Been there, done that. Alas, if it were only that simple!
There are several problems with what you're proposing.
1. You have to find products that will actually sell. As you mentioned, your eBay listings haven't produced much, so you've experienced the first leg of the problem.
2. There are other auction sites, so you could try those. But they're going to have less traffic than eBay, making sales more difficult. However, I believe you can acquire reasonable fees.
3. Then, in order to make steady money, you have to have an unending supply of merchandise. That requires lots of legwork to keep that end of things going.
Okay that's just the eBay end of things. Let's take a look at the website end.
1. You have to know how to build a site or install the software to what you want to do. If you know how to do this, you're a step ahead.
2. Just putting a website up, will not get you traffic or business. Add to the problem of acquiring merchandise, the problem of acquiring visitors. You're going to be manually driving all areas of your business which will become tiring after awhile.
3. Even if you did manage to do all that, it doesn't mean people will buy what you're selling. If it's not something they need or want, they'll bounce right back out.
Now. After having said all that, there is a better way to go about this.
1. Choose a product that is in demand. You find this by doing the proper research up front.
2. Build a website around or pertaining to that product. Create high-quality content that visitors love and you will get free search engine traffic. Do it right and do it enough and that traffic will grow on its own over time. You may even find yourself at the top of search engine results for your topic.
3. Then, after your traffic is building, you can start monetizing. Use the traffic from your site, to drive to your auction store and vice versa. Offer other products to diversify your monetization portfolio so you can start earning income off your work. But keep building and don't stop.
4. Become a leader in information, content and products pertaining to your niche. Earn income from your site's information, from the products you offer on your site and in your store and from online advertising and more. With high-quality content and diversified monetization plan, you will find yourself with an online business that grows effortlessly down the road, and brings you income streams for a very long time.