Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th April 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
BIG Mike

Default Is It Really Advertising Or Another Fund Raiser?

An ad in the annual Ladies Club Horse Show Program Book is not advertising. Neither is anything with your name on it in a high school yearbook.

I call 'em Gimmies because the people who "sell" them are not selling advertising. They are looking for a handout. Gimmie! For years these fund raisers have been disguised and pitched as advertising by volunteers associated with the charity, church or school.

Don't confuse Gimmies with Advertising!

BIG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th April 2008, 09:37 AM   #2
mktgbiz

I agree. I do have a take on it though.....sometimes it's called SUPPORT, not advertising.

Last year while taking a road trip with my family I asked my wfie to jot down a note for me as I steered the vehicle northbound. Please write down, so I don't forget when the new school year rolls around to - CONTACT MY HIGH SCHOOL BOOSTER CLUB and ask about advertising rates in the yearbook, or whatever so I could show SUPPORT by using my monies for advertising which actually went back into the school and those who attended.

Will I get anything in return? Don't really care, it's not why I am doing it.

Just my 2 cents.........

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 03:49 AM   #3
Mini-Billboards

Default My spin

Newsletters produced by schools and community groups can provide an effective low cost way for a business to test and measure the effectiveness of an offer before taking the offer to a wider audience.

I can see how some may view the ad as a donation. But by creating an irresistible offer for that specific audience and by turning the ad into a coupon and putting a timelimit on each offer. It would be easy to track the effectiveness of the offer and refine it over a few issues. All the while raising the businesses profile within that community.

Little benefit would be gained if ads were placed annually but if a business was to secure ads in 5-10 issues of a weekly newsletter and test and measure the effectiveness of each offer they would have the ability to refine their marketing message on a small scale before taking an offer to a larger audience.

Often groups are simply looking to cover the cost of production.

What if the advert was a testimonial from a well known member of the group? That would surely benefit the business.

Warmly

Mini-Billboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:02 AM   #4
K&G

I disagree, but I have a child focused business and I'm reaching lots of parents when I advertise in their kid's recital program or yearbook. Especially with the programs, you reach the parents at a warm fuzzy moment. And I don't think it is just a coincidence that after I put an ad on a karate exibition poster I started seeing a kids in karate outfits in the store. These ads are very inexpensive and you wouldn't have to get a huge result to get your money's worth.

Besides...
I don't mind helping out local schools and children's programs.

K&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 11:20 PM   #5
nstockard

I agree with both sides. First, it is hard for me to see any real value in advertising in a school year book... Parents don't read those things...

Second, newsletters can be very useful. They are usually read by parents, and the ads are few so you get more attention.

nstockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 06:22 AM   #6
pete
VIP Contributor

I found a very effective way to handle the folks who come in the door with their hands out. I tell them we have a supporter program, where we will support them with 5% of all purchases made by their members.

If they want, we'll even print up cards for them, but all they actually have to do is have their members mention the group before we ring the sale and the P-O-S system will track the purchase. We will then mail them a check when the balance reaches $ 50 or every quarter.

Little did I realize that 30 years ago, when I came up with this that I was setting up what would in the future be called an affiliate program.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote