Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th December 2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Tacoma750

Default Im 18 And Looking To Start A Real Snow Plow Business...HELP

Hello all. Im 18 and im looking to start my own business. I plan on starting school this coming September, I wil be going to get a degree in Business. I have always thought about what I would like to do and after a lot of thinking I have decided on something. Its really only for the winter though but here goes. Snow Removale. I have always been into the outdoors and trucks. I love snow but hate shoveling it (everybody does) I thought it would be a really good business to start out with being so young. Its small and isnt year round. This gives you the "off-season" to fix the problems with the business as well as ADVERTISE! I would focus more on small commercial lots such as gas stations and Banks. As for getting my name out there I would buy a HUGE truck and get my company name on the side. Also get really nice business cards and maybe even brochures. IM good friends with a gas station owner and im sure he would help get my name out there aswell. If this is something you think i can accomplish please give me helpful advice.

Tacoma750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th December 2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

consider home owner associations. the one where i live contracts out the entire neighborhoods driveways to one guy/company when 4" or more. If individuals want more frequent, they can receive and then are billed thru the HOA.

Old 14th December 2006, 11:33 PM   #3
jvance
VIP Contributor

Property managers are another good bet. There are also a lot of commercial real estate agents that are landlords.

With most contracts, there is a bit of "shovel" work, as the sidewalks need to be cleared as well, or at least the clean up from the blade work on the truck / bob cat.

In the contract, you may also want to offer gravel spreading services for when it gets icy.

In really heavy winters, referrals go crazy. You can literally be clearing one parking lot, and have people walk up to you for business cards for their properties etc...

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 08:52 AM   #4
pete
VIP Contributor

When things are really rough, it's a "license to steal". And I'm sure it's hard to turn down a couple of quick cash deals and let your contract folks wait "just a few more minutes", but you've got to take care of those who take care of you - your contracts.

There is no way you will make a living just pushing snow. It's a good business for people in the lawn care business, parking lot sweepers and tow truck guys. Possibly others with seasonal businesses or trucks sitting idle when it snows. (Yeah, a lot of tow truck guys pull them off the roads when it's really bad. Except for real emergency type calls.)

And like any other business, you need to do some research. Talk to the gas station guys, the apartment management folks, shopping centers, etc. And remember, they've been getting along without you, so you need a sales pitch to convince them to leave the supposedly reliable provider they now have and trust an unproven "kid".

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 03:40 PM   #5
colemg01

If you have not already I would go visit plowsite.com it is a good forum with people in this type of business.

Remember if you treat people fairly, are reliable and do quality work you will be very successful.

Good luck!

colemg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 03:48 PM   #6
mapbooks4u
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma750 View Post
Hello all. Im 18 and im looking to start my own business. I plan on starting school this coming September, I wil be going to get a degree in Business. I have always thought about what I would like to do and after a lot of thinking I have decided on something. Its really only for the winter though but here goes. Snow Removale. I have always been into the outdoors and trucks. I love snow but hate shoveling it (everybody does) I thought it would be a really good business to start out with being so young. Its small and isnt year round. This gives you the "off-season" to fix the problems with the business as well as ADVERTISE! I would focus more on small commercial lots such as gas stations and Banks. As for getting my name out there I would buy a HUGE truck and get my company name on the side. Also get really nice business cards and maybe even brochures. IM good friends with a gas station owner and im sure he would help get my name out there aswell. If this is something you think i can accomplish please give me helpful advice.
Hi Tacoma750!

My sister lives in Tacoma too. Beautiful state you live in for sure.

In the "off season" may I suggest you do commercial vacuuming of those same lots....once you can afford to invest in one of those little trucks with the built on units. Snow removal during the winter and vacuuming the filth up from those same business parking lots and gas stations during the other three seasons. In California it is a honest and profitable business that is done in the wee hours. It shouldn' t interfere with your schooling and it is not labor intensive. You may also consider "teaming" with an established vacuum business and "helping" one another out through each others' off season.

(By the way....I did snow removal in Ohio....by shovel....for two years, and assembly piece work the rest of the year while I finished high school....back in the day. It kept me from becoming homeless.)

Do the best job possible as a service oriented business is a business that will succeed with honest effort, hard work, and a wonderful reputation. Be fair and friendly too! I wish you the greatest success in the new year!

Diana