Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > eBay & Other Auctions & Marketplaces
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd March 2011, 09:39 AM   #1
bgworkaholic

Default Selling Online

Hey guys. I've proposed my business idea before of having a thrift shop. I like to buy and sell things for profit. (go to auctions, thrift stores, garage sales, sawp meets etc.) But I want to develop an online store for my merchandise first and establish the online part of the business to get my inventory out there to sell. Ebay auctions are Ebay auctions. They all get a percentage and whack you for insertion fees. craigslist is free and I have listed some items there, but no luck in sales yet. I've done research on developing an online store but every option seems like I would have to sell the products they have rather than my own inventory. Any suggestions? Would building a cheap website and installing shopping cart option and pay pal payment method work? Any help would be great. Thanks all.

bgworkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th March 2011, 02:31 PM   #2
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Hi bgworkaholic!

Been there, done that. Alas, if it were only that simple!

There are several problems with what you're proposing.

1. You have to find products that will actually sell. As you mentioned, your eBay listings haven't produced much, so you've experienced the first leg of the problem.

2. There are other auction sites, so you could try those. But they're going to have less traffic than eBay, making sales more difficult. However, I believe you can acquire reasonable fees.

3. Then, in order to make steady money, you have to have an unending supply of merchandise. That requires lots of legwork to keep that end of things going.

Okay that's just the eBay end of things. Let's take a look at the website end.

1. You have to know how to build a site or install the software to what you want to do. If you know how to do this, you're a step ahead.

2. Just putting a website up, will not get you traffic or business. Add to the problem of acquiring merchandise, the problem of acquiring visitors. You're going to be manually driving all areas of your business which will become tiring after awhile.

3. Even if you did manage to do all that, it doesn't mean people will buy what you're selling. If it's not something they need or want, they'll bounce right back out.

-------------------
Now. After having said all that, there is a better way to go about this.

1. Choose a product that is in demand. You find this by doing the proper research up front.

2. Build a website around or pertaining to that product. Create high-quality content that visitors love and you will get free search engine traffic. Do it right and do it enough and that traffic will grow on its own over time. You may even find yourself at the top of search engine results for your topic.

3. Then, after your traffic is building, you can start monetizing. Use the traffic from your site, to drive to your auction store and vice versa. Offer other products to diversify your monetization portfolio so you can start earning income off your work. But keep building and don't stop.

4. Become a leader in information, content and products pertaining to your niche. Earn income from your site's information, from the products you offer on your site and in your store and from online advertising and more. With high-quality content and diversified monetization plan, you will find yourself with an online business that grows effortlessly down the road, and brings you income streams for a very long time.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
adamvaldez

Default hi

Totally agreed with DeniseTaylor. you need to focus on four P's. If you are trying to sell online using your own website than the first thing you need is SEO and Back Linking. How will ppl come to know that what stuff u r selling? SEO is must....

adamvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote