Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd September 2007, 11:09 AM   #1
dbowsher

I am looking for some marketing ideas for a small furniture store, cheap! Anyone?

dbowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:35 PM   #2
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Hi and

First, I'll ask you if you have your own workers who make the furniture. Do you design it your self?

You can start promoting it to your location. Best of luck!

Old 4th September 2007, 06:35 PM   #3
mktgbiz

Well, if you got some elbow grease here's what you do:

1). Email every friend, family member, co-worker, past co-worker, college pals, blah blah 3 times over the next month introducing your company.

2). Create some flyers on your computer. Be sure you offer a special or a freebie for coming into your store. Nobody gets excited about 10% off. Be sure to put your name and contact information at the bottom of the flyer.
Go to Office Depot run off 1000 copies and go distribute them to area businesses. Just walk in and drop them off.

3). Call area apartment communities and ask them if you can buy donuts and coffee for their next managers/leasing agents meeting in exchange for leaving some flyers.

So far you're out about $50.00

4). Prepare a press release and send it out via email to local media - tv, radio, newspaper, etc.

5). List a classified ad on eBay. Costs $9.95 for 30 days. You can list your contact information. It's a beautiful thing.

Under $100. Howz that?

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 12:07 AM   #4
3genconsulting

Default response

wow, guerilla marketing at it's best. You just got your word out to over 1,200 potential customers for around $100. I couldn't have said it better myself, great post.

3genconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 12:35 AM   #5
gunther_arneson

Default Advertising furniture store...

CraigsList.org is also a good way to get the word out.

gunther_arneson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Yep, good ideas from mktbiz. I'd also issue coupons (w/ codes so you can track) via word of mouth, in store and/or on your website. Provide a discount for the customer using the coupon code.

Old 3rd November 2007, 09:46 PM   #7
gunther_arneson

Default furniture store...

I would also get your satisfied customers to give testimonials online.

gunther_arneson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 10:54 AM   #8
TradeShowGuru

Default I agree with online reviews and freebies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunther_arneson View Post
I would also get your satisfied customers to give testimonials online.
Absolutely! I recently went to the ecom expo (an online tradeshow dedicated to online promotion and marketing) and my coworkers and I watched a great speaker who talked about how much it helps to put online reviews on your site because people buy based on what others say.

And I agree with freebies as well. Everyone loves free stuff. If you offer them something useful, that they will re-use (like a tote bag) they'll be glad to get it.

For a furniture store, I'd suggest an inexpensive tape measure. It relates to your business and it's a handy item that they'll keep in the house. If they're interested in buying a new couch, the first step would be to measure it. So why not give them something to do that and add your logo to it.

Sarah

Last edited by TradeShowGuru; 5th November 2007 at 11:08 AM.
TradeShowGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 11:44 AM   #9
pete
VIP Contributor

Have a "going out of business sale". It seems that's something they do around here every weekend.

I may be out of date, but I just don't see furniture buying as an online thing. I'd concentrate on newspaper, local TV and radio, etc.

"No payments until after you're dead!". some of that sort of stuff.

Also "We're moving, come in now and save!" (Before we move that red sofa to the other corner.)

This stuff must work, they just keep doing it each week.

One thing you could do online is have a credit application so they could be "Pre-approved when you walk in the door!"

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 01:33 PM   #10
lithos

One thing I would do is contact interior decorators and people in the real estate staging business. Interior decorators and the people who hire them are not generally buying on price alone. Interior decorators sell service and "class" their clients have already boughten in to that mindset. Offer a discount to the decorators and their clients. As for real estate staging you could offer "display" furniture for the staged house that could be purchased with the house. Most people who buy a new home buy "stuff" to go with it. If the staging isn't their style they will probably still visit your store to look for the perfect fit. You could offer a coupon through real estate agents as well. You might even find a real estate agent who wants to give a free piece of furniture (from your store) for using them to close a deal. You could ive a discount for them, while sharing in the results of thir advertising and work. All of this requires you negotiate your name being displayed with the items and possibly in their advertising.

Just one of countless angles. Mktgbiz had many great cheap ideas as well.

Good Luck