Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th November 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
GlenShevlin

Default Redoing Website

Hi Guys after lurking around and reading then threads we are going to begin the rebuilding of our website.

I have the optimization and behind the monitor bits sorted out but I need a human relations answer.

What do you as a consumer look for on a website. We sell wedding invitations and personalized stationery. Having looked in the mirror I realized teh human reation part was not in my makeup so I am asking for some input from out there.

Thanks for any help that you can provide

GlenShevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th November 2009, 04:38 PM   #2
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Personally, when I purchase an item online I am most concerned about the company's authenticity. I pay close attention to the security surrounding the purchase, the privacy policy, return policy, guarantee, and the level of the contact information and support. Reviews are always a plus.

Old 18th November 2009, 12:06 AM   #3
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

Congrats Glen! Good to see you moving forward.

One of the things I think you'll want to focus on from the consumer end is good pictures that show details (and with that good copy to point out those details)...brides tend to be a little OCD about tons of little piddly details that no one else notices.

Old 18th November 2009, 08:31 AM   #4
GlenShevlin

brides ... piddly little details....

Actually the brides have got NOTHING compared to the mothers of the bride

GlenShevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 01:12 AM   #5
stephen186

See I look for one thing on any ecommerce store. Its the way the product has been presented. I believe rather than flashy websites, it should be flashy products. I hope you got what i meant by 'Flashy'...

stephen186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 11:02 PM   #6
rfresh

Be sure and post your PCI DSS Certification seal...you need that along with SSL capability...buyers need to *know* that you are handling their credit card information in accordance with the PCI DSS guidelines...

rfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 02:47 PM   #7
DebraE

Things to show your authenticity is really important, and if you can get testimonials from previous customers and put some on your home page that would be good.
I webpages should not be too cluttered and have a basic light colour as a background, if there is too much to look at your products could get overshadowed.
One thing I found out was the size font you use is important, don't use anything less than size 16.
Make sure it is easy to navigate through your site with simple buttons and links.
Hope you find this useful

DebraE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 04:53 AM   #8
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I think everyone has answered and covered all your bases there. I look for good images a good return policy, the payment methods accepted and their terms

Bad connections when paying puts me off and leaves me hot footing it back to Google to find another website

We built a wedding flower website last year and focused on images and light colours with pinks and purples, the client has many compliments on the look and feel of the website, brides appear to like some sexyness with high quality images for them to look at - we added a photo gallery so our client could show case her flowers from every wedding she does, this went down well and her clients comment and rate her images now

Best of luck with your website