Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th November 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
marko1286

Talking Backlinks - The Most Important Factor In Determine Your WebSite Ranking

Generally, the only and most important factor in determining your website ranking is the number of backlinks you have pointing back to your site. The more backlinks you have, the higher your site is ranked. It doesn't really matters how aged your site is or whatsoever. If your website do not have backlinks, it means that the site attract minimal interest among web users in Google eyes.

To put it in the simplest terms, backlinks are links from other websites and blogs back to your website. They increase your visibility on the web and also make the search engines really happy with you. It sounds easy, but getting links can take some time and effort.

Also, did we mention the spiders and bots? They work on behalf of the search engines. These technological marvels crawl not just content but also inbound links (backlinks) to your website. So, you’d probably figure that you can go to every website you can and post a link back to your site, wouldn’t you? In the grand scheme of things, this is not always a good idea.

Here’s why. Those bots are smarter than you think. They even evaluate the types of backlinks you get. For instance, let’s say that you are just beginning and are trying to establish yourself. You go to other sites and ask to exchange links with them for free. Some are readily eager so you do it. As it turns out, these sites are offensive, plagiarize content and don’t know the first thing about keyword optimization.

Now, all of these things won’t be true at the same time but it goes to prove a point. A poorly kept website or even a troublemaking one can lower the quality of your backlinks and thus your favor with the search engines. What you want is backlinks that are of the same or preferably better quality as your site.

Of course, quality backlinks do play a part too. But, how do you determine quality? One way is to look at their following. Do they have a lot of readers? Are their articles rated on the first page of search engine results? Does everyone know their name (just like “Cheers”)?

Keep your links within your chosen niche. While there may be some gardening websites with a high search engine ranking, linking here won’t do you any good if your website sells crafting supplies. The bots look at that too.

So, what criteria do you need to consider when approaching the subject of backlinks?

• Choose similar or better quality websites to use for your backlinks
• Choose websites and blogs with similar topics of interest as yours
• Ask friends and family members with websites (of good rep, of course) to exchange links with you

Get the word out about your website. Use any resources you have available to you first and then go searching for other high-quality sites to bring you more traffic. Building backlinks is a simple task but involves hard work and consistency. So in the long run, people who put in the extra effort will see results more than those lazy bums who did little or no work..

marko1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th November 2009, 05:44 AM   #2
AirForce1

Send a message via MSN to AirForce1

Nice sharing, thanks.
I think links might include 2 parts: backlinks and inner links. A well-structured on page link system would help your SERP, too.

Regards,

AirForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
EC23Shop

Yes, Backlinks important factor of website ranking, Content and site structure are also important factor.

EC23Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 01:00 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I would disagree that in the normal course of events links are ever the "only" factor for ranking of a business site. (Sure, there may be some special situations like a Google Bomb, but those are very much out of the ordinary -- and Google claims they've taken steps to make them less likely to happen.)

Links are an important factor, but they are not necessarily even the most important factor. Google looks at over 200 different factors when determining a page's rank, so no individual factor has overwhelming weight to start with. And on average they update their algorithm about once a day, every business day, all year long, so the weight that one element had last week might be very different from the weight it has this week.

Beyond that, Google and Yahoo and Bing and all the other search engines out there each have their own algorithms with their own weighting. What's true for Google may not be true for any of the others, and vice versa.

IMO, the best practice for optimization is to follow a balanced strategy. External links, internal links, content and coding are all important. I believe focusing entirely (or even almost entirely) on any one factor to the exclusion of the rest is a short-sited, short-term tactic. Personally, I prefer to optimize for long-term success.

My

--Torka

Old 13th November 2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Sas123

Links are definitely important but be sure your links are good. I mean, they should be do follow otherwise Google's bots won't consider them.

Old 3rd December 2009, 02:23 AM   #6
blue1128

I think backlinks are really important if you want to be indexed much faster too. I did a little experiment myself. I did some backlinks for my blog and got my blog indexed by google in a matter of few hours.

blue1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
lawguy

Does anyone have suggestions for services that produce the dofollow backlinks for you?

lawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 01:56 PM   #8
ihatebusy

I think backlink is not only a good source of traffic but a strong basis of your high ranking.

ihatebusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 03:12 PM   #9
jsingerston

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
I would disagree that in the normal course of events links are ever the "only" factor for ranking of a business site. (Sure, there may be some special situations like a Google Bomb, but those are very much out of the ordinary -- and Google claims they've taken steps to make them less likely to happen.)

Links are an important factor, but they are not necessarily even the most important factor. Google looks at over 200 different factors when determining a page's rank, so no individual factor has overwhelming weight to start with.

--Torka

I could not agree more. Links matter more in highly competitive searches. In low competition searches you might not need more than one single link to your entire website in order to get it to rank in position one for that search. Hell you might not need any so long as your page is indexed. You might want to get some anyway to make sure it stays indexed though.

It all depends on what you are competing against. Instead of just thinking about links, think about how to make one page more relevant for that search. Relevancy is by far the most important factor that Google is trying to determine. That is why page titles make a huge difference. It is also why anchor text matters. Think relevancy before popularity.

jsingerston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 02:25 PM   #10
TonyIdem

Send a message via AIM to TonyIdem Send a message via Skype™ to TonyIdem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsingerston View Post
I could not agree more. Links matter more in highly competitive searches. In low competition searches you might not need more than one single link to your entire website in order to get it to rank in position one for that search. Hell you might not need any so long as your page is indexed. You might want to get some anyway to make sure it stays indexed though.

It all depends on what you are competing against. Instead of just thinking about links, think about how to make one page more relevant for that search. Relevancy is by far the most important factor that Google is trying to determine. That is why page titles make a huge difference. It is also why anchor text matters. Think relevancy before popularity.
Both of you guys are spot on. It's really all about relevancy. All the links on earth will not help you if your search results do not coincide with what someone was actually searching for.

I think that a lot of people excited about SEO sometimes forget that the whole point is not just ranking in the #1 position in Google. (well, I guess it kinda is) But the question to ask is why?

Think like your targeted audience and create pages on your site that answers those while leading them towards some action to take. Get those pages ranked highly by and see the real magic happen...

TonyIdem is offline   Reply With Quote