Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th September 2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default Quickbooks

I'm definitely far from an accountant. I'm kind of stuck in the search world. The only thing I know is I bought a cheap Quickbooks clone and it seems to be ok.

I have a couple neighbors who do tax accounting and they've recommended making the switch. Their reasoning is that Quickbooks is that so many accountants are familiar with it and the 200 bucks for the basic edition would pay for itself in their labor costs. It makes sense to me, but I wanted to run it by people who were more familiar with this than myself.

Maybe I shouldn't of slept through that year of college accounting.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Old 8th September 2004, 08:24 AM   #2
copywriter

I was advised by my CPA to get QB last year and did. At first I HATED it with a passion. Like you, I'm NOT the accounting type by any stretch of the imagination. However, I have to admit that after learning just a couple of the modules (banking and customers primarily) it really has made my life easier.

Whether it would be worth it for you to switch from what you have to QB, I really can't say. But I'm glad I bought it now that I've had time to learn to use it.

Old 8th September 2004, 10:11 AM   #3
David Wallace

I'm still using Quickbooks 5.0. I'm too cheap to upgrade and too lazy to learn any new features. It serves its purpose. I actually use Quicken as an electronic checkbook register and then Quickbooks to keep track of all sales and expenses.

Maybe one day I'll upgrade... maybe one day.

Old 8th September 2004, 10:58 PM   #4
Robert
Administrator

April,

Did you ever have an opportunity to try the online version of QuickBooks? I've heard good things about it, but I don't know if it wouldn't be better to just go with the standard software version.

Old 8th September 2004, 11:27 PM   #5
StupidScript
Administrator

Fortunately <grin> my accounting experience is quite limited, however I have implemented several solutions <ahem> for the business-types I work with. Integration with existing systems seems to be a primary need. After that, ease-of-use and purchase price run close seconds.

For integration, the Quick* solutions seem to be the most popular. My wife's business uses Peachtree Accounting, however it's all local ... they don't use server-based updating or anything.

At home and at work, we use Quicken for bookkeeping (love that word!), but no invoicing/client system, because we can interface with our banks and accountants with no problem.

Re: ease-of-use: The mysteries of accountants remain opaque to me, so ease-of-use could be determined to be quite relative. They're all a bit not-easy-to-use, to me.

So ... integration, ease-of-use, and maintenance cost ... in that order, seem to be the poll results from my neck of the woods.

Last edited by StupidScript; 8th September 2004 at 11:30 PM.
StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 02:55 AM   #6
gdcom1

I've used Quickbooks and also disliked it at first. The truth is, any accounting program will seem Greek to most people for quite some time. I have used several accounting systems over the years, AccPac, MYOB, ICode AccWare, and Quickbooks. I am just now starting to like Quickbooks. None of the other programs ever grew on me.

The things I like most:
1) Integrated Federal Express Shipping with a 10% discount. I ship 90% Federal Express Home delivery and it is simply click ...add package dims/weight....and out spits the label.

2) Integrated Quickbooks merchant account. After a customer is added, it's one click to process. I process my orders offline through Quickbooks because I have both local and ecommerce sales. The rates are fair 2.39% ecommerce, 1.89% card swiped. Approx 25% of the eCommerce sales blow through at 1.89%. These rates are not the best but a great starter plan. The monthly is only $ 17.95 a month and .25 cents per transaction. No statement or add-on fees. My laptop with a tiny card swiper and my Verizon cell phone connected creates a mobile card process center wherever needed. No extra monthly charges for other hardware.

Grunts:
I really wish multiple running Quickbooks could be synced together. A person running quotes in the field cannot dump a day’s work into main system. I could go on and on about dislikes, but I haven't found anything better.

Scott

gdcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2004, 11:41 AM   #7
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Default QuickBooks for dummies and Localmns

Thanks to Linda for putting this article on SBB...
Intuit Builds a Quicker QuickBooks

Quote:
When compared to the standard QuickBooks, the setup is significantly trimmed down and simplified. Getting started involves answering basic questions on three set-up screens
Any thoughts? It doesn't look like it would work if you have a payroll or inventory, but apparently you can upgrade very easily if needed. I'm about ready to get it tomorrow.

The victim... I mean nice person who agreed to do my tax accounting should be very happy as well.

Paul

Old 20th November 2004, 01:33 AM   #8
mapbooks4u
VIP Contributor

Hi everyone!

I have used Quick Books Premier and Pro. I now have QBs Pro 2002, 2003 and 2004. It seems to get better and better.

The best features I enjoy are in the '03 and '04 versions:

I can email right out of QBs, my customers their invoices. (Great for those drop ships! No added expense for postage.)

I can fax right out of QBs, my purchase orders to my vendors. (Perfect for when I am on vacation or a business trip.)

It keeps track of my inventory for me and can be set up to remind me when to reorder merchandise. <--

The ability to customize my forms to my liking has enabled me to create some very professional looking invoices, purchase orders, etc.

I am able to view reports on just about every aspect of my business in text or in graphs.

An accountant' s copy can be formed and sent electronically to my tax man.

Etc. etc., etc. (I could literally go on and on.)

I purchased each of my QBs Pro versions brand new from Best Buy and Sam' s Club for a little more than $100.00 each because of Intuit' s wonderful rebate and upgrade plans. (My first copy of QBs was about $68.00 and then the following years I qualified for the upgrade rebates!)