have a truly authoritative list. Don't worry if you don't think you know enough to post, the point is to throw all the ideas on the table - you may know of one we don't - and compile the best as a resource.

Speaking of the end of the day - let's call this a done deal in 1 week.

On Friday October 20th I will give the first hour of my day to compiling the list into one master post compiling the best-of-the-best right here.

Come one - this'll be cool.

Last edited by willscott; 13th October 2006 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Rethought the title and a couple points.
willscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th October 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
mktgbiz

I jumped over here to discover all of the secrets......

Funny thing is - I don't know of any free resources either. Outside of posting in forums......

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 04:14 AM   #3
mbm

What about:
  • digg.com
  • del.icio.us

Old 15th October 2006, 10:33 AM   #4
hawkins217

Exclamation Two Free Hot and Low-Cost Sources

I love reading about free and low cost advertising strategies! Since most of us don't have the budgets of the big guys, we need this!

1. Every one with a business should get involved with Direct Matches. I'm sure you have heard of MySpace, the social network that has a huge 40+ million members. Well, Direct Matches builds on that idea but gears it for the professional and network marketing audience. Direct Matches is a free to join network where you can create a profile, network with your primary prospect group, and advertise your business.

Direct Matches is the first online business and social networking industrythat is using a mulit-matching system that helps you locate everything from business contacts to network marketing professionals. It is the first business and social networking service with a contact managment system that operates on a dynamic basis, where you as a member are able to select from dedicated networking communicities.

Now, with Direct Matches, you just can't go to site and sign up. It is by personal invitation only. To get the most out of the site, you will want to get at least a "Managing IR" membership ($19.95) to be able to get the most out of your membership.

In future posts, I will share with you how to get the most out of Direct Matches. It truly is an incredible and low cost way to advertise your business as well as make business contacts, get joint venture partners, etc.

2. Freeadboard.com/ I happened to stumble across this one last week. It is totally free, and you don't have to register. You just go to the site and place your ad. Just make sure that you respond to the confirmation email after you place your ad.

I hope this helps!

hawkins217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 12:08 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

An article here - Guide to free advertising

Old 25th October 2006, 10:02 AM   #6
willscott

Send a message via AIM to willscott Send a message via MSN to willscott Send a message via Skype™ to willscott
Default Listifieds & MySpace

I just read about this new free classifieds site on Greg Sterling's blog.

It is super easy, I took about 3 minutes and listed a dresser I'm trying to get rid of.

And better still, it has search engine friendly URLs and page titles!

This one definitely makes the list of free advertising sites.

Another interesting post on Greg's blog has to do with small businesses moving their web sites exclusively to MySpace.

So, two new additions to the "Free Advertising Sites":
I'm deferring my offer to consolidate these into an authoritative list until we can get a little more participation.

But, once we have a good list going I'm happy to clean it up.

Old 25th October 2006, 10:12 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Yeah, not too overwhelmed with an onslaught of free advertising yet ... plenty of room to add on. I think it is a great idea, and I am working myself on compiling a good list. i'll definitely share as I have more.

Here are some directories that have free routes. These aren't ideal, as often they are overwhelmed. But they are free options. In particular, I have had good success contacting about.com guides about new sites and having them included. Others like gimpsy, have a free route. Their usually overwhelmed though so it can be a slow process. With gimpsy, they actually open it up periodically to let more in the queue. Others like dmoz, where there are volunteer editors, the best solution seems to find categories with 'active' editors. submit it. then forget it and move on.

about.com
dmoz.org
gimpsy.com (currently limited)
goguides.org
joeant.com
skaffe.com
sporge.com
web-beacon.com
websavvy.com
wowdirectory.com

Non Commercial
teamskaffe.com
yahoo.com
zeal.com

Old 25th October 2006, 10:16 AM   #8
willscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
the best solution seems to find categories with 'active' editors. submit it. then forget it and move on
Off-topic: How can you tell if a category has an 'active' editor?