Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th April 2011, 04:47 AM   #1
grafikrtist

Default Significance Of Keywords

My graphic design website runs on flash. How then do i optimize it for the web using keywords. Is their a way to edit html? Feel free to contact me for answers.

Anthony

grafikrtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th April 2011, 06:59 AM   #2
iqecommerce

please do not go with keyword optimisation with the site. I guess the site is at scratch and thats why I would insist you to go with the social media stuffs to have a large no of fan followers. Better you can put the channels like FB, T, YouTube, Slideshare and alike. This will increase the traffic.

Then you just design the landing page so that you can increase the conversion.

Feel free to ask us.
IQecommerce

iqecommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 03:44 PM   #3
viper_one
VIP Contributor

the way I understand, its hard for spiders to read those(as web type), but you could use site as a go between two others,

a traffic source
b contact page

I encourage a lot linking to b in the site, and wouldn't expect much contact, on that site's (own) contact page

Old 9th April 2011, 06:21 PM   #4
johncaulfield

Think of your web site as being a formal document with all the keywords you need (best described elsewhere) but then the rest of the off page optimization needs to link to these pages on topics relevant to your site.

johncaulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Social-Media

Even though Google has been reading Flash for many years... and 3 years ago Adobe gave Microsoft, Yahoo!, and Google the specs for reading their Flash binaries... I have heard Matt Cutts at Google say in person that it will be a decade before flash sites begin ranking well, and they will NEVER rank as well as an HTML site.

Flash has MANY things going against it from an SEO perspective, not the least of which is the fact that "most" Flash sites are single pages (the site home page) that loads up an SWF file. Flash sites do NOT get to take advantage of typical on-site/on-page SEO techniques. Instead they are 99.999% dependent on off-site SEO - i.e. inbound links from OTHER sites.

A 100 page Flash site typically has a single URL (home page) that loads up an SWF. All navigation to the 100 pages is typically within the SWF file. So all 100 pages of Flash content get indexed and associated with 1 URL - the home page. Which means you get 1 <title>, 1 h1, a set of h2s, one keyword rich URL "if" your domain is keyword rich, etc.

A 100 page HTML site on the other hand has 100 distinct URLs each of which can be keyword rich. Each page can target a different keyword phrase (or closely related phrases) using its own <title>, <h1>, <h2>s, content, etc.

Most Flash sites are created because developers enjoy working with Flash because it's "cool". Most of the time, however, they rarely use features in Flash that couldn't almost be duplicated in HTML.

Flash has it's place. IMO it should be used for things like ad widgets - simple components that make up only part of a page... and NEVER should be used to build an entire site.

If you want your site to rank, use HTML/CSS. If you don't care about your site ranking and the only thing you care about is having a "cool" site to list on a business card (and the only way you want to be found is via business cards), have at it!

Old 13th April 2011, 11:07 AM   #6
iqecommerce

Your contact page may not be the landing page or the conversion page always. Yes thats an option. I would suggest that if you have fixed any USP for your site, make it the landing page, people will talk and conversion will increase.

iqecommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Lucky Adam

Keywords play important role in the SEO. If you have done keyword analysis rightly, it becomes easier for you target or focus your efforts regarding the niche you are working on.

Lucky Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 10:39 PM   #8
MaxwellSmart

If your site is built totally in Flash, pretty much the only way to get it to rank well in the organic listing for your targeted keyword phrase is via inbound links. Flash sites generally do NOT rank well in natural/organic search listings.

My recommendation would be to fire the person/company who built it in Flash and rebuild it so that it is SEO friendly... i.e. so browsers AND crawlers see all of your content rendered in HTML instead of "hiding" it an Adobe SWF file.

MaxwellSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
Even though Google has been reading Flash for many years... and 3 years ago Adobe gave Microsoft, Yahoo!, and Google the specs for reading their Flash binaries... I have heard Matt Cutts at Google say in person that it will be a decade before flash sites begin ranking well, and they will NEVER rank as well as an HTML site.

Flash has MANY things going against it from an SEO perspective, not the least of which is the fact that "most" Flash sites are single pages (the site home page) that loads up an SWF file. Flash sites do NOT get to take advantage of typical on-site/on-page SEO techniques. Instead they are 99.999% dependent on off-site SEO - i.e. inbound links from OTHER sites.

A 100 page Flash site typically has a single URL (home page) that loads up an SWF. All navigation to the 100 pages is typically within the SWF file. So all 100 pages of Flash content get indexed and associated with 1 URL - the home page. Which means you get 1 <title>, 1 h1, a set of h2s, one keyword rich URL "if" your domain is keyword rich, etc.

A 100 page HTML site on the other hand has 100 distinct URLs each of which can be keyword rich. Each page can target a different keyword phrase (or closely related phrases) using its own <title>, <h1>, <h2>s, content, etc.

Most Flash sites are created because developers enjoy working with Flash because it's "cool". Most of the time, however, they rarely use features in Flash that couldn't almost be duplicated in HTML.

Flash has it's place. IMO it should be used for things like ad widgets - simple components that make up only part of a page... and NEVER should be used to build an entire site.

If you want your site to rank, use HTML/CSS. If you don't care about your site ranking and the only thing you care about is having a "cool" site to list on a business card (and the only way you want to be found is via business cards), have at it!
This is a perfect response when dealing with on page SEO. You can undergo an link building campaign that could help you with SEO.

Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 05:37 AM   #10
wenbvantechnz

Though your website is in flash at least you can add Meta information in that and there you can use keywords which you want to target.

And after doing this you can go for the Off page optimization and link building.

wenbvantechnz is offline   Reply With Quote