Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > New Member Introductions
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th October 2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Abbs

Question Start-Up Guide To SEO

Hi,

I'm new to e-marketing, and SEO sounds like a foreign language to me. I have no clue where to start from, and it's quite difficult to get any relevant info. I'm very keen on getting into e-marketing, especially SEO and PPC.

Will really aprreciate if anyone could help me out here, please, pretty please.........

Where do I start from???

P.S. Any advice will be highly appreciated.....

Kind Regards.
Abbs

Abbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th October 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Welcome aboard

I recommend purchasing the small business guide to search engine marketing. While it does cost a few dollars, in my opinion it is well worth it as it helps you get an understanding of the basics from a trusted/reliable source. With that as a starting point, it is much easier to get a grasp of what is important and what is not.

Of course, feel free to ask any specific questions you have here about seo also and I'm sure you will find plenty of help to answer any questions you have.

Old 17th October 2006, 12:09 PM   #3
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Abbs, I can understand the confusion. It's taken me several years of reading and asking questions to sort through some of the misinformation. One thing I would advise is to not think of seo as being about magic formulas or quick results. SEO is growing more and more inline with traditional offline marketing. The sooner you see it as something more than making changes to a few lines of code or text on your pages the sooner you can start to sort through some of the misinformation.

I haven't read the guide Logan linked to above, but based on other things I've read that Jennifer has written and based on the things she's contributed at this forum and the search engine guide site in general I'd suggest it would be worthwhile to read and will help your understanding of how search optimization and market works.

It can take time, but keep reading and asking questions along the way. Keep in mind seo isn't about quick things and magic formulas. The basic principles are fairly easy to understand as soon as you can see past the quick fix ideas. Much of it comes down to hard work.

Old 17th October 2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
It's taken me several years of reading and asking questions to sort through some of the misinformation.
That's why I think it is worth the one stop price. There is too much to post in a forum to provide all of the basics, and Jen's book addresses this by reviewing in length a lot of the basics that are needed for a good foundation. From there it is a lot easier to sift thru the misinformation. For someone starting, I think it is a no brainer versus working thru the details associated with the typical learning curve

There isn't a lack of information out there. For example, one of the first steps is keyword research. Keyword Discovery is probably the best when it comes to that and they do provide some information about keyword research directly tied to their service.

Keyword Discovery
http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/

Overview
Manual - note integrating keyword here.
Forum
FAQ

Its a consistently changing trade though. For example, if you are in the UK as abbs is - they just released uk secific research within the past month. Something of interest for anyone focused on that market area.

Old 18th October 2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Abbs

Default Thanks for your response

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your response, will look into both your suggestions.
Will keep you updated of how it's going.

Kind Regards,
Abbs

Abbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 11:03 AM   #6
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Logan I hope you know I completely agree with you about the guide. The information is certainly online, but so is the misinformation. When you compare the price of the guide to the price of the time it would take to sort through everything it's an easy decision.

Old 18th October 2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

I know vangogh

Just emphasizing. I went thru the same type of long winded process as you. Its challenging, takes a lot of persistence and most give up. I'm just emphasizing for those that are truly serious and want to belly up and learn this information ... you get what you pay for and there are many excellent resources that are well worth their money if you are willing to pay a little bit.

For example, the WebmasterWorld Supporters forum has a cost but a lot of valuable information. Is it worth it?

Another example, just this week Eric Ward (the grand daddy of link building/publicity) announced a new paid newsletter for $299/year.

The Ward Report
http://www.ericward.com/wardreport.html

Now its new, so I'm not familiar with it. But I am familiar with Eric Ward and think it is a pretty safe bet that the $25 per month cost may well be very worth it. Certainly a better spend versus a text link ad campaign for $25 and many spend hundreds if not thousand+ on montly text link ad fees - which are risky, have pitfalls, and don't 'always' work.

There is the long route, but what route shortens that learning curve more? Is it worth paying and how would you a lot a budget of say $1000 to learning seo. Is that even realistic for some? Perhaps not most... but for those really serious?