Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd February 2008, 09:48 PM   #11
SmallMerchant

Send a message via AIM to SmallMerchant
Default Links from blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Does a link from a blog, or forums increase, or decrease your site rank the same way a link to another site does? For example this thread that I'm posting on right now has a page rank of 0 so would it hurt my site if I linked to it here? Also if I posted it with bad grammer and spelling would it be discredited?
Hello, links from blogs and forums can definitely help your site. What's most important about a link from another site is that the site has something to do with your website... i.e industry or content. For example, if you were running a furniture site, a link from some type of furniture association site would be worth more than a link from a site having to do with SEO.

I don't know for sure that a post would be discredited for bad grammar or spelling, but the words surrounding a link are important, so it's best they have something to do with the page they are linking too, and yes, I suppose if you used the king's english that would be a plus.

Nick

Old 2nd February 2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Gary Luckner

Default Seo

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. Doing it is very time consuming. Most of the search engines recognize how many links are out there that link to your site. You can add your website to directories, write blogs, and ask similar sites to link to you. I would probably start out by reading a book on seo before you get started

Gary Luckner

Gary Luckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 12:26 AM   #13
solid28
VIP Contributor

Smile

Before we talk about the details of SEO, lets talk about search engines and searchers for a moment.

When people use a search engine, they are actively seeking some sort of information or product.

Lets suppose a searcher types "buy software to learn chinese" into google. Since they are typing in that phrase, you can be pretty sure that they are looking for a site that is selling software for learning Chinese. They probably have their credit card ready and are really excited to learn Chinese.

If you happen to sell software for learning Chinese, then it would be really cool to be have searchers "who want to buy your software" find you site that "sells software for learning chinese".

So, SEO's goal is matching searchers desires, with what your site offers.

So how does your website rank high in google or yahoo for a phrase like that? Well that is where SEO tactics comes in.

SEO tactics are basically doing 'things' on internet webpages (both your own, and other webistes) that will help your site come up higher for terms like "buy software for learning chinese"

You can do things like write the words "buy software for learning Chinese" on your webpage. Check out www.seomoz.org and look for 'beginner SEO article'.

And one tip if you choose to learn more about SEO. If a site is strongly pushing this thing called "keyword density" as a part of SEO, I recommend moving to another resource.

Best of luck,
Evan Jerkunica

Last edited by solid28; 3rd February 2008 at 12:30 AM.
solid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 01:05 AM   #14
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Does a link from a blog, or forums increase, or decrease your site rank the same way a link to another site does?
Links from other pages will almost never hurt your page. This is because the search engines have lots of smart people working for them -- smart enough to figure out you can't control who links to you. They're not inclined to downgrade your pages because of things outside your control.

If links pointing to your page could downgrade your rank, it would be trivially easy for your competitors to knock you out of the search results, just by linking a bunch of low-value pages to yours (spammy "free directories", low-value splogs, etc.)

The search engines are not about to make it that easy for competitors to manipulate their rankings.

On the other hand, the links you place on your pages pointing out to other pages can indeed "hurt." This is because you have control (or at least, you should have control) over who you link to and how you code those links.

Experienced SEOs don't worry about what the toolbar PR display number is. That infrequently-updated and inaccurate display is not the real PR that Google uses in rankings. And they know even "real" PR is only one of between 100 and 200 factors Google employs in determining rankings -- so the PR we mere mortals can see should not be the sole (or even a major) criteria in determining who to link out to, or who to seek out links from.

Link out to pages that are truly useful to your site visitors. Link out to pages you'd be proud to recommend to someone if they were standing right there in person in front of you. Actively seek out links from reputable pages that seem to have a probability of sending targeted traffic to your site, and don't sweat the rest.

Use those sorts of things as your criteria (not the bogus toolbar PR number) and you can't go wrong.

My

--Torka

Old 3rd February 2008, 03:50 PM   #15
MrMagoo

Quote:
Does a link from a blog, or forums increase, or decrease your site rank the same way a link to another site does? For example this thread that I'm posting on right now has a page rank of 0 so would it hurt my site if I linked to it here?
You should focus less on the page rank of a site which you link to and more about the relevancy of the content to which you link...

The actual page rank of the site you link to is not going to hurt your site. Other factors could.

