Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th March 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
MargSpencer

I agree with this. Logos aren't just supposed to be placed on a signboard but should also be flexible to many other mediums as well. Like your company website, a tshirt, and print ads.

MargSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th April 2012, 03:26 PM   #12
bizmaverick

Default good logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvslaura View Post
A good logo is distinctive, appropriate, practical, graphic, simple in form and conveys an intended message. There are five principles that you should follow to ensure that this is so. An effective logo is :

1. Simple
2. Memorable
3. Timeless
4. Versatile
5. Appropriate
I agree with the elements stated above. A good logo should first and foremost, be easily recognized and memorable. After all, it carries out the entire entity of your business. Keep it simple and unique without being overdrawn.

bizmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 04:19 AM   #13
ilovemedia

A good logo is simple, memorable, timeless, versatile and appropriate. All these five characteristics work with each other. When a logo is simple, it is easy to remember. Go easy on fancy effects. You can create unique shapes and designs with clean lines. Limit your colors to 2 or 3. Often, clean and simple logos are not only memorable but can stand the test of time. Clean and simple logos are also versatile meaning they can easily be recognized when transferred to any medium. They should be made in vector format so they are scalable. They should also be easily recognizable even if it is in one color. Last but not the least, a logo should be appropriate for its intended audience. Selecting the proper and suitable color and font is one of the things that should be considered at the beginning of the design process.

Old 1st May 2012, 11:48 AM   #14
enterprisepe

Logos should also aim to be timeless - try and envisage how your logo will look in 20-30 years (provided the business lasts that long).

enterprisepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 02:41 AM   #15
Louis Tanguay

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis Tanguay
Default Logos vs. Branding

I would like to take a step back to the original question and really hone in on something I think is very important. You have two things (one of which is being discussed here). You have Logos and you have Branding. Ideally, you want the logo to be an extension of the brand. I'll dive right in...

When you create a BRAND, you're creating an identity and messaging style. You're also creating a sub-conscious feeling when people look at your materials. What colors will you use? Are they appropriate to your business model, business style, and products/services? What fonts do you use? Are they appropriate to communicate your business to potential customers?

If you saw a Lawyer who used an orange Comic Sans font for all their type then you wouldn't care much about their logo being the Scales of Justice. Your logo, and brand start with the first question, "What am I selling, to whom, and in what way will this identity be best communicated visually and in the written word?"

Now that you have established your brand identity, now developing your "logo" is much easier and the end result will be much better and much more effective. Your logo now knows what it wants to be, and what it's supposed to communicate.

Now, the lawyer client in our example will most likely use a serif font, with strong grounding colors and maybe the scales are incorporated into the words somehow or there are visual keys to communicate the particular brand of law, whether they are prosecutors or defendants, and what kind of sub-section of law they practice. The "logo" may now include a more targeted and aspirational tag line, too. Like, "Smith, Rosenbloom & Gold" ... "We Are On Your Side" or "We Win After YOU Win"...

But now we're entering into the next stage of branding....messaging.

Louis Tanguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 04:34 AM   #16
Peter Biskind

A Logo is always representing some kind of company or service.
If you look at it and can tell what kind of company or service it represents in 3 seconds, than it is a quite good logo

Peter Biskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 12:01 PM   #17
bizmaverick

A logo is a way of making your brand known, it works like a signature. This is why it has to be memorable, striking and should embody what your business represents.

bizmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 02:28 PM   #18
StuartMackenzie

Send a message via Skype™ to StuartMackenzie
Smile Thoughts on Logo Design

It seems to me that in this "age of austerity" that "simple memorable and clean" is where it is at today.

I have worked for the same firm for the last 6 years and it has changed its logo so that the only difference between the letterhead paper and the continuation paper is the logo. Furthermore the logo is black out of white and therefore there is no cost of colour printing. Obviously there is a template for all the necessary and obligatory information which is simply printed from the computer.

Simple, memorable and clean in my opinion says it all!

StuartMackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 02:59 AM   #19
chrishanes

In my opinion, professionals make a good logo. I have tried myself onnumerous occasions and failed.

chrishanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 12:18 AM   #20
jonnalynpascual

That's right. For me logo is the essential factor of a business and it is the business trademark. Through logo we can know that it represent that certain business. Choosing a logo must be very careful and must have relationship or must relevant of what type of business you are engage because it might carry your business for it's success.

jonnalynpascual is offline   Reply With Quote