If the page rank of the site you linked would adversely effect your own site the internet would quickly become an elitist movement. No newsworthy authorities would even consider linking to a small business owner if it would mean their own empire would crash as a result...

There are however bad neighborhoods ( paid link networks recently )which can hurt your own site if you affiliate yourself with them and the relevancy of the website in relation to yours will be the indicator. Not page rank. Page rank is not a live statistic currently. It is updated quarterly at the moment... approximately...

To jump back on topic... seo ( besides a few minor technical details ) boils down to common sense... nothing more... the second you start to believe that a search engine is stupid... is the second you'll start wasting your time...

Last edited by MrMagoo; 3rd February 2008 at 03:56 PM.
MrMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 01:36 AM   #16
Baselux

Quote:
Does a link from a blog, or forums increase, or decrease your site rank the same way a link to another site does? For example this thread that I'm posting on right now has a page rank of 0 so would it hurt my site if I linked to it here? Also if I posted it with bad grammer and spelling would it be discredited?
Yes links from blog and forums helps, specially if topics are related to your site. Also even the site has PR 0 as long as it's related it would definitely help. All one way links help you just can't control other bad sites to link to your site but it won't hurt you as long as you don't link back to them.

Baselux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 12:40 PM   #17
loose_gown

Send a message via MSN to loose_gown Send a message via Yahoo to loose_gown Send a message via Skype™ to loose_gown
Default hi

I started Search Engine Optimization by reading the Search Engine Optimization for Dummies book and it had lots of things to tell me about how to start but I don't think there are updated versions of that book these days

loose_gown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 04:51 AM   #18
solid28
VIP Contributor

http://www.work.com/learning-search-...mization-1053/

Old 25th February 2008, 11:22 AM   #19
rick22

Here is what winkipedia says about SEO.....

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via "natural" ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results for targeted keywords. Usually, the earlier a site is presented in the search results, or the higher it "ranks", the more searchers will visit that site. SEO can also target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, and industry-specific vertical search engines.

As a marketing strategy for increasing a site's relevance, SEO considers how search algorithms work and what people search for. SEO efforts may involve a site's coding, presentation, and structure, as well as fixing problems that could prevent search engine indexing programs from fully spidering a site. Other, more noticeable efforts may include adding unique content to a site, ensuring that content is easily indexed by search engine robots, and making the site more appealing to users. Another class of techniques, known as black hat SEO or spamdexing, use methods such as link farms and keyword stuffing that tend to harm search engine user experience. Search engines look for sites that employ these techniques and may remove them from their indexes.

The initialism "SEO" can also refer to "search engine optimizers", a term adopted by an industry of consultants who carry out optimization projects on behalf of clients, and by employees who perform SEO services in-house. Search engine optimizers may offer SEO as a stand-alone service or as a part of a broader marketing campaign. Because effective SEO may require changes to the HTML source code of a site, SEO tactics may be incorporated into web site development and design. The term "search engine friendly" may be used to describe web site designs, menus, content management systems and shopping carts that are easy to optimize.

rick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:23 AM   #20
rick22

Default Seo -meaning

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via "natural" ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results for targeted keywords. Usually, the earlier a site is presented in the search results, or the higher it "ranks", the more searchers will visit that site. SEO can also target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, and industry-specific vertical search engines.

As a marketing strategy for increasing a site's relevance, SEO considers how search algorithms work and what people search for. SEO efforts may involve a site's coding, presentation, and structure, as well as fixing problems that could prevent search engine indexing programs from fully spidering a site. Other, more noticeable efforts may include adding unique content to a site, ensuring that content is easily indexed by search engine robots, and making the site more appealing to users. Another class of techniques, known as black hat SEO or spamdexing, use methods such as link farms and keyword stuffing that tend to harm search engine user experience. Search engines look for sites that employ these techniques and may remove them from their indexes.

The initialism "SEO" can also refer to "search engine optimizers", a term adopted by an industry of consultants who carry out optimization projects on behalf of clients, and by employees who perform SEO services in-house. Search engine optimizers may offer SEO as a stand-alone service or as a part of a broader marketing campaign. Because effective SEO may require changes to the HTML source code of a site, SEO tactics may be incorporated into web site development and design. The term "search engine friendly" may be used to describe web site designs, menus, content management systems and shopping carts that are easy to optimize.

rick22 is offline   Reply With Quote